Prophet REV2 editor VST

Kusho

Re: Prophet REV2 editor VST
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2022, 10:58:10 PM »
I can't find where to enter the registration information? There's no link in the VST software. And no panel in the software I can find.

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious!

Okay, I had to uninstall the demo version first, then install full version. I didn't see instructions anywhere that said that.

Kusho

« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2022, 01:55:29 AM »
The Rev2 editor VST is going well, thanks.
I have a question. When I newly add the editor VST to my DAW session, the Rev2 synth goes to U1P1 and I lose the program I was working with. Can I change a setting in the VST so this doesn't happen?
The VST when newly added to a track in the DAW should adopt the program currently in the synth, not the other way around?

When I save the VST in a DAW project and reload the DAW project later, the synth receives the program that was saved to the VST. This is what I would expect and is a great feature. But when the VST is unsaved I don't think it should be sending programs to the synth without asking? This has tripped me up a few times.

« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2022, 10:47:50 AM »
Not aware of a fix for this. Maybe someone else can chime in. However, this got me once as well. Fortunately the knobs on the HW were still in the positions I left them in so I was able to get back 95% of the sound I had before launching the DAW. Just had to redo the mod matrix stuff and the misc parameters and I was 99.9% there. I like to manually zero out everything on the synth before starting a new patch so it was pretty easy. So next time, hope there isn't one, you may be able to get the sound back if you haven't changed the knobs' positions.

Hope this helps!

I have a question. When I newly add the editor VST to my DAW session, the Rev2 synth goes to U1P1 and I lose the program I was working with. Can I change a setting in the VST so this doesn't happen?
The VST when newly added to a track in the DAW should adopt the program currently in the synth, not the other way around?

When I save the VST in a DAW project and reload the DAW project later, the synth receives the program that was saved to the VST. This is what I would expect and is a great feature. But when the VST is unsaved I don't think it should be sending programs to the synth without asking? This has tripped me up a few times.

Kusho

« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2022, 01:40:13 AM »
I found in preferences under "General Settings" -> 'Keep Program on Start'
This keeps the program that is currently in the Rev2 hardware when the plugin is first added to the track. But when loading a saved DAW project it loads the saved program from the plugin into the Rev2.
This is good.

But the weird thing is, the program is saved in the plugin without reference to bank and program number. I guess because program locations might change between a DAW project being saved and loaded.
So even if I keep program on start, I still don't know the program number and bank number it is stored at. I guess this is just a different way of working and I should consider the program management to be happening in the plugin when using the plugin. But sometimes I like to save program variations in nearby bank slots, so this is a slight hiccup. I wonder what soundtower is like in this respect?

Not aware of a fix for this. Maybe someone else can chime in. However, this got me once as well. Fortunately the knobs on the HW were still in the positions I left them in so I was able to get back 95% of the sound I had before launching the DAW. Just had to redo the mod matrix stuff and the misc parameters and I was 99.9% there. I like to manually zero out everything on the synth before starting a new patch so it was pretty easy. So next time, hope there isn't one, you may be able to get the sound back if you haven't changed the knobs' positions.

Hope this helps!

« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2022, 12:36:32 PM »
Good find on the "Keep Program on Start" preference setting! I think I need to update Codeknobs. Sorry about that. I try to keep Bank U4 free for saving spontaneous patches. I back it up on a regular basis and I have gotten into the habit of saving to the hardware first for any patch that happens outside of the DAW. This has kept me free from experiencing this issue.

I use the stand alone SoundTower editor for the OB-6 so I can't comment on it's behavior when launching the DAW.

« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2022, 08:36:22 AM »
Hey everyone!

This is my first post here on the forum, I've been browsing for a while (since I bought my synth) but have come across a question that I can't seem to find an answer to via searching. So I figured I would ask!

I have a Prophet Rev2 16-voice, and I just got the Codeknobs Rev2 Editor a couple weeks ago. I am loving it so far, particularly the editing capabilities of the gated sequencer on there. I am using Rev2 Editor as a VST in Ableton Suite 9. The problem I am having relates to sending MIDI data (piano roll) to my Rev2 and using the Rev2 Editor at the same time.

When using the Rev2 Editor, I have to disable my MIDI in/out in Ableton's settings for my interface (Motu M4). This leaves me unable to send note data to automate my Rev2, since the MIDI has to be disabled. Is there a way to have my external instrument in Ableton sending MIDI data to my Rev2, and have the Rev2 Editor open at the same time? Or am I always going to have to keep switching between the two by enabling/disabling my MIDI in/out for my interface?

This is really a simple problem, and I am sure there's a simple solution that I'm overlooking. Anyone have a solution to this?

Thank you!

EDIT: Well, it looks like I didn't do thorough enough research. The answer to my question is inside this very thread - seems I should try using loopMIDI software for virtual MIDI ports. I will give this a try!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 08:59:32 AM by Frisbeehead3 »

« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2022, 08:19:28 AM »
With MIO MIDI interfaces, you can route multiple ports to the same device, which allows a DAW and Editor to work simultaneously.  In the vid, I show with Soundtower, but the same works with Codeknobs or other editor interfaces.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqapYg5bgmU

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

Kusho

« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2022, 05:25:27 AM »
I seem to have found a problem with how the VST handles tempo changes in a Reaper session?

When the tempo change in a session goes to double speed, the VST plays notes at a fixed rate, which seems to be some kind of tempo beat limit.
And the notes build up, so after the session stops playing the VST (or the Synth) keeps playing the notes it received but at a fixed rate which is slower than those midi notes were sent.
Removing the VST and just sending midi direct to the Synth works fine.

Let me know if you want some more info. It's a bit difficult to use the VST in this situation. So i'm just going back to normal MIDI and have removed the Rev2 VST which is my workaround

Kusho

« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2022, 05:06:16 AM »
Anyone else have problems with tempo changes mid-way through a DAW session?

This is really messed up, not good.

Kusho

« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2022, 03:11:53 AM »
You don't need loopMIDI, just set the preferences in the VST: output port - Rev2, and put the midi notes you're sending to the Rev2 on the midi track with the Codeknobs VST. The VST sends the notes to the Rev2 via USB

Hey everyone!

This is my first post here on the forum, I've been browsing for a while (since I bought my synth) but have come across a question that I can't seem to find an answer to via searching. So I figured I would ask!

I have a Prophet Rev2 16-voice, and I just got the Codeknobs Rev2 Editor a couple weeks ago. I am loving it so far, particularly the editing capabilities of the gated sequencer on there. I am using Rev2 Editor as a VST in Ableton Suite 9. The problem I am having relates to sending MIDI data (piano roll) to my Rev2 and using the Rev2 Editor at the same time.

When using the Rev2 Editor, I have to disable my MIDI in/out in Ableton's settings for my interface (Motu M4). This leaves me unable to send note data to automate my Rev2, since the MIDI has to be disabled. Is there a way to have my external instrument in Ableton sending MIDI data to my Rev2, and have the Rev2 Editor open at the same time? Or am I always going to have to keep switching between the two by enabling/disabling my MIDI in/out for my interface?

This is really a simple problem, and I am sure there's a simple solution that I'm overlooking. Anyone have a solution to this?

Thank you!

EDIT: Well, it looks like I didn't do thorough enough research. The answer to my question is inside this very thread - seems I should try using loopMIDI software for virtual MIDI ports. I will give this a try!

Kusho

« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2022, 06:04:39 PM »
Okay so there seems to be no support for the Codeknobs editor even though I paid good money for it. And the multiple instances of VST in a DAW don't work (only one instance makes a sound, activating the other instance doesn't make that instance trigger the synth). So it's pretty useless for my needs and I need to ask for my money back.

I suggest to anyone else considering getting the Codeknobs vst, don't.
Just get the Soundtower application.

LPF83

« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2022, 04:21:45 AM »
Okay so there seems to be no support for the Codeknobs editor even though I paid good money for it. And the multiple instances of VST in a DAW don't work (only one instance makes a sound, activating the other instance doesn't make that instance trigger the synth). So it's pretty useless for my needs and I need to ask for my money back.

I found both editors to be worth the purchase based on my own expectations.  I wouldn't want two instances of a VST controlling a hardware synth because it would imply that switching between them would potentially overwrite (either manually or automatically) whatever patch changes were on the synth itself every time the plugin syncs with the synth, which would be frustrating.   Unless in the case of the Rev2 it was somehow set up so that two instances total were supported that could connect to the synth in multi mode and treat each instance as a completely separate synth, which would be useful in some ways but I've never seen a multi timbral synth editor offer that.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Kusho

« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2022, 05:27:23 PM »

I found both editors to be worth the purchase based on my own expectations.  I wouldn't want two instances of a VST controlling a hardware synth because it would imply that switching between them would potentially overwrite (either manually or automatically) whatever patch changes were on the synth itself every time the plugin syncs with the synth, which would be frustrating.   Unless in the case of the Rev2 it was somehow set up so that two instances total were supported that could connect to the synth in multi mode and treat each instance as a completely separate synth, which would be useful in some ways but I've never seen a multi timbral synth editor offer that.

Well multiple instances is how the Codeknobs VST editor is designed and it's one of the reasons I bought it. But sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The design is that when activating one instance the other one is deactivated. It's not two instances acting simultaneously.

And the VST doesn't save anything on the hardware synth unless you go into "program -> save to device".
Whenever a DAW project with a saved patch in the VST is opened it "opens" that patch in the hardware synth, but it's not saved to the hardware. It's just the current 'active' patch, only saved in the VST.

« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2022, 09:54:22 AM »
Hi!

I just noticed that the codeknobs editor does not seem to send any parameter changes anymore to my REV2 when used in Logic Pro and when I turn a physical knob on the synth.

I have set up both the REV2 and the editor software according to the setup instructions and disabled the Rev2 midi port in Logic and instead enabled the ProhetREV2Editor_AUX midi port.

If I turn a knob with the mouse in the software editor, for instance the cutoff, then the sound is altered in the synth, but if I turn the physical knob on the synth, then I can only see the knob turning in the editor, but the sound is not altered. So the editor does only seem to recieve parameter changes from the synth, but not send them out.

This has worked fine before, so it's strange it suddenly stopped working. Any suggestions what the problem might be?

Did you sort out this issue? if so, how'd you do it?

Yes, it works again now. I think the solution was that I turned on "Local Control Support" in the preferences in the plugin editor.

« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2022, 03:18:16 PM »
Hey all -- I've recently moved to Cubase 12 Pro and I went to get this VST + my Rev2 all setup and am bumping into all kinds of trouble. I want to be able to do the following:

Edit patches from the DAW
Record MIDI
Monitor audio output from the synth
Use the Synth as a midi controller for softsynths

How do I accomplish this? Is it necessary to get a midi interface to do this properly?

Currently I have the VST loaded and when I turn knobs on the physical synth, I see those changes occur in the VST. But I do not appear to have the ability to record midi or playback midi I pencil into the DAW.

For kicks I went over to Ableton and tried the aforementioned setup consisting of LoopMIDI, MIDI+USB in the synth. That allows me to record/playback midi while monitoring the audio while being able to make adjustments to the synth from the VST -- but if I pop over to another VST and try to use this synth as a midi controller it hoses everything on whatever patch I had up on the synth.

Is this even possible with this software? I'm beginning to think my ask is too much and am considering buying a separate keyboard to by my main midi controller and buy then the aforementioned MIDI interface (Mio X10). I've spent 2 days trying to iron this out with no luck in satisfying all my requirements. Any thoughts?

« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2023, 01:38:50 PM »

Never got it to work on my set up. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20/Cubase 12. You're right: zero support. Fortunately I only got the trial version. Very disappointing.

« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2023, 02:12:19 PM »
I emailed Alex about this but still haven't heard back--I'm having an issue where the program picker drop down doesn't change program in Live 11

Basically, when I tap on the dropdown menu from the programs page, instead of changing to that patch, it gets overwritten with whatever patch is currently loaded.

Can anyone help? I'm not sure how to attach images but I have screenshots as well.

In summary: what I want to do is browse / audition the different patches on my synth quickly. Is this a bug that the dropdown gets overwritten? And how do I correctly configure this dropdown to be useful instead of it getting overwritten?

« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2023, 04:08:38 PM »
I emailed Alex about this but still haven't heard back--

Facebook page activity - last post was an RIP to Dave last year. Twitter page is gone.

Anyone heard from CodeKnobs in a while?

I'm demoing it and love it but now I'm sadly thinking Soundtower is the only option out there now?

On Mac M1

« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2023, 10:12:02 AM »
I really am pissed about Codeknobs. I paid good money for the Synthet Editor but no support at all. Should have read this thread befor my purchase. No questions answered, no manual. Buy it and you will be left alone with what you bought... never experienced anything like this with any software purchase.

Facebook page activity - last post was an RIP to Dave last year. Twitter page is gone.

I'm demoing it and love it but now I'm sadly thinking Soundtower is the only option out there now?

On Mac M1

Kusho

« Reply #159 on: January 07, 2024, 07:55:06 PM »
Yeah I think we should be warning people not to buy the codeknobs editor at this stage.

I really am pissed about Codeknobs. I paid good money for the Synthet Editor but no support at all. Should have read this thread befor my purchase. No questions answered, no manual. Buy it and you will be left alone with what you bought... never experienced anything like this with any software purchase.

On Mac M1