LFO's behaving strangely on latest 1.1.0.1 (SOLVED)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
LFO's behaving strangely on latest 1.1.0.1 (SOLVED)
« on: November 16, 2017, 01:39:59 AM »
I know that there has been some problems with the LFO as I can see that in another thread in here that is now locked... I'm on the latest OS, but the LFO still behave strangely when pressing certain keys... it does not matter what shape or frequency you choose for the LFO... at some keys, the LFO shape "breaks up"... you can hear it when you set the LFO frequency very slow... then suddenly there is a short duration in the modulation where all sound simply disappears for a brief period... it happens with all shapes, all frequencies and no matter if the key sync is on, or the clock sync...

The behavior starts with values 81 and above for the Triangle shape, and all other shapes it start with values 41 and above.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:54:33 PM by extempo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: LFO's behaving strangely on latest 1.1.0.1
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 02:56:27 AM »
Here is how to recreate the bug:

1. press Transpose Down/Up and Hold button to initialize a program.
2. Set LFO1 destination to Osc1 Freq
3. Set LFO1 Amount to max
4. Set LFO1 Frequency to 58
5. Play the upper last octave of the REV2 keyboard

somewhere in the middle of this octave you'll start to hear the LFO acting strangely... it happens with all the waveshapes, and at any rate setting... at lower rates you can easily hear what is going on... the amount has to be quite high before it starts to break up, and the amount for that will depend on the waveshape you choose, but all of the waveshapes does this.

Another thing worth noticing is that the keys at which it happens seems to shift a bit... when you play over the bad keys, some of them start to sound right, then other go bad, and back again.

A really weird behavior, and certainly it must be a bug... can others reproduce this?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 02:58:35 AM by Razmo »

aeonn

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 06:39:27 AM »
At first I was going to suggest a calibration routine since it was recommended on the latest OS version, but I tried following your step by step process and it turns out that you are right.

The sound cuts on some notes in the upper range. I notice it on 4 following notes (F, F#, G, G#).
It doesn’t sound like the LFO distorsion we experienced before the beta update. It seems like when the pitch goes under a certain value, the sound cuts and comes back when the value is then passed on the other side of the periodic curve.

Just to clarify, I run the latest beta update 1.1.0.1 and I have performed a calibration yesterday evening before trying out the step process.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 06:56:16 AM »
At first I was going to suggest a calibration routine since it was recommended on the latest OS version, but I tried following your step by step process and it turns out that you are right.

The sound cuts on some notes in the upper range. I notice it on 4 following notes (F, F#, G, G#).
It doesn’t sound like the LFO distorsion we experienced before the beta update. It seems like when the pitch goes under a certain value, the sound cuts and comes back when the value is then passed on the other side of the periodic curve.

Just to clarify, I run the latest beta update 1.1.0.1 and I have performed a calibration yesterday evening before trying out the step process.

And I also just recalibrated before just to be certain... and am also on the 1.1.0.1 OS ... so this is a bug indeed... I have send it to DSI support, I'm waiting for their confirmation response still.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 12:09:11 PM »
I can reproduce this for F, F# and G. It begins for F at Amount = 113, for F# at Amount = 97 and for G at Amount = 80.
DSI Prophet Rev2

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »
Support just wrote to me... they are aware of this bug, and working on it.

aeonn

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 11:28:42 AM »

Good to know they are aware of it and working on a fix

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 07:33:04 AM »

I have noticed the same problem. I hope they can fix this.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 05:42:02 PM »
This is resolved in BETA OS 1.1.0.2, available here: http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,1531.new.html#new
SEQUENTIAL

dslsynth

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 10:37:48 AM »
That was pretty quick bug fixing. Good job, DSI!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 02:41:00 AM »
The LFOs still behave strange... do the following:

1. initialize a program with Transpose/Hold
2. set LFO1 amount to max
3. set LFO1 destination to OSC1 freq
4. set OSC1 frequency to E1
5. set LFO1 frequency to 20

play some keys and hold them to hear... LFO behaves weird on a lot of keys with abrupt changes.

dslsynth

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 05:43:39 AM »

What waveform is LFO1 set to after this process? Triangle?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 07:57:19 AM »

What waveform is LFO1 set to after this process? Triangle?

Yes... It is the standard waveform selected when you initialize a program... After initializing, the only controls touched are those that i listed

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 09:53:13 AM »
Seems to happen for the almost lowest notes, interestingly not for the most lowest ones. I have found something quite similar for the almost highest notes. Support is informed and will have a look at it next week. Maybe the root cause is the same or similar. First let's grant them Thanks Giving...  ;)
DSI Prophet Rev2

jg666

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 12:19:39 PM »
Is the beta version still available as I can't see the link to download it anywhere?
Since loading 1.1.0.1 I've noticed F2 P93 seems to behave strange on F,G & A above middle C. If I transpose an octave on the keyboard the problem keys shift to where they are on the transposed keyboard, so it can't be the physical keys themselves.

This was OK before I updated, is my problem with this the same as this thread topic? Do others have the same problem on this preset?

Edit - 30 seconds after posting this I found the link to the beta version!

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 01:23:30 PM »
Is the beta version still available as I can't see the link to download it anywhere?
Since loading 1.1.0.1 I've noticed F2 P93 seems to behave strange on F,G & A above middle C. If I transpose an octave on the keyboard the problem keys shift to where they are on the transposed keyboard, so it can't be the physical keys themselves.

This was OK before I updated, is my problem with this the same as this thread topic? Do others have the same problem on this preset?

Edit - 30 seconds after posting this I found the link to the beta version!

I've noticed this (since 1.1.0.1) with patches F2 P85, F3 P8, & F3 P43. On one or two notes I get different/random LFO rates, underlying stepping through different notes behind the note played, and completely different underlying sounds from the preset. The latest update (1.1.0.2) didn't fix this issue for me however. I've contact customer support, but so far no luck.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:30:55 PM by Sleep of Reason »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 02:43:39 PM »
I can say that support recently told me that the LFO bug will be looked into more... they just could not give a timeframe for it... but at least it's on the bug list, so stay tuned for a fix...

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 02:58:50 PM »
Additional improvements in BETA OS 1.1.0.3: http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,1531.0.html
SEQUENTIAL

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 08:34:50 PM »
The update seems to have fixed the issue I was experiencing. Good job on the speedy fix, DSI!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 12:33:13 AM »
Additional improvements in BETA OS 1.1.0.3: http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,1531.0.html

I keep seeing "improvements" as the buzzword, but not the one i hoped, which is "fixed" ... Are this bug so comprehensive, that a full fix is not possible? 🙂