General NAMM 2016 Speculation

Re: General NAMM 2016 Speculation
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »
There have been recent rumors about a new polysynth that could possibly be introduced at the NAMM by Korg (or some other manufacturer between A and W) on GS:

I'll take whichever one has wooden end cheeks.  The rest is irrelevant.  :)

What? Even if it's supposed to be smaller than the Mopho X4?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2016, 03:39:27 PM »
Good point.  And I forgot about mini wooden end cheeks as well.

Okay, so my updated demands are wooden end cheeks and a full-sized five-octave keyboard.  Everything else is irrelevant.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 03:44:59 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2016, 03:42:45 PM »
And none of that pink and light blue panel stuff you were talking about earlier.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 03:45:31 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2016, 03:44:59 PM »
And none of that pink and light blue stuff you were talking about earlier.

Not even if it's made of wood?  ;)

In case this rumor is true, this instrument would not have a 5 octave keyboard, as that factor would make it bigger than the Mopho X4.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2016, 03:50:23 PM »
Pink and light blue wood?  Jeepers, then skip the wood and make the end cheeks styrofoam.  Now that looks good in pink and light blue.

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2016, 03:51:34 PM »
Pink and light blue wood?  Jeepers, then skip the wood and make the end cheeks styrofoam.  Now that looks good in pink and light blue.

I see where you're going here…

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2016, 04:40:40 PM »
I've been anticipating the Vermona 14 for a year now, and haven't been able to find too much information about it.  Today I read this on their website:

"Our 25-year-old company history, which is inseparably connected to the reintroduction of the brand VERMONA in 2001, we actually planned to celebrate with the launch of the ’14 Analog Synthesizer.

Shortly after we presented the first prototype at the NAMM Show in Anaheim, our dear friend, colleague and co-founder Bernd Haller passed away in February after a short period of disease. He left a big gap in our familiar manufactory.

Consequently, we couldn’t realize some projects as announced, among others the ’14 Analog Synthesizer. But, forbearance is not acquittance and so we are eager to delight you with new products next year.

In plain language: The first ’14 Analog synthesizers will be available coinciding with the 15th anniversary of VERMONA in 2016."
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 04:43:52 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2016, 05:33:18 PM »
I've been anticipating the Vermona 14 for a year now, and haven't been able to find too much information about it.  Today I read this on their website:

"Our 25-year-old company history, which is inseparably connected to the reintroduction of the brand VERMONA in 2001, we actually planned to celebrate with the launch of the ’14 Analog Synthesizer.

Shortly after we presented the first prototype at the NAMM Show in Anaheim, our dear friend, colleague and co-founder Bernd Haller passed away in February after a short period of disease. He left a big gap in our familiar manufactory.

Consequently, we couldn’t realize some projects as announced, among others the ’14 Analog Synthesizer. But, forbearance is not acquittance and so we are eager to delight you with new products next year.

In plain language: The first ’14 Analog synthesizers will be available coinciding with the 15th anniversary of VERMONA in 2016."

That's really sad. I didn't know about that. He already got sick in 2000, which is why the production for the infamous "Mephisto" had to be interrupted, which eventually never saw the light of the day apart from its prototype. It's good to hear that they are still working on it. I wish them luck.

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2016, 05:07:23 PM »
I'd be very interested in any Vermona instrument with a keyboard, though I'm sure it'll cost a bunch.  Judging from the MKII I have- it is built like a tank and sounds fabulous.   To get an ultimate sounding analog keyboard sounding instrument (that's new) is always a dream of mine.  The "new" Oberheim 4 voice had me thinking...but then I saw this Vermona protype "14" from Namm 2015 postings and it made me pause.  We'll see soon I guess :)
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2016, 06:10:52 AM »
I had been hoping for that Vermona 14, too.  Well, we won't have long to wait; they said some time in 2016.

I'm indulging in one vintage dream.  I'd like to own just one iconic synthesizer, something really classic but brand new.  I'm hoping NAMM 2016 will be the year for such dreams.  I'm content with the polyphonic portion of my set up; the Poly Evolvers and Prophet 08s are superb for my needs.   But I'd like one mono synth in the classic old school style: three VCOs, a thick raw analog sound, a raised control panel, mono-timbral, and no memory.  Forget all the fancy features, violate the technological correctness, and just go with strong fundamentals and a simple classic warm rich sound.  This means perhaps a new Minimoog Model D, or much more preferably a Korg/Arp 2600, or possibly a new Sequential instrument.  My only stipulations are stable oscillators, a full-sized 44+ note keyboard, and hopefully MIDI Out.

Designing sounds without having saved programs to fall back on makes a different sort of synthesist out of you, and it also effects the types of sounds you use.  I noticed when I had the Voyager Old School that the sounds I designed were few in number, and therefore, had to be far more useful in different musical contexts. I liked that effect, as opposed to having many and diverse sounds saved, and often jumping from one to the next.  That may be fun and even impressive, but I don't care for it in the end.  There's a monotony in constant variety; I find it wearisome and musically distracting.  I prefer to work with a small number of fine and flexible musical tones and to become skilled at setting up those sounds quickly from scratch.  So, I'd actually be happy to have one instrument without any memory.

Then there's the control panel.  I've always liked the Minimoog panel design - upright and moveable.  It makes programming so convenient for the eyes, where as, a flat panel causes you to somewhat strain and even lean forward a bit.  Modular synthesists have it made.  So, I also like the ARP 2600 design, with the controls up higher at eye level, looking straight at you.  Additionally, I've found that this is the sort of synthesizer I'm most likely to tweak, whether there's a lot of time available or only a little.  It's inviting to see the controls conveniently positioned and ready to be used, without any need for scrolling through menus, referring to digits in a window, or tracing a matrix for a parameter.  It's more immediate and satisfying, and I'm more likely to go deeply into designing sounds because the whole process is easier and more immediate and satisfying.

If NAMM 2016 doesn't produce any new opportunities for old schoolers like myself, I'll make due with what's available.  But I'd love to have just one such instrument, and one that I could also build up with modules over time in sort of an on-going project.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 12:30:34 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

eXode

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2016, 11:38:22 AM »
This means perhaps a new Minimoog Model D, a Korg/Arp 2600, or possibly a new Sequential instrument.  My only stipulations are stable oscillators and a full-sized 44+ note keyboard.

If I were to speculate, I would be quite surprised if Moog doesn't present something new that's harking to something like a minimoog. Imho the Voyager was quite a big leap in price from the excellent Sub 37, esp if you start to compare features. Therefore it would only seem natural to me that Moog present something that expands on the Sub Phatty and Sub 37 legacy. Another possibility is that we'll see some sort of re-issue of the original minimoog (Model D). The big question is if they'll do a modern take on the minimoog at a sensible price step from the Sub 37, or if they're doing an expensive boutique remake of the original minimoog a'la the modular systems. Or perhaps they are doing both. :)

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2016, 11:29:10 AM »
Just in:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BASC-t1LM3T/

Unfortunately, it seems to have minikeys so that's a 'not interested' from my side.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:43:59 AM by Paul Dither »

dslsynth

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2016, 11:48:28 AM »
Wonder how it sounds given that its a minilouge rather than an analogue. . o O ( :o )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

eXode

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2016, 11:52:13 AM »
Unfortunately, it seems to have minikeys so that's a 'not interested' from my side.

It's actually more likely to have slimkeys, like the MS20mini and the new ARP Odyssey. Still not great but it's a lesser evil than minikeys if you ask me. :)

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »

It's actually more likely to have slimkeys, like the MS20mini and the new ARP Odyssey. Still not great but it's a lesser evil than minikeys if you ask me. :)

Right, it's the same keyboard that has been used on these. Still a bit off turning on a polysynth. Otherwise, the features look nice. I just don't get their priorities. It includes an inbuilt oscilloscope,* but no proper keys. Why not doing a desktop module instead?

* https://www.instagram.com/p/BASbFpIM9py/

- grumpy old man mode off -

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2016, 12:05:56 PM »
Among all the other swirling rumors, I came across one claiming Roland would re-issue their System-100.  If they meant all three pieces, that could be very interesting.

More exciting than that, I've been told we can count on some forthcoming hints on the new DSI piece, in old forum tradition.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:07:30 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2016, 12:08:09 PM »
Among all the other swirling rumors, I came across one claiming Roland would re-issue their System-100.

More exciting than that, I've been told we can count on some forthcoming hints on the new DSI piece.

System-100? No way. Maybe as a plug-out. I'm ready for hints, but they won't hinder me in ordering a P6 soon.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2016, 12:10:03 PM »
Sounds like you've met the right synthesizer! 

eXode

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2016, 12:13:54 PM »

Right, it's the same keyboard that has been used on these. Still a bit off turning on a polysynth. Otherwise, the features look nice. I just don't get their priorities. It includes an inbuilt oscilloscope,* but no proper keys. Why not doing a desktop module instead?

* https://www.instagram.com/p/BASbFpIM9py/

- grumpy old man mode off -

Yeah I would have loved a desktop with poly-chain. Esp if the rumored price of ~$500 USD is accurate.

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2016, 12:17:10 PM »
Sounds like you've met the right synthesizer!

Maybe the right two. If I didn't own a Pro 2, this would be more difficult.