Dedicated MIDI + DAW subforum

Dedicated MIDI + DAW subforum
« on: December 20, 2017, 05:02:06 AM »
Would it be worthwhile to have a subforum dedicated to MIDI + DAW operational FAQs for DSI products?

Nearly all of the instrument-specific threads have questions relating to CCs / NRPNs / USB MIDI interactions with DAWs (Logic, Ableton, etc.); perhaps there would be a benefit of collecting that information in one place?

It would also be an excellent landing spot to move these sorts of threads to, out of the instrument-specific subforums, as they're fairly common, regular questions. A sticky at the top of each subforum could point to the MIDI + DAW FAQs.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:05:54 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Re: Dedicated MIDI + DAW subforum
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 06:42:31 AM »
Fair call!

Regards

Would it be worthwhile to have a subforum dedicated to MIDI + DAW operational FAQs for DSI products?

Nearly all of the instrument-specific threads have questions relating to CCs / NRPNs / USB MIDI interactions with DAWs (Logic, Ableton, etc.); perhaps there would be a benefit of collecting that information in one place?

It would also be an excellent landing spot to move these sorts of threads to, out of the instrument-specific subforums, as they're fairly common, regular questions. A sticky at the top of each subforum could point to the MIDI + DAW FAQs.

Thoughts?
Tim

dsetto

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:35:20 PM »
+1

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 12:12:01 PM »
My guess is that people looking for really specific MIDI/DAW implementation info about a DSI synth would tend to look first at their specific instrument's forum. I suspect that it's pretty rare that people are looking for general info about that sort of thing and while, for these people, having that knowledge in one place would be useful, it might end up misleading or confusing those who want instrument specific information.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 04:17:37 PM »
My guess is that people looking for really specific MIDI/DAW implementation info about a DSI synth would tend to look first at their specific instrument's forum. I suspect that it's pretty rare that people are looking for general info about that sort of thing and while, for these people, having that knowledge in one place would be useful, it might end up misleading or confusing those who want instrument specific information.

That would be my concern as well. If I own and use a particular instrument, I look for the subforum that's named after this instrument first.

On top of that, a subforum for MIDI- and DAW-related topics and issues would end up with threads about all instruments, from the Evolvers via the Tempest to the latest Rev2. And that could be perceived as quite chaotic, especially once there are threads about instrument-specific functions and parameters. In order to set up a dedicated MIDI and DAW subforum in the most consistent way, one would also have to migrate all of the already existing corresponding threads from the dedicated instrument subforums to this new place, which would be quite an endeavour.

So maybe an alternative would be a sticky topic in each instrument-specific subforum named "MIDI + DAW FAQs", which could then be put together and updated by the most experienced users.