Oscillator mix phasy and volume drop

Oscillator mix phasy and volume drop
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »
Hey guys, is it just me or does the Oscillator mix has phase problems (sounds a bit weird) and drops in volume when at 50/50?
I almost always go for 1 oscillator sound because of this. Is there any way the crossfade could be fixed in a FW update at least for the volume drop?

Re: Oscillator mix phasy and volume drop
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 02:23:14 PM »
Jup, same over here!

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 11:44:07 PM »
I think the volume drop is a design choice...Both oscillators at full volume would probably overload and distort. I haven't noticed any phase issues except for the natural sound of mixing 2 analogue oscillators that have different pitch/fine tuning/wave shapes happening.

On a related note: I would like the outputs to match a little better when no panning is going on. One side is always just a little bit louder it seems. I hate having to constantly adjust my input levels. The Rev2 is the only synth in my studio that I have to check levels on when it comes to getting the left/right balance proper. When modulating the panning it is perfectly fine, you want differences in volume. But when no panning modulation is going on it should lock into equal levels from both left & right outputs.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 07:35:59 AM »
I think the volume drop is a design choice...Both oscillators at full volume would probably overload and distort. I haven't noticed any phase issues except for the natural sound of mixing 2 analogue oscillators that have different pitch/fine tuning/wave shapes happening.

On a related note: I would like the outputs to match a little better when no panning is going on. One side is always just a little bit louder it seems. I hate having to constantly adjust my input levels. The Rev2 is the only synth in my studio that I have to check levels on when it comes to getting the left/right balance proper. When modulating the panning it is perfectly fine, you want differences in volume. But when no panning modulation is going on it should lock into equal levels from both left & right outputs.

When I say Phasy I mean that some frequecies seem to be cancelled by the layering. If you compare it to the Prophet 6 you clearly hear the difference: https://youtu.be/kGkM0GLMVh0?t=7m It sounds bigger and warmer.
I know these are VCOs but it shouldn't affect the oscillator mix unless the DCO are syncing the 2 oscillator witch shouldn't be the case unless you enable the sync button.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 10:48:30 AM »
I have experienced this on the Prophet '08. If the oscillator frequencies are very close together, the precision of the DCOs can cause the two oscillators to beat slowly against each other. This will at times lower the volume to zero, then swell up to a max, then back to zero again.

You can make the frequencies farther apart, or you can add some modulation to one of the frequencies.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 11:53:24 AM »
Try turning OSC 1 and 2 "Note Reset" off. Granted this probably isn't the issue because I believe the Prophet 6 OSC never reset, they just play freely, but still, doing this on the REV2 will give the two OSC together a slightly bolder sound.

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 03:41:56 AM »
DSI confirmed that just the way the Curtis Filter is designed there is going to be a volume dip when you are adjusting the Oscillator Mix. A bit annoying but I guess it's just something you get used to and have to fiddle with.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 06:55:25 PM »
DSI confirmed that just the way the Curtis Filter is designed there is going to be a volume dip when you are adjusting the Oscillator Mix. A bit annoying but I guess it's just something you get used to and have to fiddle with.

I was annoyed by it at first but during any actual playing I learned to really like having the mix on a single knob so I could fade between the osc.

Sometimes I'll have lfos and stuff on osc 2 so fading between themis like fading between different sounds

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 09:04:50 AM »

I was annoyed by it at first but during any actual playing I learned to really like having the mix on a single knob so I could fade between the osc.

Sometimes I'll have lfos and stuff on osc 2 so fading between themis like fading between different sounds

I actually ended up doing this last night. Here is an example of some exploratory patching, not really a song or anything.

I have a square LFO on the pitch of OSC 1 so using the single knob for osc mix faded between the the bouncing notes towards the beginning and the steady note that comes in around 30 seconds. The volume drop isn't hugely noticeable in the moment and its a feature I've grown to love about my rev2 for in the moment live patching kind of stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/pkmood/rev2-patchin

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 10:55:01 PM »

I actually ended up doing this last night. Here is an example of some exploratory patching, not really a song or anything.

I have a square LFO on the pitch of OSC 1 so using the single knob for osc mix faded between the the bouncing notes towards the beginning and the steady note that comes in around 30 seconds. The volume drop isn't hugely noticeable in the moment and its a feature I've grown to love about my rev2 for in the moment live patching kind of stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/pkmood/rev2-patchin

Sounds great! Using flaws in a creative way is a great idea! The Chorus on the Juno 6 was designed to compensate for the fact that it only had 1 oscillator and it became famous for it :P Great things can come out of limitations.