NAMM 2018

dslsynth

Re: Predictions for NAMM?
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2018, 05:49:23 PM »
Quite a yawner, or rather unnecessary as an announcement event.

Merry yawnmas, everyone!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2018, 05:54:35 PM »
Quite a yawner, or rather unnecessary as an announcement event.

Merry yawnmas, everyone!

chysn

« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2018, 06:18:08 PM »
NAMM is quite a let down from the glory days of the Prophet 12 and Sub 37.

But no, I take that back.  There's this masterpiece.  I'm thinking of getting two and running them is stereo:

http://www.synthanatomy.com/2018/01/namm2018-blipblox-is-a-new-synthesizer-designed-for-kids.html

I like it! 3rd best announcement after the Digitone and Quantum. I'd take four, though, cause quadrophony is where it's at.

It's like a Make Noise panel on a Fisher Price body! I wish I could wish my kids a little younger.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2018, 07:41:27 PM »

But no, I take that back.  There's this masterpiece.  I'm thinking of getting two and running them is stereo:

http://www.synthanatomy.com/2018/01/namm2018-blipblox-is-a-new-synthesizer-designed-for-kids.html

I like it! 3rd best announcement after the Digitone and Quantum. I'd take four, though, cause quadrophony is where it's at.

Best of all, I hear these are drool-proof.  So you don't even have to careful about it.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2018, 07:47:38 PM »
The guy from Electron kept saying "Diggitone."  Surely it's pronounced "Dijitone"?

Shaw

« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2018, 07:49:32 PM »
The guy from Electron kept saying "Diggitone."  Surely it's pronounced "Dijitone"?
It’s their tone, let them get diggi with it...
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2018, 07:57:49 PM »
Okay, I guess it's a diggital synthesizer.

Shaw

« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2018, 09:03:42 AM »
Oddly enough, the only things from NAMM this year that really interests me are the 2 Waldorf releases:  the Quantum and the STVC. Fortunately neither are available for purchase at the moment so DSI has time to compete. 

The SVTC is kinda a 2 trick pony (string machine and vocoder), but man it sounds really nice. Even though it is (gasp) digital. The Vocoder has 250 filter bands... that alone is pretty impressive.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2018, 10:45:34 AM »
Oddly enough, the only things from NAMM this year that really interests me are the 2 Waldorf releases:  the Quantum and the STVC. Fortunately neither are available for purchase at the moment so DSI has time to compete. 

The SVTC is kinda a 2 trick pony (string machine and vocoder), but man it sounds really nice. Even though it is (gasp) digital. The Vocoder has 250 filter bands... that alone is pretty impressive.

It's pretty expensive for what it is though.

Shaw

« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2018, 11:12:44 AM »

Yeah... true. No doubt.  But it is kind of niche.   Definitely need to hear some more sounds.

LoboLives

« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »

Yeah... true. No doubt.  But it is kind of niche.   Definitely need to hear some more sounds.

Personally I’d wait for the Behringer analog vocoder.

Shaw

« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2018, 12:26:15 PM »

I don't buy Behringer stuff.  Learned a lesson in the 90s that I haven't forgotten yet. 
For the same reason, I don't buy Samsung stuff either.

LoboLives

« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2018, 12:41:16 PM »

I don't buy Behringer stuff.  Learned a lesson in the 90s that I haven't forgotten yet. 
For the same reason, I don't buy Samsung stuff either.

Yeah I’m skeptic to but honestly...no one else is doing analog string machine/vocoder so it might be my only option.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2018, 07:07:42 PM »

Awesome stuff, just like one of those bop-um toys but a real synth!  Reminds me of those Realistic/Casio sampling keyboards but way more interesting.  My first sampler was one of them.  Too bad my flat-mate's ex-wife poured water over it to stop her kids from playing with it.

Re: NAMM 2018
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2018, 04:15:30 AM »
I just changed the thread title for archival reasons.

« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2018, 05:26:31 PM »
So, what are everybody's NAMM winners and/or disappointments?

Shaw

« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2018, 05:43:14 PM »
Winners: Waldorf and Eventide (even though we knew about the Quantum and H9000 before NAMM)
Losers: everyone else?

« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2018, 05:58:48 PM »
Winners: Waldorf and Eventide (even though we knew about the Quantum and H9000 before NAMM)
Losers: everyone else?

That's a lot of losers then.  ;D

« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2018, 06:18:15 PM »
I will only name favorites.

My number one has to be the Elektron Digitone. Very excited to try this out once it's available. Gorgeous sound and lots of playful FM flexibility in conjunction with parameter locks and trig conditions.

The Quantum definitely has to be named in the synth category as well. I don't take the hybrid bread and butter sounds we've heard so far as a benchmark. Theoretically, there's lots to be excited about in this new combination of synth engines. So this will have to be tested as well. Having played a prototype last year, I could tell how much more work they put into it, especially the menu structure—a true coding challenge. I also like their approach to take another 3-4 months to get major bugs sorted out and give the sound designers enough time to familiarize themselves with the engines. Even used as a relatively simple sampler, this should be quite monstrous.

If the vicinity of NAMM also counts, I would also name Moog's DAFM as a good analog alternative for anyone who's bored to death with 808 and 909 sounds. I especially liked the nasty territory it can push into. Definitely lots of character.

As a sucker for delays, I liked to see the Strymon Magneto and the Verbos Multi Delay happening.

The effect box I found truly intriguing in its concept was the Empress Effects Zoia which basically allows you to program your own effects, put together effect chains, and can even be used as a synth including MIDI connections.

chysn

« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »
Although it pre-dated an actual NAMM announcement, the MicroBrute 2S is a fascinating instrument.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his