Knobs OSC 1 + 2 FREQ: jumpiness, MODULATION info dissapears fast

Knobs OSC 1 + 2 FREQ: jumpiness, MODULATION info dissapears fast
« on: December 17, 2017, 06:26:06 AM »
All of a sudden I can't set the Freq of Osc 1 + 2 correctly, the value jumps around, and when I let the knob go, the value falls/rises without me doing anything!

And sometimes the MODULATION info dissapears from the display after half a second or so..

What could be wrong?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Knobs OSC 1 + 2 FREQ: jumpiness, MODULATION info dissapears fast
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 08:31:48 AM »
All of a sudden I can't set the Freq of Osc 1 + 2 correctly, the value jumps around, and when I let the knob go, the value falls/rises without me doing anything!

And sometimes the MODULATION info dissapears from the display after half a second or so..

What could be wrong?

Are you connected via MIDI to a computer sending MIDI data back to the REV2? (MIDI ECHO) ... my Program Encoder behave exactly like this when LOCAL is set to OFF, and my DAW is echoing the MIDI data that it receives from the REV2 back to it again...

LOCAL OFF mode works a bit weird in some cases and also have a few bugs still...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 10:16:08 PM »
Thanks!

Although I'm not connected to a computer and never set LOCAL to "off", I also think it must be a MIDI-Problem. As my MIDI surroundings are quite complex with the Arturia BeatStepPro as the master as really a lot of slaves... I'll check the MIDI-settings and perhaps re-wire my components...

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 10:06:10 PM »
I haven't found out what the reason is yet...

But the strange thing is, that the jumpiness and "self-changing" of the Osc Freq continues even after unplugging all MIDI-connections from the REV2...!? So, doesn't that indicate that this it not a MIDI-Problem?

This issue happens not always, only sometimes. But when it is notable, it remains even if I switch to another program/bank...

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 11:22:18 PM »

But the strange thing is, that the jumpiness and "self-changing" of the Osc Freq continues even after unplugging all MIDI-connections from the REV2...!? So, doesn't that indicate that this it not a MIDI-Problem?

This issue happens not always, only sometimes. But when it is notable, it remains even if I switch to another program/bank...

Have you contacted DSI support about it yet ? And if so, what did they say ?
You might have a defective control panel board...
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 01:35:03 AM »

Without MIDI connections, it cannot be a MIDI loop... so I'd contact support as well... it could be a defect encoder that are constantly switching between up and down for a while until settling... mine does not behave like that when off MIDI... but I do have a few encoders that take two steps from one click when I move the said encoders counter clockwize from time to time... the endless joy of encoders :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 04:44:30 AM »
Thanks! So I'll contact the support... Hope it won't get to complicated because I live in Germany...

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 07:30:01 AM »
Thanks! So I'll contact the support... Hope it won't get to complicated because I live in Germany...

I'm not a Rev2 guy so I can't help with your specific issue, but I'm also in Germany. When I had an issue with my P6, DSI support were helpful right away. We tried to troubleshoot back and forth and finally it was decided I should send my synth back to Thomann for repair. All was covered by warranty. Ultimately it turned out my problem was a USB ground loop, nothing to do with the synth. But again, DSI were really patient and I had no problems going back and forth with them. Drop them a line and I bet they help sort things out quickly.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:47:48 AM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 09:11:03 AM »

For what it's worth, I'm in Canada and I had to contact DSI for my OB6, and REV2, and both times the response was quick and helpful. I'm currently awaiting to receive parts for my REV2 (defective encoders).

BTW, I also have bad experiences in general with encoders in the past, from many different manufacturers. They always seem to fail at some point, either due to getting worn down, or dirty.

But in the case of the REV2, I suspect it might also have to do with a feature called "software acceleration", in which the OS checks the speed at which values are being changed by the encoder, and if it's turned more rapidly, the software will skip values to get from one end to the other of the whole range. And if an encoder is "scratchy" between steps, it might fool the system in thinking that the encoder is turned rapidly, when in fact it is not, and trigger the value skipping inadvertently... ? (just guessing, but that's what it looks like to me)
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 10:04:33 PM »
Thanks, that's good to know.

I recieved a reply from the Support: The first thing I should try is a global reset. I'll do that when I'm back home...

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 09:51:41 PM »
... Global reset didn't clear the issue. Then the support suggested to turn the knobs about 50 times the whole way to clean them - also no success.

As things were quite irritating at first, I noticed later that the issue is not on both OSC, but "only" on OSC 1.
(When I turn the freq up and let go, it goes further up by itself.
When I turn the freq down and let go, it goes sometimes further down by itself or sometimes - does as it should - holds the value.
But it's hard to set the freq of Osc 1 anyway because it reacts so jumpy and often/mostly doesn't follow right to the turning movements of the knob.)

So then the support offered 2 options to me: To send me a replacement pot or do a board swap.
I decided to do the board swap.
The new board should be on it's way and will hopefully arrive soon...

Does anyone know if I have to expect any customs fees/taxes when I receive it in Germany?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 09:57:17 PM by Kai-vD »

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 09:34:35 AM »

Does anyone know if I have to expect any customs fees/taxes when I receive it in Germany?

I would think that if there are any such fees DSI will take care of it, since the board replacement is under warranty, and especially when you'll have to do the "repair" work (easy to do, but still) yourself on top of that !

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 10:06:44 AM »
In general, there should be no EU customs fees for temporary-imported parts marked as repair replacements, provided that you return the defective parts to the manufacturer: http://tulli.fi/en/private-persons/more-on-customs-clearance/goods-returned-from-repair-maintenance-or-replacement
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 10:50:27 PM »
Thanks for the helpful replys!