Baloran The River

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Baloran The River
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 05:41:44 AM »
In general I don't care much about the name... it's the sound that matters, and I'd certainly not diss a really cool synth, just because it had an ugly name, or even a bit dirty one... my line is crossed when it's names that signal inhumanity... profanity I really do not care about...

My own personal view on naming a synth is that it's original, and has some relevance to the synth... thus MoPho for MonoPhonic suits me rather well.... Prophet on the other hand sounds cool, but what does a prophet even relate to when it comes to a synthesizer!?

The River is referring to The Source, so the name fits with it's meaning... it just sounds pretty lame and even more if you do not know the reason.

I personally like names that is a kind of analogy for what it really is.... when I once designed my own little synth based on the Commodore 64 SID chip, I called it "ParaSID" ("parasite" for those who do not get it). These are the kind of naming I like.... if I had to decide.... which I do not, so I just cope with whatever the creators want to call their creations... halleluja! :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:43:49 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 06:01:14 AM »
Prophet on the other hand sounds cool, but what does a prophet even relate to when it comes to a synthesizer!?

According to The Prophet from Silicon Valley, they were shooting for something mystical and magical, probably inspired by the Prog Rock movement. It was in fact Rick Wakeman, the only musician who got a sneak preview of what the Prophet-5 should become, who suggested that the synth should be given a proper name. In the early stages, the Prophet-5 should have just been called the Model 1000, following Sequential Circuits' Model 600, 700, and 800 (the sequencers and the programmer). Alternative name suggestions included "Seer" and "Wizard". So the pool of names was mostly genre-related or rather related to what sort of narratives the Prog genre was often referring to: mythological and phantasy stories, the kind of stuff you'd expect from keyboard players dressed in a wizard cape.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:05:14 AM by Paul Dither »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 06:28:57 AM »
Prophet on the other hand sounds cool, but what does a prophet even relate to when it comes to a synthesizer!?

According to The Prophet from Silicon Valley, they were shooting for something mystical and magical, probably inspired by the Prog Rock movement. It was in fact Rick Wakeman, the only musician who got a sneak preview of what the Prophet-5 should become, who suggested that the synth should be given a proper name. In the early stages, the Prophet-5 should have just been called the Model 1000, following Sequential Circuits' Model 600, 700, and 800 (the sequencers and the programmer). Alternative name suggestions included "Seer" and "Wizard". So the pool of names was mostly genre-related or rather related to what sort of narratives the Prog genre was often referring to: mythological and phantasy stories, the kind of stuff you'd expect from keyboard players dressed in a wizard cape.

Well... that would be me then... I adore fantasy in every aspect... I even have a roleplaying wizard's robe somewhere :D
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 07:22:43 AM »
I would have just called the Schmidt-GOLIATH 80 (Massive size and 8 voices)

I would have just called The River-POLYSOURCE.

dslsynth

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 08:39:58 AM »
On the first page of this topic you guys managed to prove Godwin's law and have even started drinking. Seems like the product got quite some marketing potential. Or is it an audience artifact!?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2017, 02:22:12 PM »
I dunno maybe I’m alone. But even the $25,000 Schmidt’s name puts me off more than the price tag!

No, you're not; I feel the same way.  I most certainly would have bought a Mopho SE or x4, had the name not stopped me.  My wife even tried to persuade me to ask DSI if they would make just one of these instruments without the name on the body, because she didn't want such a filthy name in the house either.   

I realize many musicians don't care about such things.  As long as the instrument sounds cool, they wouldn't care if it was covered with swastikas.  But I consider an instrument's name to be an important finishing touch, a prominent statement that can either dignify it or disgrace it.

Isn't that taking it a bit far, to compare with nazi signs!? ... I definitely would not want a synth with that, but "Mopho" really does not aggravate me the slightest.... did anyone think that the name could actually stand for "MOnoPHOnic" ? :D

I personally like the name Mopho better than those plain boring letters and numbers other companies use...

Yes, of course.  That fuller name is right on the front of the Desktop.  But you don't notice the full spelling as well as "Mopho." 

Everybody knows the incestuous meaning of that slang word.  That, in principle, is enough reason to avoid it.  But to give one among many possible practical examples:  My wife is a music teacher for K-4th grade.  I often accompany on piano her music performances with the kids, and we'd like to use a synthesizer one of these days.  What do you think the reaction would be from students, teachers, administration, and parents to an instrument that says on the back, "Mopho"?  And what about a religious setting, such as a Christmas concert?  Or a rest home?  Etc. etc.  A name such as "Mopho" - offensive as it is in itself - puts immediate restrictions on its public use.

I don't mean to be shocking, but the rock and roll standard doesn't hold everywhere; it really isn't the social norm, thank God.  You can disagree with all of this if it doesn't personally bother you, but that doesn't change the facts.  People are justifiably offended by trash talk.  Personally, I don't want to hear such filth, and I sure don't want to see it every time I go in my music room.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:37:45 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 02:43:52 PM »
I don't mean to be shocking, but the rock and roll standard doesn't hold everywhere;

Maybe people like myself who are not native english speakers and furthermore lives in a culture where such words do not matter too much are far less concerned about the Mopho name than someone like you are. Cultural context! I have seen american musicians putting a black piece of tape over the logo on a Mokey. Personally I found that move ridiculously funny. But not everyone do that.
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2017, 04:12:12 PM »
Yes, it's true that, if you don't know the meaning of a foreign word, you won't be bothered by its meaning.  But once you learn its meaning, shouldn't you then care if it's perverse? 

So I could use any crude term I please here, without concern that I might offend someone?  We all know that's not true.  So why is an abbreviation of "mother----er" tolerated?  Are there no mothers who would like to comment on this, no feminists or social justice warriors? 

During this past summer, someone started a thread about 'synth babes'.  It was quickly denounced as offensive and completely removed. And yet, the expletive "mopho" is considered cool?  It's a tad inconsistent, don't you think?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:40:01 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 04:39:01 PM »
No, you're not; I feel the same way.  I most certainly would have bought a Mopho SE or x4, had the name not stopped me.  My wife even tried to persuade me to ask DSI if they would make just one of these instruments without the name on the body, because she didn't want such a filthy name in the house either. 
I had a similar but slightly different take on the MoPho name.  I never seriously looked at or considered the synth because I assumed (largely due to the name) that it wasn’t a professional piece of gear.  I don’t think I did any of this consciously; quite the contrary, I’m sure it was a base, subconscious reaction.  One that cost DSI a potential sale.  With a different name, I may have considered it as an alternative to the rather-cool-named Moog Minitaur.

My 2¢
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2017, 04:42:48 PM »
Good point.  That's the other side of the coin.

What would have been wrong with the name "Monophonic"?  Jeepers, I would have been happy with "Nonic," as in moNOphoNIC.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:45:27 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 04:46:33 PM »
Good point.  That's the other side of the coin.

What would have been wrong with the name "Monophonic"?  Jeepers, I would have been happy with "Nonic," as in moNOphoNIC.

DS-1

Keep it simple.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2017, 05:01:41 PM »
Ah the little monosynth and it's funny self-explanatory name.
Mopho (mofo), in it's full form, was originally a way to describe a very good musician.  Frank Zappa, the megalomaniac he was,  originally wanted to call his band a cut down version of the term but was told to just leave off the "f" word was not enough, thus the "of Invention" bit was added.  Somewhere during the 70's the term was appropriated by the street culture and by the 90's had a new meaning associated with USA gangster culture.

I remember thinking when I first saw the yellow box in the store display that the name was clever, but at the same time I was very disappointed that a synth from a speciality company like DSI would use a name I'd expect out of a guitar pedal company.  And considering Moog had previously tried to engage the guitarist market, I was fearing the worst.  Part of me was happy it was something I could afford and fit into my space, but part of me was let down by such a simple synth (compared to what I was used to) with what seemed like a novelty theme.  I am happy DSI didn't release the Analogue PhaFlaDelia next (but I've got a feeling Elektron may have that device on the way).

All this does highlight that as much as a name makes no difference to the sound of an instrument, it certainly influences the perception of the performer to the audience and possibly even more importantly, the performer's self-perception.

With regards to the moniker of a limited run of 20 synths assembled by hand for a truly boutique market, they can call it what they want, the buyers will buy it even if it's called the "Dream Rainbow Of Love".

The more and more of these labours of love I see, the more I realise if I want a bespoke ridiculo-synth, I'm gonna need to start making a modular or buy more Evolvers.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2017, 02:22:19 AM »
I don't mean to be shocking, but the rock and roll standard doesn't hold everywhere;

Maybe people like myself who are not native english speakers and furthermore lives in a culture where such words do not matter too much are far less concerned about the Mopho name than someone like you are. Cultural context! I have seen american musicians putting a black piece of tape over the logo on a Mokey. Personally I found that move ridiculously funny. But not everyone do that.
I have absolutely no idea what the Mopho name stands for except monophonic.

Interesting cultural discussion this thread has become. I am sure I can put some extremely offensive words in here without any English native speaker getting offended .....
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2017, 06:28:49 AM »
Interesting cultural discussion this thread has become. I am sure I can put some extremely offensive words in here without any English native speaker getting offended .....

That's the spirit!  ;)

Meanwhile, it's time to heat up mo' phở (beef, specifically) for lunch.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 06:30:42 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

dslsynth

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2017, 01:16:29 PM »
. o O ( MoRant )
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2017, 06:45:37 AM »
Well I think "Sledge" wins the prize for dumb names.  Like something you shovel out of the bottom of a tank :-\    When I went to sell mine I was actually worried that would be a limiting factor.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 07:22:37 AM »
I loath the whole puerile pop culture world as a primary source for instrument names.  I wish music itself would again be used as a source, as it was in the past - names such as the "Prelude," the "Fugue," the "Finale," the "Crescendo;" or even Italian musical terms such as the "Amoroso," or the "Dolce," and so on.  If a series of models is needed, then the "Opus I," the "Opus II," and so on, as was done somewhat in the past.

A decent name can add such dignity to an instrument, and it can also help to broaden its appeal to other types of musicians and other styles of music than the usual.  I realize this is in vain, but I also wish synthesizer companies would themselves directly make such an appeal, or at least offer an instrument or two for us.  Fortunately, the "Prophet" name is clean and dignified, and DSI has certainly made plenty use of it.  But as for that Evolver logo.... 

Roland is a good example of a company that has directed its efforts towards classical and church musicians, with their digital organs and harpsichords.  But this doesn't include their synthesizers, and that's what I'm primarily speaking about.  I had my hopes in Artisan Electronic Instruments (https://www.artisanelectronicinstruments.com/), but their growth has been painfully slow.  Perhaps they'll eventually get there.  But personally, I'm so tired of having to repeatedly turn to the rock and roll world to find the instruments I need.  It isn't my kind of place, but I'm forced to return to it in order to find the synthesizers I need.   
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:38:35 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 07:51:44 AM »
I had my hopes in Artisan Electronic Instruments (https://www.artisanelectronicinstruments.com/), but their growth has been painfully slow.  Perhaps they'll eventually get there...

I realize this conversation has kind of gone off the rails from the discussion about the river, which looks very interesting, but now you've got me curious about Artisan Electronic Instruments. What particularly are your hopes for that company? That they'll eventually come out with a poly synth?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2017, 08:41:17 AM »
I don't have specific expectations for Artisan Electronic Instruments.  I simply stumbled across them one day and found them interesting.  So far, they offer a monophonic keyboard and module synthesizer that interests me.  They've also been working on a polyphonic synthesizer that seems impressive.  It certainly would be nice to have a new option in analog synthesizers of the classical sort.  I would be very excited to see that.

I like their philosophy and presentation, but I can't speak for the actual quality of their instruments, since I've never played one.  But I'll be in the market for a new synthesizer between now and May, so I've got my eyes open.  DSI is still my favorite company, but I'm not expecting them to produce an analog mono synth, so this has me interested in Artisan.

By the way, this thread quickly moved to the present topic - seemingly because no one was especially interested in Baloran the River - and it really has been the topic since.  It probably should be split off into a "Synthesizer Names" thread. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:08:58 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2017, 09:07:27 AM »
I'm shocked that there's not more discussion about the instrument. I guess it's out of people's real estate and price. Still nice. At least someone is stepping up to the plate and doing a MemoryMoog/Poly Moog type thing.