Baloran The River

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Baloran The River
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2017, 09:10:32 AM »
The Ottava Module is $775, and the Trentasette Keyboard is $1050.  I'd be more than willing to spend those modest amounts of money for a really fine monophonic instrument.  These instruments wouldn't be enough synthesizer for most folks here - having only 60 storage patches - but for my needs they could be perfect: simple in architecture, but strong in the fundamentals of synthesis.

What Artisan needs is decent musical demonstrations.  Thus far, they're amazingly poor in content and sound quality.  I'm sure this hasn't helped their business.

Here's a decent overview:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/10/02/artisan-electronic-instruments-ottava-analog-synthesizer-neurorack-eurorack-modules/
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:05:04 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2017, 05:19:42 PM »
I'm shocked that there's not more discussion about the instrument. I guess it's out of people's real estate and price. Still nice. At least someone is stepping up to the plate and doing a MemoryMoog/Poly Moog type thing.

I think the problem is that only very, very few had a chance to play one already and that it comes - or will come - in rather limited quantities. The price tag might play a role too. It would be nice, though, to hear some quality recordings once it's been shipping. From the demos of which most have been recorded with a camera mic only, it definitely sounds promising and flexible.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2017, 07:50:09 PM »
I'm shocked that there's not more discussion about the instrument. I guess it's out of people's real estate and price. Still nice. At least someone is stepping up to the plate and doing a MemoryMoog/Poly Moog type thing.

I think the problem is that only very, very few had a chance to play one already and that it comes - or will come - in rather limited quantities. The price tag might play a role too. It would be nice, though, to hear some quality recordings once it's been shipping. From the demos of which most have been recorded with a camera mic only, it definitely sounds promising and flexible.

These synths are a hark back to the early years when only successful musicians with an experimental bend would be able to afford the most spectacular synthesisers, but then the music that would come as from them....
I sorta don't like the idea of artificially limiting the numbers available, but by the same token, an instrument like The River and that CS-80 clone would be wasted on me.  Let the likes of Vangelis have them and put some man man beauty into the world with their skill.

Well I think "Sledge" wins the prize for dumb names.  Like something you shovel out of the bottom of a tank :-\    When I went to sell mine I was actually worried that would be a limiting factor.

You are confusing "sledge" with "sludge".  One letter is the difference between a large hammer and industrial waste-product.
I'm assuming here that Waldorf and Studio Logic meant to associate the synth with a hammer used for demolition work and not what Santa rides while being towed by flying reindeer.  Dead sure neither of them wanted to us to think "cool, a synth that sounds sedimentary scum!"

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2017, 04:45:30 AM »
These synths are a hark back to the early years when only successful musicians with an experimental bend would be able to afford the most spectacular synthesisers, but then the music that would come as from them....
I sorta don't like the idea of artificially limiting the numbers available, but by the same token, an instrument like The River and that CS-80 clone would be wasted on me.  Let the likes of Vangelis have them and put some man man beauty into the world with their skill.

I generally agree with that (especially the first half). I doubt, though, that these synths are produced in artificially limited numbers. There's a simple economic reason - not an artificially created one - that makes them limited in the first place: These types of synths are niche, not mass products.

In the market for electronic devices, musical instruments are only a tiny sub group. And within this group you find many specialized niches like analog, digital, or hybrid synths, diverse controllers, etc. And within these niches you again find more sub niches covering everything from beginner's (like the Volcas) to highly exclusive instruments (like the Schmidt), from standardized (keyboard instruments) to more esoteric ones (like the Haken Continuum).

So if you look outside the feedback chambers of synth forums, it becomes obvious what a tiny and unprofitable (by the standards of mass produced electronic devices like computer screens or mobile phones) market this really is, unless your product sells in the region of 100,000 and above like the DX7, the D-50, or the M1. But even that is a rather low number compared to the sales of other electronic devices. Still, if you sell about 3,000 of a product per year, you also can't take advantage of the cost saving options in the production run that apply to really mass produced items.

And then there are also the hardware components for the tactile interaction with an instrument, the field that is not really affected by the technological progress that has made lots of inner components more affordable over the years: A sturdy front plate, knobs, buttons, potentiometers, wood panels, etc.

As for The River: One also has to take into account that this is a project organized by one guy. He doesn't have a large or even a small company to rely upon in terms of resources. In order to not end up in bankruptcy with hundreds of huge synths in his basement, the best thing he could do is to start production based on pre-orders and in test run quantities. If the demand is there and he receives enough positive feedback, he might do another production run, just like Schmidt did. Given the small numbers, any further production and thus the instrument itself won't become any cheaper though.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:48:29 AM by Paul Dither »

LoboLives

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2017, 07:55:04 AM »
I'm not going to lie...if I had the money to spend. A Schmidt would be a serious consideration.

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2017, 08:09:29 AM »
I'm not going to lie...if I had the money to spend. A Schmidt would be a serious consideration.

The problem is that one cannot simply check one out in a store.

LoboLives

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2017, 10:09:44 AM »

The problem is that one cannot simply check one out in a store.

Yeah and demos online have been hit and miss. It sounds impressive but it seems to be lacking in basic synth features arppegiators and stuff

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
I'm assuming here that Waldorf and Studio Logic meant to associate the synth with a hammer used for demolition work and not what Santa rides while being towed by flying reindeer.

Apparently, "sledge" = "sled"...so who knows?
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2017, 03:58:19 AM »
I like the name, «The River». It sounds organic, alive and powerful, just like the synth. It also reminds me of Bruce Springsteen’s song. So when I hear «The River» I think «The Boss». Which is another name that would befit this behemoth. «What instrument do I play? I play The River.» That sounds damn classy to me.  8)

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2017, 05:03:15 AM »
The name aside, I’m very enthusiastic about The River. I have a Prophet 6, an OB-6 and a Prophet 12. I like them all, and have thought for a long time about poly chaining the Prophet 6 to its module, since I think it has the best overall sound of the three and I hear notes cutting off all the time. But it is also easy to hear that these synths are related. It would be nice with something outside the family.

My Moog Sub 37 fits the bill nicely, and has a darker, bassier sound. A polyphonic Moog would be a great match, which is exactly what The River aims to be. It sounds awesome and has a different set of features. The problem is availability. Depending on what is announced at Namm soon, I might set my aim at The River for the Big Analog Sound.

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2018, 02:08:11 PM »
The River will be demonstrated at the SynthFest France in Nantes, starting the 30th march 2018 up to the 1st of April. I will have the great honor to play it on stage.

SynthFest program and details is available here: www.synthfestfrance.com
My soundbanks for OB6 & Prophet 6: www.barbandco.com

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2018, 12:16:56 PM »

Interesting cultural discussion this thread has become. I am sure I can put some extremely offensive words in here without any English native speaker getting offended .....

Ga je gang; ik zou best wel een paar nieuwe Nederlandse scheldwoorden willen leren. :-)

Kja

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2018, 03:36:28 PM »
I don't have specific expectations for Artisan Electronic Instruments.  I simply stumbled across them one day and found them interesting.  So far, they offer a monophonic keyboard and module synthesizer that interests me.  They've also been working on a polyphonic synthesizer that seems impressive.  It certainly would be nice to have a new option in analog synthesizers of the classical sort.  I would be very excited to see that.

I like their philosophy and presentation, but I can't speak for the actual quality of their instruments, since I've never played one.  But I'll be in the market for a new synthesizer between now and May, so I've got my eyes open.  DSI is still my favorite company, but I'm not expecting them to produce an analog mono synth, so this has me interested in Artisan.

By the way, this thread quickly moved to the present topic - seemingly because no one was especially interested in Baloran the River - and it really has been the topic since.  It probably should be split off into a "Synthesizer Names" thread.
I own the trentassette, and a prophet 6.. Its a hell of a synth.. People missed out not getting one. Mike is making a new semi modular now with wavetables/wavefolder/ and it has multiple filter types, well you'll see.. Its dope. He's gotta finish his modular stuff first though. The poly will be after his new mono. I don't put videos up of my artisan stuff because he was handmaking them, it was more of an experiment leading to his new synth.

Kja

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2018, 06:52:12 PM »
The Ottava Module is $775, and the Trentasette Keyboard is $1050.  I'd be more than willing to spend those modest amounts of money for a really fine monophonic instrument.  These instruments wouldn't be enough synthesizer for most folks here - having only 60 storage patches - but for my needs they could be perfect: simple in architecture, but strong in the fundamentals of synthesis.

What Artisan needs is decent musical demonstrations.  Thus far, they're amazingly poor in content and sound quality.  I'm sure this hasn't helped their business.

Here's a decent overview:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/10/02/artisan-electronic-instruments-ottava-analog-synthesizer-neurorack-eurorack-modules/
The ottava is one of the easiest synths around, rivaling synths like mcbeth and such.. Just massive balls.. Like if a Odyssey and a moog had a baby.

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2019, 08:21:30 AM »

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/tag/baloran/
http://www.baloran.com/store/

http://www.baloran.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=277
The price of The River goes to 4992€ before tax, is 5990€ with VAT of 20%.

Why would this sound so much better on Youtube than a Moog One.
Can't be all Moog One posts use inferior audio interface or  recording equipment.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:31:43 AM by musicmaker »

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2019, 08:30:22 AM »

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/tag/baloran/
hurl=http://www.baloran.com/store/]http://www.baloran.com/store/[/url]
http://www.baloran.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=277
The price of The River goes to 4992€ before tax, is 5990€ with VAT of 20%.

Why would this sound so much better on Youtube than a Moog One.
Can't be all Moog One posts use inferior audio interface or  recording equipment.

€2200 is just the deposit. Total is €5990 including the 20% VAT.