Bug in conversion of P08 programs, or edit buffer dump

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Bug in conversion of P08 programs, or edit buffer dump
« on: November 20, 2017, 08:58:21 AM »
I've witnessed a strange thing... I dumped all the P08 factory presets from DSI's website to my REV2... and then I requested these back in my SoundDiver editor, so that I could put them into a library in REV2 format (they will be in REV2 format when they are requested again).

Now within SoundDiver, when I browse my library, it send out the program selected as a Program Edit Buffer dump to the REV2, and this is when I get some strange behavior.

It's happening when switching between programs that has the A/B Mode set differently... as an example it can be reproduced by switching between sending the programs "Come Together" and "Compressed" (as an edit buffer dump). One use only layer A, the other both A and B.

When switching from "Come Together" to "Compressed", then the last sent program sound differently for every four notes pressed, as if somehow the program is still behaving in Stack A+B mode, even though it's only using Layer A (Stack A+B not lit).

When switching from "Compressed" to "Come Together", then one of the layers is not there at all, even though the Stack A+B button is lit up... behaving as if it was in single layer mode.

The programs will work again if you press the "Stack A+B" button twice after switching programs.

So something is not initialized correctly when the REV2 receives a Program Edit Buffer dump...

This gives me nervous ticks, as this reminds me of the never-fixed Evolver Edit Buffer dump :/
If you need me, follow the shadows...

dslsynth

Re: Bug in conversion of P08 programs, or edit buffer dump
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 09:05:45 AM »
Would be interesting if you can check if this problem persists when changing between the specified two programs but via front panel program change feature between two saved programs instead of edit buffer message.

A recent post seems to signal that other program parameters have a similar issue:
https://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,2073.0.html
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 09:18:45 AM »
Would be interesting if you can check if this problem persists when changing between the specified two programs but via front panel program change feature between two saved programs instead of edit buffer message.

A recent post seems to signal that other program parameters have a similar issue:
https://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,2073.0.html

I does not... because I actually dumped some of these into a memory location and swapped between them... then they work fine.... one other thing to notice is, that it does NOT happen when it is the REV2 programs that are being browsed the same way (using edit buffer dumps)...

Also... the two programs from P08 mentioned sometimes work with a swap from the non-stacked A+B program to the stacked A+B program... but never the other way around. and it happens VERY often when I browse P08 converted programs, not just the two mentioned... it basically means, that right now I have to always press the Stack A+B button twice whenever I send a program edit buffer dump, otherwise I cannot be certain that the sound is being played as it should.

dslsynth

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 09:23:32 AM »
Good find and excellent analysis!
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 09:44:09 AM »
update... it happens with the REV2 factory programs as well... so it's not a conversion bug, it's a Program Edit Buffer Dump bug... things do not get initialized correctly, and yes, maybe this is related to the FX bug as well, I do not know... I'm going to make some more tests with stored presets and switching from the front panel...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 09:55:31 AM »
I just took two of the REV2 factory presets, and switched between them via sending edit buffer dumps (programs "XFadePluck" and "YammyTribute")... the "XFadePluck" program always sound wrong when switched to. first four notes pressed sound one way, and the next four another way (I'm using an 8-voice REV2).

Program sound correct after pressing the Stack A+B two times.

To be certain this does not happen when switching programs via the Program knob, I dumped these exact two programs into the REV2 memory, and then tried switching between them using the Program knob... this way it works fine... but as soon as I start sending edit buffer dumps again, the problem returns.

I'm pretty sure there is an edit buffer initialization bug present now... if this bug is responsible for other bugs like the FX bug I cannot say.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 09:59:03 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder if this is a bug related to an 8-voice REV2... there must be some code difference to take into account when using either 8 or 16 voice REV2s, and one of the things that would certainly require separate code to handle the two models would be the A/B modes and voice allocation.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 03:05:05 PM »
I have sent a bug report about this to support, since I can still reproduce the bug since the latest OS update.

I've checked this thoroughly and it happens every time. When I switch between different programs with different layer A/B configurations, via SysEx edit buffer dumps, then something is not initializing correctly. When switching from a stacked/split program to one that use only Layer A, then the sound change for every 4 keypresses (I'm on 8voices here... those with 16 might have them switch every 8th keypress, I do not know, or maybe it's only an 8voice bug)... when the program I switch to is one with stackA/B, then one of the layers is not sounding...

Sometimes, if you switch to a program that uses the sequencers, it will run extremely fast, and not per the program Tempo.

Something is not initialized correctly I think, when receiving an edit buffer dump... as soon as you double click either SPlitAB or StackAB buttons, then things get correctly initialized.

Some may say that this is minor, and that there is no problem in just pressing those buttons two times... but when you use a computer editor, that lets you browse programs by sending them to the edit buffer, it really becomes a pain in the neck because every time you select a new preset from a library on your computer and it is send to the edit buffer, you cannot know if the sound is playing the way it should, and the only way to be certain is to double click those A/B buttons... and to have to do this every time you select a new preset in your library is simply extremely irritating.

So I really hope this bug will be fixed... I'll report back if the bug is confirmed by DSI, and if they will add it to the bug fixing list.

dslsynth

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 05:54:03 AM »
I have to agree! Edit buffer bugs prevents any editor from working correctly. Also, it sounds like layer mode and BPM are not initialized correctly from edit buffer dumps.
#!/bin/sh