Wobbly Pots

monsterz

• The Moonlandingz, I Monster, The All Seeing I.....
Wobbly Pots
« on: November 20, 2017, 06:03:41 AM »

New owner of an OB6. Sounds fantastic. My first DSI synth.

Is the wobbly nature of these pots normal? Please see my youtube clip below.
When I queried this with the retailer that sold it to me, I was told that all DSI products are like this to some degree. Surely not?

https://youtu.be/6IF-7t1ZoYs

Re: Wobbly Pots
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 06:38:14 AM »

New owner of an OB6. Sounds fantastic. My first DSI synth.

Is the wobbly nature of these pots normal? Please see my youtube clip below.
When I queried this with the retailer that sold it to me, I was told that all DSI products are like this to some degree. Surely not?

https://youtu.be/6IF-7t1ZoYs

I'd contact support - that looks excessively wobbly.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 07:37:20 AM »
Ouch, that doens't look normal to me.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 01:08:28 PM »
I have the desktop module and none of my knobs are even close to that. In fact I have no wobble at all on any of the knobs. That doesn't look like knob wobble...Seems more like something underneath the panel is not right. Take it back.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 05:54:25 AM »
Ive serial #100 bought launch day and pots are not wobbly at all.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 07:48:07 AM »
Mine are this exact same way. Thought same thing when i got this as thought where way to wobbly. Doesnt affect playing but compared to minilogue which are no wobble at all and this synth is 2 grand more shouldnt be that way

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 02:21:56 AM »
Some pot brands are a bit wobblier than others. I'm sure I can make many pots on synths move with enough force, but in doing so would be stressing the solder joints. If they're all consistent then this is normal. If one is wobblier than another then it's a faulty part.

Pots are supposed to be turned not pressed.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »
Of course if I intentionally wiggle the plastic knobs, they will move a little sideways. Surely these are not as rigid as the knobs on my Minimoog D, but these aren't industrial grade, big heavy duty, sealed Allen-Bradley army rated potentiometers costing $30 each either ! 
I agree with gilesjuk, pots are supposed to be turned not moved sideways. And, on my OB6 desktop at least, when turning them they feel rock solid.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 10:42:16 PM »
Of course if I intentionally wiggle the plastic knobs, they will move a little sideways. Surely these are not as rigid as the knobs on my Minimoog D, but these aren't industrial grade, big heavy duty, sealed Allen-Bradley army rated potentiometers costing $30 each either ! 
I agree with gilesjuk, pots are supposed to be turned not moved sideways. And, on my OB6 desktop at least, when turning them they feel rock solid.

The pots are very solid feeling on my OB6 as well.  Thing is built like a tank.