KORG minilogue

Re: KORG minilogue
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 11:25:37 AM »
Don't worry, they will be more impolite posters along in a while.....

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 11:54:01 AM »
Heh, heh.  Well it's certainly not impoliteness that I'm missing. 

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 12:06:56 PM »

dslsynth

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 12:07:32 PM »
I would say: calm it down. Both sides have good points to make.

Some of us do not have very large gear budgets like those needed for DSI style jewels and there Korg's cheaper instruments are certainly welcomed! Its important for keeping a good forum spirit that small budget types are not frowned upon. Also there are good points to make on build quality even on DSI/Sequential instruments. Remember the wobbling pots discussion on a certain $2k instrument on the other forum? DSI makes great machines but they are certainly not perfect.

I think the Korg Minilogue is interesting in that its the first really affordable mass produced analog poly out there. Will be interesting to hear how it sounds and what the voices actually have to offer. And how DSI reacts to it. Hopefully not by continuing in the current jewel only direction. But its quite likely it could be so.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 12:30:52 PM »
I think every discussion on this forum - including this one - is calm.  There's nothing to moderate, which certainly makes the job easy.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 12:32:38 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 12:37:44 PM »
The calmness is good. Also I have the feeling that some of us moderate ourselves because the forum is moderated and hence a lot more restricted than the old forum. So it will be interesting to see how the forum and its mood evolves over time. Can go in both directions.

It was fun to see Sonic Talk today. Several panel members mentioned the Korg Minilogue but Nick Batt have signed a Korg NDA so he could not mention anything about it. Wonder how Korg reacts to what happened in that Sonic Talk show? Anyway the cat is out of the bag and its affordable. Just wondering how cute the purrs are and how nasty the claws can be.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 01:41:16 PM »
I think the Korg Minilogue is interesting in that its the first really affordable mass produced analog poly out there. Will be interesting to hear how it sounds and what the voices actually have to offer. And how DSI reacts to it. Hopefully not by continuing in the current jewel only direction. But its quite likely it could be so.

It will certainly create competition, which is always a good thing. No matter if it's for you or not, what is encouraging about it is the fact that this is no reissue, which might mean that Korg is going to continue in this direction.

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 01:42:41 PM »
It was fun to see Sonic Talk today. Several panel members mentioned the Korg Minilogue but Nick Batt have signed a Korg NDA so he could not mention anything about it. Wonder how Korg reacts to what happened in that Sonic Talk show?

Well, they shut it down in the end, didn't they?  ;D

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2016, 01:55:45 PM »
New pic of the backside has surfaced from a french webshop.

I like the humor that went into this design choice.

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 02:11:57 PM »
I think if this is really only $500 and it doesn't sound totally rubbish then they will sell loads of them.

Looks like it may have a couple of 3.5mm CV ports on the back as well, three 3/4 so maybe stereo out with an audio in as well, can't believe it will have a pedal input!

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2016, 02:13:24 PM »
I think if this is really only $500 and it doesn't sound totally rubbish then they will sell loads of them.

Looks like it may have a couple of 3.5mm CV ports on the back as well, three 3/4 so maybe stereo out with an audio in as well, can't believe it will have a pedal input!

Could be though. And yes, the price is going to be $499.

chysn

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2016, 05:20:18 PM »
I would say: calm it down.

Yeah, sorry. I guess we're straight going HAM all up in here.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2016, 05:21:11 PM »
I think this forum is calm because DSI is hardly mingling with the forum members... which is both good and bad in a way... When DSI mingle, and make promises that they do not keep, then it's a playground for feeling abandoned, I know this, because I've witnessed this several times, from the dreaded Evolver bugs to the still missing 1.3.1 update for Prophet 12, or even the Tempest DIN bugs.

The reason I've calmed down personaly is simply due to the fact, that I don't trust DSI on updates anymore... not even when they say they will update something... I've tried trusting them... to no avail... and frankly I don't want to think about it anymore... also, I just don't want to keep on getting yelled at, for standing up for what I find is right to say about DSI, because no one else seems to give a shit about it, and rather want to participate in the "DSI is GOD!" tantrum... sorry, but that's the way I feel about it.

And no... it has nothing to do about the moderators in here... I would say whatever I think is justified... even if it meant I was banned from here... I know that my knowledge is valued as well, so it's simply up to the admins to decide if they want the whole package or nothing.

And please understand, that this reply is NOT meant to start any arguments about DSI... it's just a reply to say what I find the reason for the calmness is, and give my personal view on it.... but I may start complaining soon, if DSI do not give us that OS 1.3.1 for Prophet 12 they promised not long ago... I know they still need to do inside testing, but hey... we are willing to test for them if they just release the god darn beta like they used to!  ;)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2016, 05:41:11 PM »
That calmness might be the behind-the-scenes frenzy of a manufacturer getting things ready for NAMM. (I do sympathize, after many years of doing CES in Vegas....)
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2016, 06:12:58 PM »
I've gotten the impression over the years that DSI has the best of intentions, but that they're a relaxed and laid back sort of company.  No, this is not the "small company excuse."  I think this reflects on Dave's character; the company is his personification.  When they promise they'll do something, generally they do it.  You just have to sometimes practice heroic patience.  It seems they bite off more than they can chew, so that fulfilling both their intentions and our requests is more than they can handle at first.  But generally, they sooner or later do what they said they'd do.  The Evolver is the exception, of course, but I presume this is because of its age.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:32:33 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2016, 11:24:39 PM »
It's out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuZpEtZF-hg

Really clever feature list: taking a bit of everything that's currently out there in and around this price class. This is really going to kill the Boutique and Reface sales.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:50:41 PM by Paul Dither »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2016, 02:46:11 AM »
If the Minilogue really keep that pricepoint, there is no need to think... I'll be getting one... It has preset storage, and that's what I need... it's polyphonic, has built in FX, and simply sound amazing to my ears... really like that live oscilloscope.

With this pricepoint, DSI finally got some competition, and will have to lower prices at some point... the Minilogue may not have as deep an engine, but that only adds to it's ease of use.

And if KORG has continued their thorough MIDI implementation on this, as on other products like Radias etc. then we FINALY have another company that I can add to my list of usable gear producers...

Only thing I'm irritated about is the fact that it has slim-keys, and no rack-version...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 02:47:43 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2016, 04:54:23 AM »
Thanks everybody for all your posts. Didn't know that mopho x4 was discounting to about a grand in US, here in Japan it's much more expensive. Still, KORG minilogue is VERY affordable!! Right in the zone where DSI mopho and Tetr4 retreated. And we finally got another manufacturer who creates a genuine analog polysynth other than DSI, a competitor may be. No modulation matrix makes minilogue not a deep instrument but clever implementation of nifty features gives it a leg up, and very ease of use. Surely the minilogue will be an interesting model to play and edit, especially for newbies.
prophet 12, PRO2, mono evolver KB, Hikari Duo, Cobalt5S, Hydrasynth Explorer, microFreak, 0-Coast, 0-CTRL, ensoniq VFX-SD, Kurzweil PC361, Roland V-Synth, SH-4d, JD-XA, TB-3, A-50, KORG 800DV, wavestate, modwave, kaossilator 2, volca nubass/modular, SQ-1, iOS/Mac

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2016, 06:15:04 AM »
This is just the sort of capability and sound I'm looking for in a monophonic synthesizer, but the keyboard kills it for me.  If only it had three-and-a-half to four octaves of full-sized keys. 

The Minilogue will certainly effect ARP Odyssey sales, which haven't been great anyway.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 06:48:57 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2016, 06:50:04 AM »
This is just the sort of capability and sound I'm looking for in a monophonic synthesizer, but the keyboard kills it for me.  If only it had four octaves of full-sized keys.  The Minilogue will certainly effect ARP Odyssey sales, which haven't been great anyway.

So... perhaps we've covered this before in another universe, but why do you care about key size if you've already got 5-octave keyboards to play?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his