KORG minilogue

KORG minilogue
« on: January 10, 2016, 09:10:53 PM »
Hi,

Perhaps you all know from the article on Matrixsynth, KORG is rumored to announce an analog four voice polysynth named "minilogue". It got 2VCO per voice, cross modulation capability, unison mode, some program memory slots, three octaves slim mini keys same as their MS-20mini, and surprisingly a tiny oscilloscope where you can see the waveforms in action.

May be it's targeted to the price range of about a grand from where the DSI recently retreated from?? The good point about the DSI models are the modulation matrix which you probably won't find on KORG's analog synths, but there is no more models around that is more affordable than mopho x4 anymore, so may be KORG minilogue will try to invade this zone??

We'll soon see in the forthcoming Winter NAMM though.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 01:38:08 PM by NemoSynth »
prophet 12, PRO2, mono evolver KB, Hikari Duo, Cobalt5S, Hydrasynth Explorer, microFreak, 0-Coast, 0-CTRL, ensoniq VFX-SD, Kurzweil PC361, Roland V-Synth, SH-4d, JD-XA, TB-3, A-50, KORG 800DV, wavestate, modwave, kaossilator 2, volca nubass/modular, SQ-1, iOS/Mac

chysn

Re: KORG minilogue
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 07:19:48 AM »
I'm looking forward to hearing this. Although there's no chance of my buying this, I'm glad to see Korg making new analog synths again that aren't copies. I've always admired their innovative edge, and feared that they were losing it.

May be it's targeted to the price range of about a grand from where the DSI recently retreated from??

I can't imagine that it's going to be anywhere near $1000, where it would be rightfully eaten alive by the X4. Probably six hundred bucks U.S.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 07:30:28 AM »
We already talked a bit about it in the general NAMM thread over here: http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,206.0.html

From a reliable source (a retailer in the US) I've heard that it's supposed to be less than $500, so I would assume $499. Korg are also planning to lower the prices of the Odyssey to $799 because they are not selling as well as they thought.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 09:13:38 PM »

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 12:05:08 PM »
Unbelievable.
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

dslsynth

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 12:22:48 PM »
Just compare Korgs way of operation to how DSI works. DSI are only doing design and let others handle the manufacturing. Korg got all the production facilities they need and adding a new instrument is primarily a question of ensuring the new components are available when the manufacturing starts. The rest is already up and running. Plus they manufacture in a much cheaper place than DSI does. All sums up to a much cheaper machine.

Will be interesting to hear how it works out in practice including how it sounds. Wonder what filter it have and what type of oscillators it got (VCO, DCO, Digital).
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 12:26:20 PM »
Will be interesting to hear how it works out in practice including how it sounds. Wonder what filter it have and what type of oscillators it got (VCO, DCO, Digital).

VCOs if the front panel doesn't lie.

chysn

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 03:51:30 PM »
Just compare Korgs way of operation to how DSI works. DSI are only doing design and let others handle the manufacturing. Korg got all the production facilities they need and adding a new instrument is primarily a question of ensuring the new components are available when the manufacturing starts. The rest is already up and running. Plus they manufacture in a much cheaper place than DSI does. All sums up to a much cheaper machine.

And but also don't forget that Korg builds their stuff like crap. I'm a big Korg fan, always have been, but they build their stuff like crap. Korg flexes and creaks along its plasticy joints as its silkscreens wear away and its finishes grow cloudy from--who knows--too much oxygen in the air. They didn't used to be this way; the M1 was built like a brick #*!&house, the Wavestation like a gorgeously-engineered tank. But then the Prophecy wasn't made to last, and they just went downhill. It sucks because the insides are usually brilliant.

I'll take something that's built like a musical instrument, thank you very much, not like a cell phone.

(I know I'm making assumptions here, as nobody's ever seen this thing. But it's a pretty safe assumption.)
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 03:55:42 PM »
And but also don't forget that Korg builds their stuff like crap. I'm a big Korg fan, always have been, but they build their stuff like crap. Korg flexes and creaks along its plasticy joints as its silkscreens wear away and its finishes grow cloudy from--who knows--too much oxygen in the air. They didn't used to be this way; the M1 was built like a brick #*!&house, the Wavestation like a gorgeously-engineered tank. But then the Prophecy wasn't made to last, and they just went downhill. It sucks because the insides are usually brilliant.

+1

dslsynth

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 04:15:03 PM »
[...] and its finishes grow cloudy from--who knows--too much oxygen in the air.

Not to worry! DSI instruments can be made to behave in the same way. One just gotta use the right type of cleaning.

Another thing is that it would probably be cheaper for DSI to use cases in metal than with plastic given how expensive it is to set up new molds for plastic products. Here Korg have an edge (and quite a bit of experience).
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 04:33:28 PM »
Absolutely.  There's no comparing the quality of Korg and DSI instruments.  I'm more than willing to pay the extra cost for a Dave Smith Instrument.  They are good, but just as important, they look good.  I find some of the Korg gear to be on the cheap side, like appliances.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:00:55 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

eXode

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 06:14:17 AM »
Wow guys, If I didn't know better I'd say that you're acting pretty snob-like. You know you could also view it from an angle that KORG is doing something beautiful in bringing an affordable, hands-on polyphonic synthesizer to a large group of people that might not have had the resources otherwise. Not too far from what Dave Smith did with the MoPho and Tetra.

And the kids that buy the Minilogue today might very well become the adults that buy a premium instrument (i.e. like the Sequential Prophet-6) tomorrow.

Perhaps we can just agree that this instrument wasn't made for you (unless you want it to be) instead?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:16:17 AM by eXode »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 08:32:17 AM »
There's nothing snobbish in the opinion that something is cheap.  I've owned a number of cheap synthesizers before, and I'm glad I was able to afford them.  Am I a snob for thinking my own instruments were of a low quality?  But some of us are hoping for better things from Korg.  They certainly have the brains; if only they would apply them to a really fine new synthesizer of professional quality, rather than the predictable mass market mini or slim keys routine.  The synth market seems flooded with these small inexpensive instruments already. 

It makes me appreciate DSI all the more and the personal sacrifice required to buy and play a Dave Smith Instrument.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:44:11 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

eXode

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 08:52:54 AM »
It wasn't directed at you Sacred Synthesis in particular. Your comment in context with the other comments posted before you (together) came across as snobbish.

Well, the Minilogue is said to be made of aluminum (panel) and wood (back) anyway.

New pic of the backside has surfaced from a french webshop.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:58:55 AM by eXode »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 09:00:46 AM »
It's certainly of an original design, and it does look rather sharp from the back.  Maybe it will sound decent, too.

Exode, here's my disclaimer: anything with less than full-sized keys completely turns me off.  I understand the usefulness of these little inexpensive instruments, but count me out.  That's admittedly my bias, and I'm sorry if it sounds snobbish.  It's more like ideals that are frequently frustrated.  But I'd like to see Korg take its decades of experience and produce something full-sized, powerful, and brilliant.  Even another ARP re-issue would be great.

I'm watching three companies closely - Korg, Moog, and DSI (I've given up on Roland).  I'm hoping one of these will finally produce the sort of analog mono synth that I've been searching for these past six years.  So far, it doesn't look like it's going to come from Korg.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 12:48:47 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 09:13:56 AM »
Wow guys, If I didn't know better I'd say that you're acting pretty snob-like. You know you could also view it from an angle that KORG is doing something beautiful in bringing an affordable, hands-on polyphonic synthesizer to a large group of people that might not have had the resources otherwise. Not too far from what Dave Smith did with the MoPho and Tetra.

And the kids that buy the Minilogue today might very well become the adults that buy a premium instrument (i.e. like the Sequential Prophet-6) tomorrow.

Perhaps we can just agree that this instrument wasn't made for you (unless you want it to be) instead?

Dunno whether I was addressed too. I agreed with chysn on the built quality based on the Kronos, which I thought to be more robust - especially in that price class.

As for the Minilogue, I haven't seen that particular pic yet and this certainly looks sturdy. In general, I'm quite happy that Korg offers this affordable gear, from the Volcas to the reissues and now this. I myself used to own a Monotron, a Monotribe, a MS-20 mini, and still own a Volca Beats. They're all fun and sound pleasant. If I was about to start now on a very tight and typical teenager's budget, I'd definitely get the Volca package and then some. Very good entry gear that can be used way past the entry stage and also makes a flexible live set-up.

Basically, the only reason I'm not too keen on the Minilogue is the minikeys, which I don't fancy on a polysynth. I'm still interested to hear how it sounds, though, and you won't see me using the "toy" word in a derogatory way. In the end, a Prophet-6 is just a toy too.

eXode

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 10:14:29 AM »
Exode, here's my disclaimer: anything with less than full-sized keys completely turns me off.  I understand the usefulness of these little inexpensive instruments, but count me out.  That's admittedly my bias, and I'm sorry if it sounds snobbish.  It's more like high ideals that are easily frustrated.  But I'd like to see Korg take its decades of experience and produce something full-sized, powerful, and brilliant.  Even another ARP re-issue would be great.

Dunno whether I was addressed too. I agreed with chysn on the built quality based on the Kronos, which I thought to be more robust - especially in that price class.

As for the Minilogue, I haven't seen that particular pic yet and this certainly looks sturdy. In general, I'm quite happy that Korg offers this affordable gear, from the Volcas to the reissues and now this. I myself used to own a Monotron, a Monotribe, a MS-20 mini, and still own a Volca Beats. They're all fun and sound pleasant. If I was about to start now on a very tight and typical teenager's budget, I'd definitely get the Volca package and then some. Very good entry gear that can be used way past the entry stage and also makes a flexible live set-up.

Basically, the only reason I'm not too keen on the Minilogue is the minikeys, which I don't fancy on a polysynth. I'm still interested to hear how it sounds, though, and you won't see me using the "toy" word in a derogatory way. In the end, a Prophet-6 is just a toy too.

I understand and respect your opinions on the matter. I know, for instance, that slim keys are a hot topic and not to everyone's taste (some people have big fingers, so there's the physical aspect as well).

I guess the reason I used the word snob was because I was surprised at how some of these comments were worded, especially since some of these comments, to me, seemed to be of lower quality than what I'd normally I expect from users on this forum.

Of course if anyone have a negative experience with a product, such an experience should be shared in a constructive and thoughtful way, in my humble opinion anyway. :)

chysn

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 10:28:36 AM »
I dunno. I think "snobbish" conveys condescending judgment about people, not about stuff. If I say that Korg stuff hasn't been well-made since 1995, and present a case for why I think that, I'm on pretty solid ground. If I were to say that "people who stoop to buying such stuff aren't real musicians," that would be snobbish. It would also be demonstrably untrue.

I think the Volca Beats is the best drum machine ever, and dare you to say I'm wrong. But I treat mine gingerly.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 11:07:51 AM »
I don't think that Korgs stuff is that badly built.

My Kronos 88 is nearly 4 years old, everything still feels ok, buttons, sliders joystick etc.

I got the Odyssey last year, that seems pretty good quality for the money. The MS20 re-issue is probably not quite the quality I would want but I guess the kit version is of higher quality.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 11:12:13 AM »
Not to dwell on this too much, lest it become a soap opera.  But if there's one unexpected lesson I've learned from these synthesizer forums, it's that many people take instruments, not only seriously, but quite personally as well.  When I see an instrument presented for discussion, I instinctively go at it without another concern; it's an object, so let's pull it a part.  I'm commenting on an object, so I feel at liberty to criticize it without mercy.  Meanwhile, someone else on the forum who likes the instrument is offended by my - or some one else's - posted critical comments.  It tends to come to me as a surprise, because I forget how personally people get with instruments.  Honestly, it's a lesson that's hard to remember, and it tends to make one, not merely conscious of other peoples' feelings, but overly reserved in expressing views on an instrument.

A prime example of the complexity of the problem was the old DSI/Prophet Forum.  It was a forum for learning lessons, for certain, but our discussions were also more colorful and interesting.  By contrast, I find this new forum to be polite and reserved - all of us having cultivated proper forum behavior - but it's also quite a bit more boring.  Maybe you guys would disagree, but some times an excessive politeness is stifling.  I'm accustomed to quite a bit more frankness in my relations with others, with few apologies necessary.  Whereas, the whole internet universe is so socially artificial as to make it awkward and frustrating.  Hence, those little emoticons, which are so often used to try to keep yourself out of trouble for a comment you're about to post.   

It is difficult to balance substantive debate and discussion with sensitivity towards other peoples' feelings.  Some times I wonder if it's even worth the effort, since the end result is often polite but superficial conversation - light chatter. 

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 12:25:09 PM by Sacred Synthesis »