General NAMM 2016 Speculation

General NAMM 2016 Speculation
« on: November 19, 2015, 07:32:55 AM »
Ignoring everything stated here before, I have some predictions:
- A new analog poly (4-6 voices) with an accessible price, non-DSI stuff;
- Few mini-keys cheap synths, since they sell a lot;
- Some updates for newer machines, with great new features;
- Maybe a Virus TI3, just maybe;
- New series of Volca instruments, covering some other ground, maybe with 32 step seq;
- A lot of software;
- A few very expensive toys that no one will ever buy, or never go to production;
- A lot of cheap unusable stuff, as aways.
Moog Minimoog Voyager, Little Phatty and Sub Phatty| MI Ambika | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm

Re: General NAMM 2016 Speculation
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 02:56:24 PM »
I've read today that Korg is going to reproduce a limited run of the 2600.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 02:58:47 PM »

Paul, you're not trying to torture me, are you? 

Okay...and here it goes.  Um...and the key size?  Please, no....
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 03:02:28 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 03:01:29 PM »

Paul, you're not trying to torture me, are you? 

Okay...and here it goes.  Um...and the key size?  Please, no....

Always, Tim, always…  ;D

Just read it on Matrixsynth. It's only a rumor. But I remember a while back - probably last summer - Korg placed a teaser pic online that was indicating a limited edition of something. The production run was supposed to be 3000. And that number reappeared in the rumor.

Voilą: http://www.matrixsynth.com/2015/12/and-first-namm-rumor-for-2016-is.html

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 03:03:45 PM »
And this was the pic back in the day:

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 03:04:32 PM »
Has anyone heard rumors about the key size?

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 03:06:30 PM »
Nah, not yet. Although in this case I would maybe not care so much. Well, it depends on the price. But I assume they didn't revive ARP for only one instrument, i.e. the Odyssey.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 03:13:32 PM »
The Odyssey was my favorite synthesizer that I did own; the 2600 was my favorite synthesizer that I never owned.  If it's a full-sized reproduction, I would expect it to cost around $3,000.  But it sure would be exciting to have it available again.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 03:15:07 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 03:14:02 PM »
How about a picture - something subtle, like this?

Its a pretty darn powerful lowpass filter that it affects the sound as well as the visuals! Me impressed! ;D

A Space Odyssey?

Given the proposed key size it gotta be an Oddity! ;)
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

dslsynth

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 03:17:41 PM »
the 2600 was my favorite synthesizer that I never owned.

Ever heard of the TTSH project? I know someone who got one he glued together himself. It looks great and the sound should be really good. Plus that its discrete electronics all the way. And you love that soldering iron, eh!? ;)
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 03:18:58 PM »
Given the proposed key size it gotta be an Oddity! ;)

David Bowie signature series?

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 03:20:56 PM »
the 2600 was my favorite synthesizer that I never owned.

Ever heard of the TTSH project? I know someone who got one he glued together himself. It looks great and the sound should be really good. Plus that its discrete electronics all the way. And you love that soldering iron, eh!? ;)

Yeah, although not everybody was convinced by it as I've heard. Either way, it was definitely not on the affordable side.

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 03:24:15 PM »
The Odyssey was my favorite synthesizer that I did own; the 2600 was my favorite synthesizer that I never owned.  If it's a full-sized reproduction, I would expect it to cost around $3,000.  But it sure would be exciting to have it available again.

I've played with Korg's Odyssey quite a few times. It does sound really good. I would definitely prefer full sized keys though. The panel itself is not too small. Other than that it's a nice package including the case, which is pretty sturdy.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 05:02:22 PM »
Paul, you've asked me before what I'm looking for in a mono synth.  Well, you've heard it yourself: that Arp sound is what I'm after.

One thing about the mini keys issue.  If the keys are narrower, then obviously the whole keyboard will be narrower.  That means the instrument's control panel will be smaller as well, and that's a drawback for certain.  If there's one thing I miss about older synthesizers, it's their nice roomy control panels.  Again, an Odyssey would be a good example.  Relative to modern instruments, the Odyssey's panel stretched back quite a bit.  It gave you plenty of visual space and room for your hands to move about as you tweaked.  That's one more reason I'd like to have just one of these re-issues, preferably a mono synth.

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 05:14:32 PM »
Paul, you've asked me before what I'm looking for in a mono synth.  Well, you've heard it yourself: that Arp sound is what I'm after.

One thing about the mini keys issue.  If the keys are narrower, then obviously the whole keyboard will be narrower.  That means the instrument's control panel will be smaller as well, and that's a drawback for certain.  If there's one thing I miss about older synthesizers, it's their nice roomy control panels.  Again, an Odyssey would be a good example.  Relative to modern instruments, the Odyssey's panel stretched back quite a bit.  It gave you plenty of visual space and room for your hands to move about as you tweaked.  That's one more reason I'd like to have just one of these re-issues, preferably a mono synth.

Yeah, I know. I just meant that the shrunken control panel of the Odyssey is not quite a bummer as it's still pretty roomy. It doesn't feel as if everything's too narrow and the sliders don't allow for enough space. An absolute no-go in terms of user interface are the Roland Boutique and Yamaha Reface instruments if you ask me.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 05:46:19 PM »
Anyways, after the Odyssey disappointment, I've got a thicker skin and wouldn't be too upset if the 2600 got the same 86%treatment.  It would be a dream come true to have a full-sized 2600, but I'm not anticipating such things any longer.  I always end up coming back to DSI where such things are unthinkable.

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 02:52:09 AM »
I would order the Korg 2600 immediately, I have a mate with the original and it's fantastic.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »
I would order the Korg 2600 immediately, I have a mate with the original and it's fantastic.

Of all monophonic synthesizers of all time, I would call the Arp 2600 my very favorite.  I've never played one; I've never even seen one in person.  But the sounds and music made with that instrument always thrilled me.  I liked the Arp sound even more than that of the Model D.  Years ago, I owned the Pro Soloist, Axxe, all three Odyssey models, and the Little Brother.  Plus, a full four-octave keyboard is just perfect for melody playing.  However, I would first wait to see what sort of job Korg does with it. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 04:39:32 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 03:24:51 PM »
As long as a shirt isn't needed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjFqfIo7nkI

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 04:32:07 PM »
See, Paul, you don't understand the power of the 2600.  When that guy started playing, he had a shirt on, but in no time, the 2600 blew it right off.  In the end of the video, you can see that even his socks are missing.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 04:35:49 PM by Sacred Synthesis »