General NAMM 2016 Speculation

Sacred Synthesis

Re: General NAMM 2016 Speculation
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2016, 12:21:32 PM »
Those two synthesizers do belong together - a perfect match.  You'll have the best of both worlds.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:33:24 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2016, 12:49:46 PM »
[...] won't hinder me in ordering a P6 soon.

Hopefully not until after gearmas!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2016, 01:38:28 PM »
[...] won't hinder me in ordering a P6 soon.

Hopefully not until after gearmas!

Oh, I'll probably order before that. I'm not really expecting anything that would make me regret my decision.

dslsynth

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2016, 01:55:08 PM »
Oh, I'll probably order before that. I'm not really expecting anything that would make me regret my decision.

You are braver than I am! Prophet-6 is surely a great machine but I would still wait if I was you. Keyboard or module version?
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2016, 02:21:52 PM »

You are braver than I am! Prophet-6 is surely a great machine but I would still wait if I was you. Keyboard or module version?

No, that doesn't have anything to do with being brave. If there are two synths I fell in love with immediately in the past, it had to be the Pro 2 and the Prophet-6. Who likes the Prophet-6 likes it for mostly two reasons: sound and instant gratification. (I for one perceive the sound difference to be bigger than the recent comparison videos between the Prophet-6 and Prophet '08 suggest via YouTube.) I don't see how this appeal would suddenly disappear. There are only two things that could happen with regard to the Prophet-6 engine: a smaller and perhaps monophonic version or a larger version, which would be unaffordable for me anyway. So I really see no risk. Plus: I wanted a Prophet-5 ever since I was a teenager, but I'm too pragmatic to pay silly fetish prices, so in that sense the Prophet-6 is the perfect alternative for me.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2016, 02:43:54 PM »
Well... if it's from KORG, it's without digital control, and thus no MIDI control of parameters... pass!  8)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

dslsynth

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2016, 03:11:46 PM »
Well... if it's from KORG, it's without digital control, and thus no MIDI control of parameters... pass!  8)

Well they could have moved forward technology wise from where they are now. So I would not rule out full parameter control yet. Let them speak up and show their craft at gearmas.
#!/bin/sh

dslsynth

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2016, 03:15:51 PM »
I wanted a Prophet-5 ever since I was a teenager, but I'm too pragmatic to pay silly fetish prices, so in that sense the Prophet-6 is the perfect alternative for me.

I totally get that. Please do go ahead if you feel like it. ;) I am just saying that I would not do it myself because one never knows what shows up at gearmas and that could change the current plans. Plus that DSI are pretty unpredictable these years so I am ready for a GAS list changing surprise.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2016, 04:15:52 PM »
I wanted a Prophet-5 ever since I was a teenager, but I'm too pragmatic to pay silly fetish prices, so in that sense the Prophet-6 is the perfect alternative for me.

I totally get that. Please do go ahead if you feel like it. ;) I am just saying that I would not do it myself because one never knows what shows up at gearmas and that could change the current plans. Plus that DSI are pretty unpredictable these years so I am ready for a GAS list changing surprise.

Absolutely. I need to cover the basics first, though.  8)

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »
From a reliable source I've heard that the price of the Korg minilogue should be under $500 (so maybe $499). Also, they'll drop the prices for the Odyssey to $799.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:34:11 PM by Paul Dither »

eXode

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2016, 11:12:35 PM »
New image of the Minilogue from gs / the web

dslsynth

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2016, 04:56:10 AM »
Will be interesting to see if it have full MIDI support and presets or not. If it have it will be a machine that DSI simply cannot compete with on price only as Korg can produce a lot cheaper than DSI can. On the other hand there are more parameters than just price such as sounds and voice architecture features. Here DSI surely have an edge.

What I am trying to say is that such instruments may convince DSI to continue there current jewel path rather than trying to make more affordable instruments with a wider appeal. Which is unfortunate if that happens. Would be far nicer if DSI decided to make their jewel line but now and then make some more affordable goodie bits for those that want the DSI sound but cannot afford their top of the line instruments.

Its going to be an interesting NAMM show!
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2016, 05:15:05 AM »
Will be interesting to see if it have full MIDI support and presets or not. If it have it will be a machine that DSI simply cannot compete with on price only as Korg can produce a lot cheaper than DSI can. On the other hand there are more parameters than just price such as sounds and voice architecture features. Here DSI surely have an edge.

What I am trying to say is that such instruments may convince DSI to continue there current jewel path rather than trying to make more affordable instruments with a wider appeal. Which is unfortunate if that happens. Would be far nicer if DSI decided to make their jewel line but now and then make some more affordable goodie bits for those that want the DSI sound but cannot afford their top of the line instruments.

Its going to be an interesting NAMM show!

I actualy think that it will... at last! ... it has a display on it, and what good would that do, if it did not have any kind of digital connection with something?  ;) ... this is interresting now... and for about 500 US dollars, might be even more interresting.... just wish (as always), that it would be in a module version...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

dslsynth

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2016, 05:56:47 AM »
I actualy think that it will... at last! ... it has a display on it, and what good would that do, if it did not have any kind of digital connection with something?  ;) ... this is interresting now... and for about 500 US dollars, might be even more interresting.... just wish (as always), that it would be in a module version...

From various Dave Smith and Paul Maddox interviews/talks I remember them talking about the need for calibrating the analog electronics in each voice to make them sound similar. So my guess is that one cannot really make a well sounding analog poly without some kind of calibration which is best done in the digital domain these days. So why not add the software controlled wire pulling and MIDI preset control now they are at it?
#!/bin/sh

eXode

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2016, 07:06:00 AM »
Fwiw, the spec rumor concerning the Minilogue stated that it would have a 16 step sequencer with up to 4 recordable/automatable parameters.

Rough translation from various Russian webshops:
KORG Minilogue - is a fully programmable, 4-voice polyphonic synthesizer, is also equipped with built-in reverb and delay effects. KORG company offers the best way to get acquainted with a unique, stunning features of the analog synthesizer. Synthesizer has a unique analog engine, quick access to the 100 factory 100 user presets, 8 different voice modes to create its configuration of 4 notes - unison, polyphony, and so on. The front panel 41 of the controller to configure and quick change function, the oscilloscope in real time gives a visual check of sound, 16-step sequencer with automation polyphonic up to 4 parameters synthesizer and more.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2016, 02:50:54 PM »
New image of the Minilogue from gs / the web

I can't bear to look at yet another one of these.  If Korg produces a mini or slim key ARP 2600, I'll have to go on some sort of medication.

dslsynth

« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2016, 03:11:04 PM »
If Korg produces a mini or slim key ARP 2600, I'll have to go on some sort of medication.

Or wait for the glue-it-yourself limited edition module at some later point in time! ;)
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2016, 04:23:45 PM »
Oh yes, the "kit" version for nearly twice the price.  And who wouldn't enjoy assembling something so simple as a 2600?  I'm amazed that Korg has the audacity to actually charge its customers extra to finish their work.  It's no mystery what folks here would say if DSI tried the same trick with us.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:29:31 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
Oh yes, the "kit" for nearly twice the price.  And who wouldn't enjoy assembling something so simple as a 2600?

Exactly! While the classic 2600 is great I would rather like to see Korg make a modern digitally controlled machine with more complex modulations than the 2600 but with the same kind of analog electronics. Same old story, you know! ;)
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2016, 04:32:38 PM »
The ARP 2600 rumors in conjunction with the limited 3000 numbers turned out to be false. What will be limited to 3000 is the OK GO Volca Sample edition: