Midi Thru/Out 2 (Problem?)

ARNK

• Audio wishes from planet Mars / MEME DespiZer
    • Returning to Zero
Midi Thru/Out 2 (Problem?)
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:55:33 AM »
Hey guys.

So I'm trying to connect a 5-pin DIN from Midi Thru/Out 2 to a second synthesizer (Moog Minitaur) but the messages aren't being received by the Minitaur. MIDI Port 2 Thru/Out is set to "Out" in the Global settings.

The suspicious part is, I have the main MIDI Out connected to a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru, when I remove the MIDI cable from the Out 2 port on the PRO 2 and instead plug it into one of the four Quardra Thru outputs, the messages are passed on and I can in fact control the Minitaur.

The Minitaur simply has one 5-pin MIDI In connection.

Any idea why this might be?

Kind regards
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:59:16 AM by ARNK »
The greater the humiliation, the greater the rate of evaporation of that feeling and all subsequent dispositions. Make a comfortable world not a hot one.

Re: Midi Thru/Out 2 (Problem?)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 04:23:24 AM »
Hi,

DSI (among other companies) gear does not supply the necessary power via midi for Midi solutions products to work.

The Midi solutions website has the current list of gear that does not power the Midi thru/Merge ect of their range.

http://www.midisolutions.com/faqs.htm

Ive been down this road before trying my Mopho, Prophet 08 and Tempest but alas no power to the Midi solutions product.

Old Korg rack stuff (EX8000 and DVP1 seem to power it)

You could  get creative and use another device that the Midi out is not going to be sending to the Minitaur but DOES  power the Midi solutions box and then run the Pro 2's input into the non-power input.

You will need to either use a compatible instruments midi out (I use a Korg DVP1) to power the device or purchase a powered thru from Kenton ect.
Kenton.co.uk

Kenton stuff is great quality, powers the midi lines fully and are very robust.

Hope that clarifies things!

Tim

Hey guys.

So I'm trying to connect a 5-pin DIN from Midi Thru/Out 2 to a second synthesizer (Moog Minitaur) but the messages aren't being received by the Minitaur. MIDI Port 2 Thru/Out is set to "Out" in the Global settings.

The suspicious part is, I have the main MIDI Out connected to a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru, when I remove the MIDI cable from the Out 2 port on the PRO 2 and instead plug it into one of the four Quardra Thru outputs, the messages are passed on and I can in fact control the Minitaur.

Kind regards
Tim

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »
Quote: "You could  get creative and use another device that the Midi out is not going to be sending to the Minitaur but DOES  power the Midi solutions box and then run the Pro 2's input into the non-power input.
You will need to either use a compatible instruments midi out (I use a Korg DVP1) to power the device."

I was thinking of their Merge product here.  :P

In regards to the Midi solutions Quadra Thru ,Your method to bypass the input and run into an output of the Thru box is similar to just daisy chaining thru's on devices and may work but is probably not how the device was intended and midi data reliability may be an issue.

The Midi solutions Midi thru would only then work properly and consistently if you run an appropriate device that can supply the midi power into the input of the device.

A powered Midi thru or device saves a lot of the diagnostic headaches when it comes to midi!

Cheers.

Tim

Hey guys.

Kind regards
Tim

ARNK

• Returning to Zero
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 05:55:37 PM »
Hmm Hmm.

Well, considering the Korg DVP1 isn't an option :o

A powered Midi thru or device saves a lot of the diagnostic headaches when it comes to midi!

Are you referring to the Kenton here?

Thanks
The greater the humiliation, the greater the rate of evaporation of that feeling and all subsequent dispositions. Make a comfortable world not a hot one.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:54:04 PM »
Yes.

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/m-thru-5.shtml

I have a few Midi thru and Merge devices(Midi solutions/Anatek and Kenton) and the Kenton is brilliant because it's powered and as discussed before the Midi solutions is fussy with it's power input requirements.

There are probably other brands of powered midi thru/merge ect out there but the Kenton works a treat with no issues here!

Good luck.
Tim

Hmm Hmm.

Well, considering the Korg DVP1 isn't an option :o

Are you referring to the Kenton here?

Thanks
Tim

ARNK

• Returning to Zero
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 07:01:47 PM »
Awesome, thank you boss.