Program volume as mod destination?

rb415

Program volume as mod destination?
« on: December 11, 2017, 08:23:54 AM »
Hi everyone. I've searched the manual and forum for this - couldn't find anything much.

REV2 16 voice here - I'm needing to program a bunch of dual layer patches which allow a crossfade between layer A and B using expression pedal or mod wheel.

I initially assumed that program volume would be a modulation destination - then a crossfade would be dead easy to set up, using one mod matrix slot in each layer. One program/layer on volume 0, + modulation amount. The other on volume 127 (or whatever), - modulation amount. But it seems that's not an option.

As I understand it, the overall level of a program, even before hitting the program volume parameter, is a combination of VCA Env amount and VCA velocity sensitivity. So I can set up these dual-layer crossfades, but for many patches I find I need to modulate both the VCA parameters, which can be a little fiddly, to get exactly right.

Am I missing something obvious? I wonder if program volume ever could become a modulation destination - it'd also allow for simple tremolos etc.

Thank you! Robin

Re: Program volume as mod destination?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 03:00:35 PM »
You can just modulate the parameter "VCA".  Don't use env amount or vca velocity.

Just be sure to have your filter cutoff low enough so the vca modulation doesn't produce sound after your envelope release phase ends.

Re: Program volume as mod destination?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 05:44:33 PM »
I would actually quite appreciate this being added, as well. Yes, there are ways to do it, as long as you don't mind making sure the patch is built in ways that would work specifically for that purpose. However, it would make patch-building in this manner a fair bit simpler (and more flexible) if this very simple modulation destination was added.