My first Tempest track

LoboLives

My first Tempest track
« on: November 18, 2017, 10:50:03 PM »
I already posted this my the My Music section but i figured Tempest users would like to hear it as well. I finally brought my Tempest to my studio after programming a ton of stuff at home and I was really happy to finally record something down. So please enjoy my cover of The Soldier soundtrack by Tangerine Dream dome entirely with the Tempest.

Re: My first Tempest track
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:46:41 AM »
I already posted this my the My Music section but i figured Tempest users would like to hear it as well. I finally brought my Tempest to my studio after programming a ton of stuff at home and I was really happy to finally record something down. So please enjoy my cover of The Soldier soundtrack by Tangerine Dream dome entirely with the Tempest.

Sounds great.
Always enjoy Tangerine dream inspired tracks.
I actually enjoyed the Soldier more so for the Tangerine dream soundtrack on it!
Got any John Carpenter/Alan Howarth inspired stuff on the way with Tempest?

Tim

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 07:03:30 PM »

Sounds great.
Always enjoy Tangerine dream inspired tracks.
I actually enjoyed the Soldier more so for the Tangerine dream soundtrack on it!
Got any John Carpenter/Alan Howarth inspired stuff on the way with Tempest?

Thanks

Just programmed The Duke Arrives from Escape From New York. I may record that next week. Has some Prophet 6 and guitar on there as well.

Actually the first thing I did was program a ton of Carpenter tracks (Halloween, Christine, They Live And Escape From New York) I used only the LM-1 samples and tuned them a tad lower in pitch like Howarth did.

Also in the My Music section I just did an original track heavily inspired by Carpenter/Howarth.

dsetto

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 06:56:12 AM »
I like it. Nice work. The groove starting 2:00. So quantized and yet groovy. I'm curious as to what's what - timing wise (quantize-not quantize wize) - but it's a somewhat rhetorical question. no need for answers - though that's welcomed. Fun. Awesome, actually. Gonna repeat it. few times, maybe.

dsetto

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 06:57:57 AM »
First time I listened, I needle-dropped about 3:30 mark. Now, I found the beginning at 2:00. This  is  good. I don't listen to this type of music typically. Real good.

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 08:05:27 AM »
First time I listened, I needle-dropped about 3:30 mark. Now, I found the beginning at 2:00. This  is  good. I don't listen to this type of music typically. Real good.

Thanks so much for the kind words. All of the sequencing is done with the Tempest including the pumping bassline and high pitched staccato notes. The rest is all Prophet 6 and Stratocaster.

The beats were quantized in 8th notes and 16th notes (for the high hat used with the ROLL function)

It's just a demo, I'll likely re-record it once I get some ARPs for the sequencing and better guitar work. The Tempest really surprised me with how good it sounds doing synth work. Easily is going to become a mainstay in my set up. Keep your eyes peeled on the My Music section I'm going to add The Duke Arrives cover this weekend.

dsetto

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »
You are welcome. They're my honest thoughts. ... How closely a cover is it? ... The authorship of the ideas doesn't truly matter. The programmed performance of the sounds is entirely cool in its own right. Gonna go play it again.

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »
You are welcome. They're my honest thoughts. ... How closely a cover is it? ... The authorship of the ideas doesn't truly matter. The programmed performance of the sounds is entirely cool in its own right. Gonna go play it again.

It's a very close cover. But people cover Carpenter's stuff all the time. I actually just met him the other day when he played a show here in Toronto. Such a laid back and down to earth guy.