Bug in parameter value range with VALUE knob

Re: Bug in parameter value range with VALUE knob
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 12:53:55 PM »
I'm not familiar enough with this particular bug to make an accurate statement regarding the difficulty or reasoning behind of fixing it, so I'm going to have to refer you to the individual you're communicating with in support.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

dslsynth

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »
Out of curiosity: what tooling does DSI use to test their MIDI implementation and are checks of the sysex program/editbuffer messages part of these tests?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 05:41:59 PM »
Just to add a personal remark on software/firmware bugs in general:

Back in the days of polysynths equipped with operating systems in hardware ROM chips, manufacturers were forced to make sure that it was as bug free as possible before rolling out a product. But in these days of easily flashable RAM, it seems that there's a tendency to not thoroughly test everything, and rely on the customer base to report malfunctioning parts of the software. In my humble opinion, that's frankly lazy.
But DSI isn't the only company guilty of this, Moog Music, Behringer, Alesis (in their Andromeda/Ion days), and a few others all do it too.

Only the $20K Schmidt EightVoice Polyphonic Synthesizer is guaranteed to have a 100% bug-free firmware. But it took 10 years to develop...  :P
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 12:56:33 AM »
I do not mind that bugs are fixed later... but what I cannot stand is that known bugs are not fixed, and seen as "low visibility"... or "too hard to fix"... the missing 4 bytes in the SysEx of the REV2 is a prime example of such a bug... also the edit buffer initialization bugs is good examples of it... if you do not fix known and reproducible bugs, you do not care enough about your product in my point of view...
If you need me, follow the shadows...