NAMM 2018

Sleep of Reason

Re: Predictions for NAMM?
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2018, 09:41:24 PM »
Plenty of videos of it have already hit Youtube.

Spoiler: It sounds like a synth.

Nice reverb though.
Edit: Pre-orders are up as well. As expected, it's priced to match the you know what.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 11:11:30 PM by Sleep of Reason »

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2018, 01:08:12 AM »
I would find a single digital oscillator rather stiff.  If there's one thing that warms up nicely an icy cold digital wave shape, it's a second icy cold digital wave shape to beat alongside it.  When designing a digital pad on the PEK, I always feel the need to enrich its tone with a generous amount of oscillator beating, including from two analog triangles.  But one digital oscillator?  Brrr!

It's a bitimbral synth, so maybe layering two patches that only feature digital oscillators would be the simple solution. It is also said to contain the ensemble effect of the PolySix, so that could help as well.

Also I guess as the digital oscillator seems to be able to run different code then I guess you could stick a dual oscillator in the slot, depending on dsp grunt.

chysn

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2018, 02:55:00 AM »
Also I guess as the digital oscillator seems to be able to run different code then I guess you could stick a dual oscillator in the slot, depending on dsp grunt.

That seems to be the killer app on this thing. Do you want to write your own oscillators (or load up other peoples)? Then you might like it. Otherwise, its limitations seem crippling.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2018, 03:19:10 AM »
Korg are also doing ARP versions of their SQ-1 sequencer

chysn

« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2018, 03:21:57 AM »

Love it!! (Although it seems to be something that's just bundled with the Odyssey FSQ and not necessarily available on its own)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:25:13 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2018, 03:29:30 AM »

Love it!! (Although it seems to be something that's just bundled with the Odyssey FSQ and not necessarily available on its own)

Yeah I think you can only get it if it comes with an ARP Odyssey full size...my issue...still no Midi In....what the heck?

Shaw

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2018, 04:54:04 PM »
Not so much a prediction, but a wish... a new Memorymoog.  Pretty please.  With 2 LFOs this time.  I’ll buy one, I promise.

OK, so file that under “it ain’t happening, but man I’d love to see it.”
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2018, 08:24:00 PM »
Not so much a prediction, but a wish... a new Memorymoog.  Pretty please.  With 2 LFOs this time.  I’ll buy one, I promise.

All I want from Moog is a four voice Sub 37 on a four octave keyboard. Multitimbral in a sense that each of the voices can be split, layered or chained (for polyphony) in any manner the user wishes. Even at four voices the versatility of that Moog alone would sell incredibly well.

Shaw

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2018, 05:50:06 AM »

All I want from Moog is a four voice Sub 37 on a four octave keyboard. Multitimbral in a sense that each of the voices can be split, layered or chained (for polyphony) in any manner the user wishes. Even at four voices the versatility of that Moog alone would sell incredibly well.
I’ve never really understood the appeal of a four voice poly... 6 at minimum seems essential to me.
And I’d prefer the Minimoog 3 VCO architecture over the 2 VCO Sub37. But I think we agree it would sell. Like hot cakes.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2018, 08:51:10 AM »

I’ve never really understood the appeal of a four voice poly... 6 at minimum seems essential to me.
And I’d prefer the Minimoog 3 VCO architecture over the 2 VCO Sub37. But I think we agree it would sell. Like hot cakes.

Well I think if Moog came out with their own version of the Oberheim Four Voice, even despite its low voice count it would offer something most Poly synths don’t which is multitimbrality. Essentially four individual dual VCO (plus sub) Monos under one hood that can operate individually and together. I just don’t know if Moog offered their own version of the OB6 or P6 if it really offer anything different in the Poly Market. Not saying it has to but it may start to get redundant after a while. 

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2018, 03:54:12 PM »
Well the FM synth everyone* has been asking for might be here: https://www.elektron.se/products/digitone/

*okay not everyone but a good number of people

« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2018, 04:00:18 PM »
Well the FM synth everyone* has been asking for might be here: https://www.elektron.se/products/digitone/

*okay not everyone but a good number of people

Looks definitely interesting and seems to sound great. Kind of like a pro version of the Volca FM plus some bells and whistles and minus 2 operators.

Shaw

« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2018, 04:14:00 PM »
Other than the Quantum, Polylogue (for some), and Digitone (for others)... was NAMM a yawner?  Did I miss something? 

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2018, 04:22:18 PM »
Other than the Quantum, Polylogue (for some), and Digitone (for others)... was NAMM a yawner?  Did I miss something?

Didn't it only just open like yesterday?

Shaw

« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2018, 04:33:42 PM »

Today, but aren’t the new products announced day 1 so folks can spend the other 3 days pawing and drooling???  That would be the best marketing scheme... most bang for your buck.

« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »

Today, but aren’t the new products announced day 1 so folks can spend the other 3 days pawing and drooling???  That would be the best marketing scheme... most bang for your buck.

Yeah, all the main stuff should be announced by now. Let's not forget that a lot has already been announced pre-NAMM this time.

But I agree. Quite a yawner, or rather unnecessary as an announcement event. Looks like DSI, Roger Linn, Moog, Teenage Engineering et al. did the right thing.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:53:48 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2018, 05:28:20 PM »
NAMM is quite a let down from the glory days of the Prophet 12 and Sub 37.

But no, I take that back.  There's this masterpiece.  I'm thinking of getting two and running them is stereo:

http://www.synthanatomy.com/2018/01/namm2018-blipblox-is-a-new-synthesizer-designed-for-kids.html
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 05:31:09 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2018, 05:37:21 PM »
NAMM is quite a let down from the glory days of the Prophet 12 and Sub 37.

But no, I take that back.  There's this masterpiece.  I'm thinking of getting two and running them is stereo:

http://www.synthanatomy.com/2018/01/namm2018-blipblox-is-a-new-synthesizer-designed-for-kids.html

I like it! 3rd best announcement after the Digitone and Quantum. I'd take four, though, cause quadrophony is where it's at.

LoboLives

« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2018, 05:38:38 PM »
What a disappointing show. Roland and Yamaha did absolutely nothing of significance.

« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2018, 05:39:40 PM »
What a disappointing show. Roland and Yamaha did absolutely nothing of significance.

You can't say so. Yamaha had at least a countdown.