NAMM 2018

Re: Predictions for NAMM?
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 04:10:45 AM »
It would be sort of sad if Moog goes virtual analog. Not saying virtual analog is bad but with other companies charging far less far their analog poly synths it be pretty sad to see Moog finally do another Poly after all this time...except it’s digital. Doesn’t matter what the features are i just think it might backfire. Korg, DSI, my god even Behringer are doing analog poly synths and if Moog’s response to the requests from fans for their own poly synth is an Animoog inside the body of a Voyager, a lot of faces are going to be buried in palms.

Absolutely nothing in the presentation by Amos Gaynes and Geert Bevin indicates that Moog are going VA. The talk is only about interface design and prototyping and what tools are or have been used throughout the process. It's not about voice design.

So technically the next synth can still contain an analog signal path. The operating system of Modal Electronic's 002 and 008 also runs on Linux and these are no VA synths. The only thing that is mentioned about the actual synth's design is that its interface will feature knobs and buttons, and a centered LCD display on which content will be shown that is produced by JUCE running on Linux. That's it. No hint whatsoever about the voice architecture or the voice number.

What could be inferred about the front panel design is that it might be related to controllers like Ableton's Push 2 or Native Instruments' Maschine: You have a big display with encoders above and/or below that change function according to what's being shown on the display.

It's also worth raising the point of DSI's job posting for a software engineer with QNX expertise–the underlying infrastructure need not suggest anything regarding the sound-generation capabilities / methodology....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 07:00:00 AM »
It would be sort of sad if Moog goes virtual analog. Not saying virtual analog is bad but with other companies charging far less far their analog poly synths it be pretty sad to see Moog finally do another Poly after all this time...except it’s digital. Doesn’t matter what the features are i just think it might backfire. Korg, DSI, my god even Behringer are doing analog poly synths and if Moog’s response to the requests from fans for their own poly synth is an Animoog inside the body of a Voyager, a lot of faces are going to be buried in palms.

Absolutely nothing in the presentation by Amos Gaynes and Geert Bevin indicates that Moog are going VA. The talk is only about interface design and prototyping and what tools are or have been used throughout the process. It's not about voice design.

So technically the next synth can still contain an analog signal path. The operating system of Modal Electronic's 002 and 008 also runs on Linux and these are no VA synths. The only thing that is mentioned about the actual synth's design is that its interface will feature knobs and buttons, and a centered LCD display on which content will be shown that is produced by JUCE running on Linux. That's it. No hint whatsoever about the voice architecture or the voice number.

What could be inferred about the front panel design is that it might be related to controllers like Ableton's Push 2 or Native Instruments' Maschine: You have a big display with encoders above and/or below that change function according to what's being shown on the display.

Oh no I know they didn't directly say it but I just had a horrible feeling.

Just have to see how it goes. Wonder if it'll be released for Namm or Moogfest.

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 01:04:49 PM »
Oh no I know they didn't directly say it but I just had a horrible feeling.

Just have to see how it goes. Wonder if it'll be released for Namm or Moogfest.

Judging by the success of Animoog and the Model 15 app outside the usual niche, I'm not too worried - but it would be nice to see some analogue goodness with excellent control.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 01:31:32 PM »
I get the impression that an enhanced (by an analog filter for example) hardware version of the Animoog would be quite appealing to many. Combined with full MPE support, polyphony, and a couple of unpredictable ingredients, this could indeed result in a different hardware synth direction - at least for Moog's standards.

LoboLives

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 10:33:03 PM »
I'd like to see an FMX based Yamaha synth. No AMW or anything. Just take the concept and layout of the reface. Add more operators and five octaves and full size. I think it would sell very well.

dslsynth

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 06:13:09 AM »
JoMoX have discontinued their M.Brane 11. So one could very well expect an updated version based on their Mod.Brane 11 module and ALPHA BASE drum machine sometimes in 2018. SuperBooth could be a good place for that to happen. Or maybe during the summer/autumn via website announcement.

Also, the following note have just been posted on the JoMoX site. Gentrified synthesizer company sounds just a little bit sad. Their old area and office looked really nice.

************************************************************************************

Dear Jomox lovers,

after 18 years, the wave of Berlin-Kreuzberg gentrification has caught us too...

from 16/12/2017 to 31/01/2018 we can only offer limited support as we have to move to new facilities with the whole company.

From February 1st 2018 on, our new location will be:

JoMoX El. Musikinstr. GmbH
Green Park Haus 101 Raum 304
Ruhlsdorfer Str. 95
14532 Stahnsdorf

After that, we will care for you with heart and sound again.

Many thanks for your understanding!

************************************************************************************
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

LoboLives

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 08:41:24 AM »
Welp, Namm is getting close and so far we got the Behringer Vocoder, Waldorf Vocoder, and Minibrute 2.

Anyone else have any predictions?

Shaw

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 08:44:58 AM »
Welp, Namm is getting close and so far we got the Behringer Vocoder, Waldorf Vocoder, and Minibrute 2.

so far, I'm predicting a fatter wallet.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 08:57:41 AM »
Arturia seem to have more up their sleeves, as it says the following below their MiniBrute 2 announcement: "Come back tomorrow, we’ve got more exciting news. 'Save the best ‘til last', as the saying goes."

LoboLives

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 09:32:10 AM »
Arturia seem to have more up their sleeves, as it says the following below their MiniBrute 2 announcement: "Come back tomorrow, we’ve got more exciting news. 'Save the best ‘til last', as the saying goes."

POLYBRUTE POLYBRUTE POLYBRUTE!!!!!!!!!!!

LoboLives

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 09:32:58 AM »

Between the Oberheim Two Voice Pro and Tom Anderson guitars I don't even want to think about it.

Shaw

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 04:38:03 PM »

Between the Oberheim Two Voice Pro and Tom Anderson guitars I don't even want to think about it.
Tom Anderson doesn’t scare me.  I live in Nashville and have some friends who are top notch luthiers.  I make guitars for myself from time to time.  Here’s my last one.  As for Oberheim? yeah, there goes some money.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:53:10 PM by Shaw »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 05:03:30 PM »

Tom Anderson doesn’t scare me.  I live in Nashville and have some friends who are top notch luthiers.  I make guitars for myself from time to time.  Here’s my last one.  As for Oberheim? yeah, there goes some money.

Ooo what a beauty! Great job.

Shaw

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2018, 05:21:48 PM »

Ooo what a beauty! Great job.
Thank you sir.  Most pround of the wiring...  3 knobs: volume, tone, pickup blend.  So I can have all neck pickup tone, all bridge tone, or anywhere in between.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 12:35:49 AM »

I reckon a new 'Step.  Keystep Pro is my bet but I'd rather see a mashing of the two 'Steps into a multichannel step sequence with drum, 3xmono, 2xpoly + 2 modulation sequencers also.  That in something like one of their Keystations.

LoboLives

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 05:12:24 AM »

I reckon a new 'Step.  Keystep Pro is my bet but I'd rather see a mashing of the two 'Steps into a multichannel step sequence with drum, 3xmono, 2xpoly + 2 modulation sequencers also.  That in something like one of their Keystations.

Ugh I hope not. How boring.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 03:54:12 PM »

To some, yeah.  I find my BSP a great tool beyond a mere 3 channel MIDI step sequencer.  It works as a trigger module for two other machines, runs CV to a semi-modular and is a beastie drum machine.  If it had a dedicated modulation channel doing CC's and CV, that would be a nice addition and entice me to update.

We'll find out tomorrow....

LoboLives

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2018, 08:41:37 PM »

To some, yeah.  I find my BSP a great tool beyond a mere 3 channel MIDI step sequencer.  It works as a trigger module for two other machines, runs CV to a semi-modular and is a beastie drum machine.  If it had a dedicated modulation channel doing CC's and CV, that would be a nice addition and entice me to update.

We'll find out tomorrow....

I firmly stand by my statement that Arturia has surpassed Moog.

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2018, 05:59:26 AM »
From Roger Linn's website (http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/):

Going to NAMM? We're not. Like Moog, Dave Smith Instruments and Tom Oberheim, I (Roger) have decided to skip it this year. It seems odd to me to have a music product dealer convention in the internet era, given there are so few remaining independent music product dealers.

So based on the wording, it seems like it was a conscious decision of all named manufacturers to skip this year's Winter NAMM, which in turn means that their absence from NAMM is not indicative of whether new products will be announced or not.

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2018, 07:33:22 AM »
I firmly stand by my statement that Arturia has surpassed Moog.

I think Moog has something up their sleeve: http://www.matrixsynth.com/2017/11/new-moog-synth-geert-bevin-amos-gaynes.html