Has Anyone Used a Pro-2 as a P-12 Module Controller?

Has Anyone Used a Pro-2 as a P-12 Module Controller?
« on: November 24, 2016, 10:11:39 PM »
I have the option of buying a P-12 module at a smokin' price. I have a great 88 key controller, but it doesn't have the ribbons. I'm pretty sure that the times I would use the ribbons I would not need the longer keyboard. So as long as they generally play well together, I think i would get the module over the keyboard.  Anybody have experience using a Pro-2 as a P-12 controller? Please let me know. I'll have to move fast on this too.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

Re: Has Anyone Used a Pro-2 as a P-12 Module Controller?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 08:09:25 AM »
The MIDI CCs don't match up between the two, unfortunately, so it's not that easy to knob-control the Prophet-12 from the Pro-2, unless you remap CCs from source to destination within your DAW.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 10:16:16 AM »
Thanks. I did end up buying the module.  I'll probably use the software sound editor for programmimg.

From what you are saying, it sounds like I can map what knobs I want to use through my DAW, which is sufficient. 
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 05:40:12 PM »
I use them together, but just the KB, wheels and sliders. The module is so easy to program I really don't think you need anything else.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 08:48:48 PM »
Thanks Sterling Mann.  That's how I plan to use them too.  I got the Pro-2 a few months ago and have barely scratched the surface of it- but I loved the way the ribbons could be used.  It is the first synth I've used with the ribbons. 

The P-12 keyboard has the ribbons too, and I want to utilize that feature.  I assumed that the P-2 and P-12 could talk to each other at least that far, but didn't know for sure.  You confirmed that they can be used together.

For any patches which will need a long keyboard, I have an old Yamaha S90 which I also use as a controller. 

How do you like your P-2/P-12's?  I've been a fan of the DSI synths going back many years.  With the purchase of the P-12 module, I will be the proud owner of a P-08, Pro-2 and P-12.  I think I'm going to have a pretty steep learning curve with the latter two, but I'm going to enjoy the ride.   :)

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 10:13:24 PM »
I think I could spend the rest of my days with just those two synths. So many possibilities. I had the Pro 2 first as well and personally felt more instant gratification with that one (and the P08)