Prophet REV2 editor VST

Re: Prophet REV2 editor VST
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2020, 11:48:03 AM »
Hi, figured I'd post a situation I dealt with just in case it's bothering anybody else.  I know some people mentioned some kind of MIDI issues.

The instructions on CodeKnobs website for setting up the Rev 2 include these two steps

•MIDI Param Send to NPRN
•MIDI Param Receive to NPRN

This however also enables some MIDI CC mappings built into the rev 2, such as CC 20 = osc 1 pitch.  This was pissing me off because certain faders/knobs on my MIDI controller were effecting my rev 2 patches.  Given the understanding that these settings MUST be set to NPRN per CodeKnobs guide, it seems I'd have to find enough CC values that were undefined by MIDI standard + the rev2, to set my knobs/faders to on my keyboard... this leaves very few values since the rev2 takes advantage of undefined CC values.

I have found that setting "MIDI Param Receive" on the rev 2 to OFF, and setting "Param Receive All" unchecked in the CodeKnobs VST settings menu, that you can still successfully send/receive programs and have the VST and Rev2 knobs be in sync, without arbitrary CC values effecting your patches.  I'm not sure what setting Param Receive to NPRN/checked is supposed to accomplish, but since it is defined in the guide I'm assuming there is some functionality I'm missing here that I haven't noticed.  Please let me know the purpose of Param Receive within this context if you know.

Anyway, this software is really changing the game on connecting my rev 2 into ableton.  I also have the SoundTower software and the CodeKnobs one is much much much cleaner/easier/intuitive, not to mention it's half the price.  The fact that I can create 5 tracks in ableton with this VST, and each be a separate instance that I can go back/forth between without even touching any kind of patch saving on the rev 2 or editor is amazing, and now I can now save patches as an ableton instrument.  As far as I can tell the only feature SoundTower has over it is the patch morphing thing, but that's not something I care about.  I really hope that this software continues to work through whatever wrenches MacOS or Ableton updates might throw at it.  Thanks a lot for your work developing this.
Thank you for positive review! Btw codeknobs editor aslo have morphing feature and another one for random generation.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:52:32 AM by codeKnobs »

« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2020, 11:52:01 AM »
Hi All,

I just wanted to share my experience with this very interesting plugin and hope to find some help/suggestion since my first try was close to a disaster (-;
I am using my Prophet Rev 2 in conjunction with Reason 9.5 on a PC running Windows 7 64 and an old Tascam US 322 with no MIDI connections. (changed later with a Scarlet Focusrite 18i8)

1st attempt with the Tascam US 322 and usb connection (+Midiloop for the virtual port):
All when quite good, following the instruction on setting up both the Rev 2 and the vst.
The problem I have is related to hanging notes, as soon as I use after touch or wheels (pitch and mod)...plus some missing notes here and there.
In few cases, when scrolling the programs knob on the synth, I loose the connection with the vst and need to drag again the vst into the Reason Rack and re-activate.
I started to think that maybe the problem could be related to the usb connection and the lack of a proper MIDI interface.

I then connected my new Scarlet 18i8 with MIDI cables and tried again...seems like worst.
Here are the setting on my Prophet:

3. MIDI channel 1
4. MIDI clock mode OFF
5. MIDI clock cable MIDI
6. MIDI param send NRPN
7. MIDI param rcv NRPN
8. MIDI control ON
9. MIDI program ENABLE
10.MIDI program send ON
11. MIDI sysex cable MIDI
12. MIDI out select MIDI
15. Multimode OFF
16. Local control OFF

I also attach the following:

- Codeknobs preferences
- Midiloop port setting
- Reason control surface

I could not even play any notes on the Rev 2, scrolling programs would cause the Rev 2 to freeze and then play random notes all together...and most of the time a pop up message on screen telling the computer is not fast enough to process all MIDI data (i7 3770k cpu)
If I use the MIDI device inside Reason and forget about the vst editor, everything working great...but of course no editor, no librarian and no full interaction between the Rev 2 and Reason...which was the main idea to implement the vst editor.

Any suggestion?
Hm... settings looks properly, Strange. Could you try to connect your rev2 by USB and disable all music gears and software (except Reason of course). Also could you please try another DAW if it possible?

« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2020, 07:23:55 AM »
Appreciate your answer  :)
A copy of Ableton Lite comes with the Scarlet, I will try and see if the problem is persistent.
I realize it could be everything (Maybe Windows 7 or my old PC...???)...excluding the Rev2 connected via midi with the Scarlet, which is working great so far.
When you say "disable all music gears and software", would you include all devices connected to Reason?
I have a Nektar Panorama P6 configured as a master keyboard plus another MAudio locked to a specific track.
A part from that, only Midiloop is running in background to enable the additional virtual port.

« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2020, 02:57:14 AM »
Hi CodeKnobs, is the editor compatible with Catalina? Just wanted to check before I upgraded

« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2020, 01:30:20 PM »
Hi CodeKnobs, is the editor compatible with Catalina? Just wanted to check before I upgraded
Yes, it should work on Catalina but not sure about latest update 10.15.4, can't check now.

« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2020, 12:00:58 PM »
Hi Codeknobs! Thanks for the great editor. I wonder if it is possible to make a backup of the Program Manager database, with all patches and the tagging data I have added? For example, if I want to install the plugin on another computer and transfer the database there.

EDIT: I'm using the plugin on a Mac with Mac OS Mojave and I just found the 'codeKnobs' folder within the 'user/Documents' folder. Here I see a bunch of .tptags-files, which seem to contain all the patches and their tags. Should I copy all these files, if I install the plugin on a new computer, and add them to same location there?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 12:11:41 PM by Karax »

« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2020, 03:02:06 AM »
Hi Codeknobs! Thanks for the great editor. I wonder if it is possible to make a backup of the Program Manager database, with all patches and the tagging data I have added? For example, if I want to install the plugin on another computer and transfer the database there.

EDIT: I'm using the plugin on a Mac with Mac OS Mojave and I just found the 'codeKnobs' folder within the 'user/Documents' folder. Here I see a bunch of .tptags-files, which seem to contain all the patches and their tags. Should I copy all these files, if I install the plugin on a new computer, and add them to same location there?
Yes. codeknobs database stores in these folders
on windows:  %appdata%/codeknobs
on mac: ~/Documents/codeKnobs

« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2020, 05:38:37 AM »
Yes. codeknobs database stores in these folders
on windows:  %appdata%/codeknobs
on mac: ~/Documents/codeKnobs

Thank you!

« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2020, 10:03:04 AM »
Hi there,
this thread hasn´t been active quite a while... but I´d like to know if there will be Black Friday reductions tomorrow.
Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 10:06:25 AM by jatzemann »

« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2021, 10:43:29 PM »
[Edit: except that I haven't received a license # or download link. Is there a delay?

No. Something goes wrong. Please email me to support@codeknobs.com

Hi Alexey,
I found the download link in my account on codeKnobs, but didn't receive an email with the license #. I sent you an email yesterday. Any issues?
Thomas

« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2021, 05:49:50 AM »
[Edit: except that I haven't received a license # or download link. Is there a delay?

Hi Alexey,
I found the download link in my account on codeKnobs, but didn't receive an email with the license #. I sent you an email yesterday. Any issues?
Thomas
Hi Thomas,
I answered on your emails twice. Please PM me if you still not received my emails.

« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2021, 07:25:38 AM »

Hi Alexey,
Thomas
Hi Thomas,
I answered on your emails twice. Please PM me if you still not received my emails.
Hi Alexey,
PM helped!
Cheers,
Thomas

« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2021, 09:38:26 AM »
This may have been mentioned elsewhere in this thread so apologies, but is it possible to load the Prophet 08 factory patches using the editor?

I currently have the VST and it works great for any other syx file. But loading these 08 patches doesn't seem to work at all - the import menu stays blank after selecting the file.

I've heard that they need to be converted to REV2 patches or something, so I'm wondering if that's the reason why. Supposedly the Soundtower editor is able to handle this but I'd rather not have to go that route as I much prefer this one.

« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2021, 04:12:23 AM »
New version of editors released. Now they should natively works on apple silicon.

« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2021, 12:58:06 PM »
Hi @Codeknobs,

I have a REV2 16 voice keyboard, it is connected to my DAW (Studio One Pro 5.3/Windows 10) via USB, does your VST REV2 editor allow me use it via USB ?

Does the current version of you REV2 editor allows me to edit the step-sequencer of the REV2 ?

Any specific editing operation that the current version of your editor does not support ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 12:59:51 PM by muziksculp »

« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2021, 11:17:50 AM »
Hi @Codeknobs,

I have a REV2 16 voice keyboard, it is connected to my DAW (Studio One Pro 5.3/Windows 10) via USB, does your VST REV2 editor allow me use it via USB ?

As long as you aren't using the usb connection twice. (1. Editor & 2. DAW) I have my Rev2 connected via USB as well as midi cables. The USB midi port is communicating with the editor exclusively. The 5 pin midi port handles all of the DAW needs. (notes, controllers, clock sync) The usb midi port is hidden in my DAW to keep it free for the editor.

Does the current version of you REV2 editor allows me to edit the step-sequencer of the REV2 ?

Yes. I've attached some images of the sequencer edit pages. The small rectangles (Gate Sequencer Pic) above the steps are the "rest" and "reset" commands.

Any specific editing operation that the current version of your editor does not support ?

Pretty sure it covers everything although I haven't updated to this latest version of the editor. Maybe CodeKnobs will pop in to elaborate.

« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2021, 05:42:49 PM »
Hi @Codeknobs,

As long as you aren't using the usb connection twice. (1. Editor & 2. DAW) I have my Rev2 connected via USB as well as midi cables. The USB midi port is communicating with the editor exclusively. The 5 pin midi port handles all of the DAW needs. (notes, controllers, clock sync) The usb midi port is hidden in my DAW to keep it free for the editor.

Yes. I've attached some images of the sequencer edit pages. The small rectangles (Gate Sequencer Pic) above the steps are the "rest" and "reset" commands.

Pretty sure it covers everything although I haven't updated to this latest version of the editor. Maybe CodeKnobs will pop in to elaborate.

Hi @RobustAmerican,

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

I ended up purchasing the SoundTower Prophet REV2 VST Editor.

The SoundTower REV 2 Editor's instructions do not mention that I need to have two independent connections, one for the REV2 to DAW, and one for the Editor via Serial MIDI ports. 

I will try using the SoundTower VST editor while my REV2 is connected via USB, and see if the editor works. Otherwise, I might have to do what you did, use the USB for the Editor, and connect the REV2 via Serial MIDI ports. I'm also curious if I could use Virtual Midi ports, i.e. LoopMidi ports for the Editor, and use the REV 2 USB for the DAW.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 05:51:46 PM by muziksculp »

« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2021, 04:32:51 AM »
Hi!

I just noticed that the codeknobs editor does not seem to send any parameter changes anymore to my REV2 when used in Logic Pro and when I turn a physical knob on the synth.

I have set up both the REV2 and the editor software according to the setup instructions and disabled the Rev2 midi port in Logic and instead enabled the ProhetREV2Editor_AUX midi port.

If I turn a knob with the mouse in the software editor, for instance the cutoff, then the sound is altered in the synth, but if I turn the physical knob on the synth, then I can only see the knob turning in the editor, but the sound is not altered. So the editor does only seem to recieve parameter changes from the synth, but not send them out.

This has worked fine before, so it's strange it suddenly stopped working. Any suggestions what the problem might be?

« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2022, 09:43:27 PM »
Hi!

I just noticed that the codeknobs editor does not seem to send any parameter changes anymore to my REV2 when used in Logic Pro and when I turn a physical knob on the synth.

I have set up both the REV2 and the editor software according to the setup instructions and disabled the Rev2 midi port in Logic and instead enabled the ProhetREV2Editor_AUX midi port.

If I turn a knob with the mouse in the software editor, for instance the cutoff, then the sound is altered in the synth, but if I turn the physical knob on the synth, then I can only see the knob turning in the editor, but the sound is not altered. So the editor does only seem to recieve parameter changes from the synth, but not send them out.

This has worked fine before, so it's strange it suddenly stopped working. Any suggestions what the problem might be?

Did you sort out this issue? if so, how'd you do it?

Kusho

« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2022, 10:22:46 PM »
I can't find where to enter the registration information? There's no link in the VST software. And no panel in the software I can find.

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious!