Global LFO mode ?

Global LFO mode ?
« on: December 04, 2017, 10:26:39 PM »
Hi, new owner of a REV2-16 here. I was wondering if there's a way to have a global LFO, meaning that it would act like a single LFO for all voices ? Aside from using the Key Sync mode ? I didn't see anything about that in the manual.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Re: Global LFO mode ?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 07:32:20 AM »
Hi, new owner of a REV2-16 here. I was wondering if there's a way to have a global LFO, meaning that it would act like a single LFO for all voices ? Aside from using the Key Sync mode ? I didn't see anything about that in the manual.

Hey there, the short answer is no.

But there is a pretty good work around that you can read about here http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,2027.0.html

or the TL;DR method to get them synced:

-press unison button while holding misc params (this is shortcut to that area in menu)
-turn unison mode to all of your available voices (8 or 16)
-turn on unison
-turn on key sync on lfo then press a note. The lfos are now synced.
-turn off key sync and turn off unison
-this should work exactly like what you are looking for.

This works because you are using unison + key sync to trigger all voices at once (and by consequence, their lfos.)

When you turn off keysync and unison, the lfos per voice are now freely moving yet they are still running in tandem from the syncing we did. Since are digital, they should stay synced for ever and function as the global LFO across all voices.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:38:59 PM »
Thanks Philroyjenkins, that's a good tip!
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 10:30:12 AM »
Brilliant tip philroyjenkins!

This really opens up a whole new palette on this thing. Thanks!

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 11:02:47 AM »
For the record, I didn't discover this workaround. Someone through that link did.

Somewhat related to this issue. Before I heard about this work around, I would set the mono delay to its minimum time, minimum feedback and full wet. You can then LFO the delay time for an interesting sort of global vibrato that doesn't quite cycle right.

This is because the Triangle LFO is bipolar meaning it goes up from its baseline and dips below its baseline. Because you are modulating the delay speed parameter which is already as low as it can go, it cannot dip any low. What you get is a sort of hiccup when the upper part of the triangle hits.

You can even dial back in some feedback or dry signal on the delay and experiment. I use this for tape warble or broken flanger kind of sounds. Lots of fun to be had!

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 06:25:30 PM »
wow great tip!

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 11:31:28 AM »
That's indeed a good tip. But it doesn't fix the issue of the Random waveform generating different random values for each voice, instead of a global random value for all voices.