Triangle wave buzz

lt773

Triangle wave buzz
« on: January 13, 2016, 05:31:16 PM »
When I open up the cutoff to about 3/4 and further, the triangle wave starts to make a more buzzy less pure triangle sound. Does this normally happen with the triangle wave when the filter is open all the way up? I haven't had a synth that has done this before and I was just wondering if this is normal on the 6.

Re: Triangle wave buzz
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 04:35:14 AM »
I noticed this, and it shows up on an oscilloscope. I'd love to know if its 'normal' too.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 09:14:52 AM »
If you run the mixer level down for the oscillator does it stop buzzing?

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 12:15:35 PM »
I never noticed until I saw this post - was able to replicate what you are referring to.  BobTheDog - it stays there even if you turn mixer levels down.  For comparison sake I cranked open the filter on a triangle wave on the Prophet 12 and my Minimoog Voyager.  While less pronounced both tend to buzz a bit - which I expect with a triangle to some degree.  Might just be the character of the P6 that this is more pronounced.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 03:55:21 PM »
Ok, I was wondering if it might have been clipping.

My voyagers triangle is plain nasty, very buzzy.

Seems a shame that the P6 has it as well.

lt773

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:23:20 PM »
Well it's good to hear I'm not alone. I feel like it's probably just the nature of this particular triangle wave. It doesn't really bother me all that much, but I'd like to hear DSI's word on it.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 02:12:53 AM »
I noticed the same thing a few hours after getting the P6 and was quite disappointed. I checked online and found some videos reviews that confirmed that this is a part of the P6 sonic characteristics, and even maybe Dave Smith sonic characteristics.
I was even about to return the synth because I don't really like that triangle sound.
But I try to forget about it and played with the synth and I love it.
Of course to make it perfect i'd rather have a purer triangle and even a sine wave but you can't have everything and the more i play with the synth the more i like it.

blewis

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 05:11:24 AM »
Demand a firmware update for the Prophet 6 triangle wave now!  8)

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 05:11:06 AM »
Yes the p6 triangle waveform has more harmonics than it should. It makes Hammond organ simulation more tricky, since you have to use the filter to cutoff the buzziness.

#Update: I got out my Mini Moog yesterday and ran a comparison along side the Prophet. The Prophet 6 triangle wave sounds almost identical to the Moog's intermediate shaped wave that comes between the triangle and the sawtooth. It's a nice sounding waveform but it isn't a conventional triangle waveform.

Did the original Prophet 5 have a proper triangle wave?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 05:41:19 AM by Hector Space »
Big synth stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkR38XLkFear5Sf9QypQvA
| Kurzweil Forte | Casio Privia PX 5s | Nord Electro 3 73 | Studiologic Sledge Black| Roland Juno Di | DSI Prophet 6 | Oberheim DPX 1 | EMU Esi 4000 | 2 x Yamaha Tx7 |