It's here!

It's here!
« on: November 28, 2017, 07:53:42 AM »
My REV2 arrived early today. Yeah!  8)

Unfortunately I'm trapped at work right now and won't be able to open it up and dig in until I get home.  I'm desperate to check for "funky" encoders and I know there had been some issues with jumpy / wobbly units.  I usually have bad luck evolving such things so I've been very nervous about this.  Is this still a current issue or did they resolve it somehow?

BTW,  I traded in my Sub 37 for this as that synth just wasn't doing it for me.  It was a wonderful looking unit with such a nice control layout, but I just didn't dig the sound. Probably just me as I'm not create at leads, or bass yet, and I'm really more of a strings / pads guy. The REV2 seemed much more me!

I'll be adding it to a Roland FA-08 and a OB-6.  I hope there won't be too much DSI overlap with that OB-6?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:06:22 AM by Wmacky »

Re: It's here!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 10:13:53 AM »
Well, my first action was NOT searching for problems. They will occur when it's time anyway. I suggest to enjoy the sounds. Have fun!
DSI Prophet Rev2

dslsynth

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 10:48:42 AM »
Agree with skrohmer! Not to worry about any potential hardware problems with your synth. They will be resolved pretty fast by DSI as long as you report them to their support line. Just enjoy your new machine and its lovely sounds.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 11:50:57 AM »
My REV2 arrived early today. Yeah!  8)

BTW,  I traded in my Sub 37 for this as that synth just wasn't doing it for me.  It was a wonderful looking unit with such a nice control layout, but I just didn't dig the sound. Probably just me as I'm not create at leads, or bass yet, and I'm really more of a strings / pads guy. The REV2 seemed much more me!

You're gonna love it - it's great for lush string pads. :)

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 01:06:34 PM »
And when you get home, be sure and don’t forget to let the newness wear off before tearing it out of the box :) The anticipation is the best part. Enjoy your new REV2. Not any overlap with the OB-6, they are quite different machines.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 01:54:43 PM »
30 Minutes and I'm off work. I'm getting jazzed! During lunch I couldn't resist, and cracked open the box.  What a lovely sight it was! Those knobs look nicer than on the OB-6.

dslsynth

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 02:15:14 PM »
Safe driving! Feel free to play some jazz for the rest of us. ;-)
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 05:58:09 AM »
All is well.  I didn't get a chance to check all the controls for jumpiness, but all the pots / encoders feel nice and firm with nothing noticeably loose. That's good news! I love the look of the synth and the OLED. It really fits in with the style. I don't thinks it's too small, but a couple extra small dedicated screens would have been nice though. I do like how the screen shuts down after a bit and practically disappears, giving the synth a classic look. Loved the sounds.  Looks like it may be able to fill some holes left by the OB-6 I have.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:16:41 AM by Wmacky »

dsetto

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 09:32:40 AM »
Enjoy. I'm eager to hear your comparisons between it & the OB6. ... I'd imagine they'd complement each other nicely.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 05:11:46 AM »
Yes, there doesn't seem to be a lot of overlap. The big difference seems to be the filter. The REV2 filter seems capable of helping to generate lots of varied sounds, but it isn't as much fun to sweep it as on the OB-6. The OB-6 filter just has this incredible funky / wonky sound that great through the whole sweep, where as the REV filter can sound a little odd at certain positions with some whistling happening.

Unfortunately it appears that they will both be must haves.  So if your trying to decide, just decide which one you want 1st!