Baloran The River

LoboLives

Baloran The River
« on: November 16, 2017, 09:32:16 AM »
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned. You all get your MemoryMoog wish thanks to the french. :)

http://www.baloran.com/store/index.php?route=journal2/blog/post&journal_blog_post_id=19

8 voice polyphony,
2 VCOs/voice, based on the Moog Source, but more advanced
Ladder VCF
VCO mod via ENV, PWM, F
Discrete LFOs & ENVs (2x) + global digital LFO
8 x multi-timbral
Arpeggiator & Sequencer/Voic
5 Oct Fatar TP/8S Keyboard
Analog TriChorus
Modulation matrix

I HATE the name. I'm not sure what is with companies naming synths dumb things as of late but the capabilities are nuts.

Only 20 made for the pre order and so far on the GearSlutz forum...a lot of them have been snapped up by members there. 

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Baloran The River
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 11:39:26 AM »
My favorite feature?  The flat top, making the close stacking of keyboards possible.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:41:57 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 01:15:17 PM »
My favorite feature?  The flat top, making the close stacking of keyboards possible.

Or a perfect resting place for your morning glass of scotch.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 01:40:27 PM »
Isn't that a little risky? 

chysn

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 01:52:39 PM »
I HATE the name. I'm not sure what is with companies naming synths dumb things as of late but the capabilities are nuts.

"What kind of synth do you play?"

"I play a The River!"
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned.

Seems like I missed doing that. I can remember that I wanted to share the info early this year already.

Either way, an impressive project.

The name "The River" was chosen because the voices are based on the Moog Source and many sources lead to a river.

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 04:11:24 PM »
Isn't that a little risky?

Depends how early you get up I suppose.

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 04:13:08 PM »

The name "The River" was chosen because the voices are based on the Moog Source and many sources lead to a river.

Oh brother...

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 04:19:06 PM »

Oh brother...

See that's what happens if you get up early and have a bottle of scotch.

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 04:42:26 PM »

Oh brother...

I said glass! ;)

chysn

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 04:53:38 PM »

Oh brother...

I like how we went from "glass of scotch" to "bottle of scotch" in just seven posts.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 05:05:13 PM »

Oh brother...

I said glass! ;)

I have glasses that will hold a full bottle :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 05:08:23 PM »
a lot of sources that becomes a river... and then what if that synth becomes another project? ... The Sunami? The Flood? ... at some point they will have to name a synth down the line "Atlantis" I suppose... but that name has probably already been used...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 07:44:34 PM »
As always, I'm waiting for the monophonic version.  It'll be called "The Drip".

Shaw

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 07:52:19 PM »
Ha!   The Desktop unit will be "The Puddle".
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 08:19:15 PM »
 I know this is silly but I do sort of put importance in a name. I know it has nothing to do with the quality of the instrument but I actually sort of get put off by a dumb name. I mean look at how fast it’s become a joke just in this thread.

I do wish that synth names would somewhat be more simplified and include numbers. I applaud DSI for doing this with the Prophets. There is something about a name like Yamaha DX7 or Kurzweil 2500 or Korg M1 or Yamaha CS-80 that sounds better than Montage or Peak or The River.

Even DSI is somewhat guilty of this with names like Mopho. Hell, I sort of think Tempest is a lame name but it’s far superior to its original names (MetroGnome and Boom Chick) but could we not have simply gone with the Linn Drum 2 or LS-6 (for Linn and Smith plus number of polyphony).

I dunno maybe I’m alone. But even the $25,000 Schmidt’s name puts me off more than the price tag! 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 08:59:52 PM »
Ha!   The Desktop unit will be "The Puddle".

I was thinking instead "The Drop".

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 09:04:48 PM »
I dunno maybe I’m alone. But even the $25,000 Schmidt’s name puts me off more than the price tag!

No, you're not; I feel the same way.  I most certainly would have bought a Mopho SE or x4, had the name not stopped me.  My wife even tried to persuade me to ask DSI if they would make just one of these instruments without the name on the body, because she didn't want such a filthy name in the house either.   

I realize many musicians don't care about such things.  As long as the instrument sounds cool, they wouldn't care if it was covered with swastikas.  But I consider an instrument's name to be an important finishing touch, a prominent statement that can either dignify it or disgrace it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:24:19 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 05:20:11 AM »
In my view, Moog wins the award for both best name (Minitaur) and worst name (Moogerfooger). Thankfully, they haven't released a series of "Motherfooger" eurorack modules yet, but I'm always afraid that it's coming.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 05:30:51 AM »

No, you're not; I feel the same way.  I most certainly would have bought a Mopho SE or x4, had the name not stopped me.  My wife even tried to persuade me to ask DSI if they would make just one of these instruments without the name on the body, because she didn't want such a filthy name in the house either.   

I realize many musicians don't care about such things.  As long as the instrument sounds cool, they wouldn't care if it was covered with swastikas.  But I consider an instrument's name to be an important finishing touch, a prominent statement that can either dignify it or disgrace it.

Isn't that taking it a bit far, to compare with nazi signs!? ... I definitely would not want a synth with that, but "Mopho" really does not aggravate me the slightest.... did anyone think that the name could actually stand for "MOnoPHOnic" ? :D

I personally like the name Mopho better than those plain boring letters and numbers other companies use...