General NAMM 2016 Speculation

Re: General NAMM 2016 Speculation
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 04:32:57 PM »
Haha…

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 04:43:48 PM »
I just had to add an image to this discussion.  Tell me this doesn't make your little synthesists' hearts get all mushy.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 04:55:01 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 05:10:40 PM »
I wouldn't say no to that one. In fact, I always found the 2600 more interesting and appealing than the Minimoog. Still curious whether Korg would really go there. From what I've heard in the retail business, the Odyssey is far from being a top seller. Korg even thought about lowering its price soon. The MS-20 Kit as well as the MS-20 desktop version are also still available although both are limited too.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2015, 06:08:48 PM »
Any interesting information here, Paul the translator?

http://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/viewtopic.php?t=108892

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2015, 06:19:40 PM »
It's all back and forth speculation. Some say "bollocks" or wishful thinking, others say it might be true. One thing I found indeed a bit strange - and that is mentioned in this German thread as well - is that it says "Musikmesse" in the original message, whatever the latter might mean when it comes to internet rumors. But Musikmesse Frankfurt doesn't take place before April. With regard to the date the message should have said "NAMM" instead. So that makes this source suspicious. The thread you're referring to basically ends with the joke "it doesn't sound as good as the original."

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 06:28:21 PM »
Well that helps to confuse things.  I guess we'll know only when Korg makes an announcement.  Then again, Matrixsynth is usually pretty reliable.

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2015, 06:50:32 PM »
Well that helps to confuse things.  I guess we'll know only when Korg makes an announcement.  Then again, Matrixsynth is usually pretty reliable.

Usually, yes. But on the other hand this rumor is in itself nothing new. It has been around since summer at the latest - not even counting in the wishful thinking about this, which started around the last NAMM. As Korg seems to have revived the brand ARP - at least that's the impression one gets when you visit the corresponding site -, it would seem possible.

On the other hand, and as I said above, the Odyssey isn't selling too well. All of its limited versions (Mk I and II) are still available. A nearby store hasn't sold any since late summer and even at the Guitar Center here they collect dust. I think they are priced slightly too high. $799 would have been perfect, without the case I'd say $699 - at least for the shrunken version it is.

Now, if they would rebuild the 2600, what would a realistic price be? The full sized MS-20 kit was $1,499. So I would somehow assume something like $1,999 for a full sized version. But at that price point we could all relax, lean back in our chairs, and wait for the Black Friday deals next year as such a synth wouldn't fly off the shelves. It would neither be an impulse buy, nor be exceptionally attractive for musicians who start getting into analog synthesis. Also, think about what else you could get at that price point. But even a mini version for about $999 to $1,299 wouldn't sell out in a couple of months. I just can't see that happening. And that's where I start to doubt such a project simply in terms of business decisions.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:03:39 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2015, 07:01:10 PM »
Plus: Korg would have to do much better PR work. Especially their NAMM presentation this year was lacklustre. I couldn't have thought of a worse way to present the Odyssey. And they even had Cory Henry to demonstrate it, but somehow they even managed to mess that up. They basically presented it as one thing amongst others after (hundreds of felt) hours of Jordan Rudess noodling on the Kronos. This time, they would have to get at least Alan R. Pearlman himself and people like Daniel Miller and Vince Clarke.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2015, 08:12:22 PM »
A full-sized Arp 2600 for $2,000 would be a steal.  I would buy it in a minute for that price.  My expectation would be that it would be substantially more than that - more like $2,600 ;D.  There's a lot more to this instrument than there is to an Odyssey or a Model D.  The Voyagers were about $3,000.

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2015, 08:59:32 PM »
A full-sized Arp 2600 for $2,000 would be a steal.  I would buy it in a minute for that price.  My expectation would be that it would be substantially more than that - more like $2,600 ;D.  There's a lot more to this instrument than there is to an Odyssey or a Model D.  The Voyagers were about $3,000.

Sure, I may have been too optimistic. But the more expensive it gets, the less likely it is for Korg to go down this route. Doing analog stuff hasn't yet reached the level of their more mainstream-like products, like the Kronos, etc. And most of their analog instruments are basically reissues, apart from the Volca series, the Monotrons, and Monotribe with most of them being solutions for either beginning musicians or such that are on a tight budget.

Beyond all of that speculation it would be interesting to see whether Korg would do something that is similar to what Roland did with the JD-XA. Not necessarily a direct competitor, but something that goes beyond sheer reissues and offers a newly designed architecture.

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2015, 10:50:11 PM »
The 2600 is one synth where making it smaller would be a great idea, the originals are pretty big.

As the keyboard is separate then the keyboard could be any size, dare I say it even full-size and hopefully sold as an 'extra' to keep the price of the main unit down.

I hope it will be under the $3000 mark though, the TTSH clone is $3400 to $3800 (plus another $250 for midi) http://sanpedrolabs.com/?product=ttsh-arp-2600-clone-standard-case so you would hope that Korg could do it cheaper than this.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 10:53:35 PM by BobTheDog »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2015, 03:51:12 AM »
It's nice that KORG make analog gear again, but I honestly have to say, that they need to go in a direction more modern for me to have any interrest in their analog products... they have still not produced anything with MIDI control and memory for presets... this area still seems to be occupied only by DSI, MOOG and Waldorf plus a handful of smaller companies.

I'm aware that it would be meaningless to try to put memory and MIDI control in an ARP 2600, as it's semimodular, but I'd really like to see KORG go a bit more modern on this...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

dslsynth

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2015, 01:12:55 PM »
I have to agree with Razmo that we need Korg to step into the future and make quality analog instruments that are not just replica of older instruments but new ones with useful voice architecture design ideas and great digital control. Seems like they are not brave enough to do that yet. But if they did that could give generate a little competition for DSI which could turn into more resources for software maintenance which would be a very good thing for DSI customers.

One thought: could we imagine DSI doing a small voice count machine with some sort of paraphonic support so that it would be a perfect stringer? That would be fun! Or?

Anyway: DSI are up for their jewel exam this NAMM show! If its an expensive machine again its going to look like that is the only thing they aim for. If its a more affordable machine then things look more promising from my point of view.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2015, 02:33:10 PM »
A polysynth from KORG, analog, with either MS20 or ARP filter... plus 100% MIDI control and memory... I'd be all over it in an instant.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2015, 06:06:10 PM »
There's a lengthy discussion on this topic on Vintage Synth Explorer.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80404

One suggestion that didn't occur to me is the possibility that this new limited edition instrument might be a full-sized Odyssey.  That would be most welcome news to me, but I sure hope it isn't a kit! 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:08:34 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2016, 01:19:26 PM »
A polysynth from KORG, analog, with either MS20 or ARP filter... plus 100% MIDI control and memory... I'd be all over it in an instant.

There have been recent rumors about a new polysynth that could possibly be introduced at the NAMM by Korg (or some other manufacturer between A and W) on GS:

- Polyphonic analog synth
- Big sound
- Memory
- Step sequencer with motion recording (I think) / Arp
- Affordable
- Multiple VCO interactions
- A filter that can toggle between 2 and 4 pole operation
- Nice modulation routings
- Interesting mono modes that use the extra voices creatively (unison with detune, multiple sub-oscillators, chord mode...)
- 2,8 kg
- Has a keyboard
- More compact than a Mopho X4
- Plenty of knobs that aren't tightly squeezed together (metal-shaft too)
- Small screen
- Aluminium faceplate
- Not by Arturia
- By a manufacturer somewhere between Arturia and Waldorf, alphabetically speaking.

The above list is adapted from a series of teasing posts by audiofanzine's (French website) main synth reviewer, who seems to have something quite interesting in his hands that should show up at NAMM.

Source: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/1042026-namm-2016-your-predictions-rumors-desires.html

dslsynth

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2016, 01:54:10 PM »
There have been recent rumors about a new polysynth that could possibly be introduced at the NAMM by Korg (or some other manufacturer between A and W) on GS:

Real competition for DSI with an affordable analog polysynth? That is going to be interesting to follow. Looking forward to see how sexy the modulations on the new instrument will be. If its the usual one or two lfos and two envelopes then I doubt it will affect DSI's market very much.

If it on the other hand provide Prophet-6 class sound, have more modulation options on par with DSI classic instruments and are a lot cheaper then we are in for an interesting product match on the synth market especially if they make timely updates to their OS.

The Battle Of The Giants (TM) are going to be very interesting to watch on the next Noisefest (aka gearmas aka NAMM).

Will be interesting to see what DSI comes up with and how its received!

Oh and how Dave reacts to this! ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 02:01:32 PM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2016, 02:01:46 PM »
Oh and how Dave reacts to this! ;)

With a moustache, an anglo style, or a full beard…

dslsynth

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2016, 02:03:41 PM »
:-X . o O ( beardmas )
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2016, 03:18:54 PM »

I'll take whichever one has wooden end cheeks.  Whatever's in between them is irrelevant.  :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 03:22:02 PM by Sacred Synthesis »