Prophet REV2 editor VST

maxter

Re: Prophet REV2 editor VST
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2019, 05:27:54 AM »
I'll never understand someone buying a synth full of buttons and knobs, only to want to control/program it via software...

Haha, I'm not surprised, as you've got a Matrix 6 only used as a MIDI controller, because it's a PITA to program it from the front panel buttons  ;)... while there are editors that make the programming swift and easy for it. It's a bit of a shame not to use the Matrix 6 as the synth it is, I mean the filters are REALLY nice...

Meanwhile, the Rev2 is not so easy to program the gated sequencers on, as the Prophet 08 is. On the prophet 08 you can program each of the 16 steps simultaneously, and switch between the 4 sequencers, where as on the Rev2 you can only do one step at a time, with the parameter/value knobs... Also, the mod matrix is quite neat to program from an editor, as you get an overview and can change each modulation without having to step between them. To each his own, I suppose, but in some cases an editor really does make sense... Now I'm not fond of the PC approach, mouse and all, but to me that's where the iPad comes in...
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2019, 04:27:39 PM »
I'll never understand someone buying a synth full of buttons and knobs, only to want to control/program it via software...

Many have already expressed this but let me chime in as this was literally what I was talking about right before you posted.

I don't even program my synth via the editor at all. Zero.

The editor is great because it allows me to save a Rev2 patch into an Ableton Rack complete with any additional effects I want to add into that rack. These settings can be easily pulled up with any project I open and I can even use multiple instances at once, provided I play them one at a time (which is fine because I often do this per part and resample the audio.)

Oh and despite the fact that I don't use it as an editor, I could totally understand that others may have different experiences from my own and may want to utilize the editor in their unique situation/setup.

« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2019, 04:36:23 AM »
I've bought the editor but actually not used it that much. Maybe for renaming patches in a convenient way.
Nowadays I tend to not even save every patch, only when it is a complicated one; A lot of patches you can create create by turning all the potmeters; just like the old days :-) So I basically have some base sounds that I always work with and change them to what I like that day. Next day it may be something different.

« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2019, 03:50:19 AM »
I updated user manual and added few paragraphs:
  • How to capture audio from synthesizer in DAW and process it on same track with the editor.
  • How to record MIDI from synthesizer in DAW.
  • How to sync BPM, work in slave mode.
Hope it will helpful for users.
https://codeknobs.com/how_to_configure_v3.php#capture

« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2019, 11:28:35 PM »
I tried the plugin and quite like it (it is much more responsive and user friend than the official competition).
Quick question from my side. I'm using the REV2 (keyboard version) as the main keyboard controller with Ableton. It looks like the plugin being hooked to the Rev2 midi in/out, I can no longer use the keyboard for other purposes (not even record MIDI).
To mitigate that, I went into the global controls, set 12.MIDI Out Select to MIDI+USB and then connected the midi out to another midi in. Is that the expected way to proceed? Sounds a bit over complicated to me providing that Rev2 USB was already available. Also when I play the Rev2 through DAW I now have duplicate midi event since both USB and MIDI are sent to this lane. Bit lost here, what is the best practice?

Edit: there is another issue with the clock port. Why does it have to be another AUX port which again cannot be shared with the DAW? Ultimately all MIDI are preemptively hooked and the sound comes from an external effect. This is a weird design, could you make it truly VST, that is sharing I/Os with the DAW?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 11:44:05 PM by Tugdual »

« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2019, 04:31:08 AM »
I tried the plugin and quite like it (it is much more responsive and user friend than the official competition).
Quick question from my side. I'm using the REV2 (keyboard version) as the main keyboard controller with Ableton. It looks like the plugin being hooked to the Rev2 midi in/out, I can no longer use the keyboard for other purposes (not even record MIDI).
To mitigate that, I went into the global controls, set 12.MIDI Out Select to MIDI+USB and then connected the midi out to another midi in. Is that the expected way to proceed? Sounds a bit over complicated to me providing that Rev2 USB was already available. Also when I play the Rev2 through DAW I now have duplicate midi event since both USB and MIDI are sent to this lane. Bit lost here, what is the best practice?

I think more simpler way is to use solution with additional MIDI ports described in manual

Edit: there is another issue with the clock port. Why does it have to be another AUX port which again cannot be shared with the DAW? Ultimately all MIDI are preemptively hooked and the sound comes from an external effect. This is a weird design, could you make it truly VST, that is sharing I/Os with the DAW?

It's limited by VST standart. VST plugins can't access to I/O of audio intergace and MIDI ports used in DAW. VST disigned for software instruments, therefore such sulutions implemented in the editor

« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2019, 10:13:23 AM »

I think more simpler way is to use solution with additional MIDI ports described in manual

It's limited by VST standart. VST plugins can't access to I/O of audio intergace and MIDI ports used in DAW. VST disigned for software instruments, therefore such sulutions implemented in the editor

Thanks CodeKnob you just sold a license ;)

Edit: except that I haven't received a license # or download link. Is there a delay?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:26:57 AM by Tugdual »

« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2019, 11:37:21 PM »
[Edit: except that I haven't received a license # or download link. Is there a delay?

No. Something goes wrong. Please email me to support@codeknobs.com

« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2019, 01:09:32 PM »
[Edit: except that I haven't received a license # or download link. Is there a delay?

No. Something goes wrong. Please email me to support@codeknobs.com
Was a bit rough but we made it  ;)
Thanks for the good support Alexey

« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2019, 05:57:58 AM »
Was a bit rough but we made it  ;)
Thanks for the good support Alexey

My apologizes for this issue. Usually this doesn't happen :)

« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2019, 01:09:53 AM »
Hi Alexey,

do you have a changelog for the REV2 editor? I just installed the latest version but I was curious as what I have missed.

Thanks,
Ron

« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2019, 09:47:51 AM »
Just want to say that I like REV2 even more now. Also I like to tweak knobs on synth... but saving patches inside of project and "interpolator", "transplantator" features plus quick locking parameters are really super cool and useful!

« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2019, 08:19:35 AM »
For a long time I did not publish news about updates. So... :)

New version 1.23 released!
Changes:
- Minor fixes and improvements

BTW. On my opinion the editor should be pretty stable and bugs free. I use it every day in my production. If you unlucky tried it sometime ago then try it now. But don't forget to properly configure your setup by this article https://codeknobs.com/how_to_configure_v3.php

« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2019, 08:05:15 AM »
Black Friday Sale!

« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2019, 04:38:35 PM »
Thanks for the update CodeKnobs!!! You rock!

« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2019, 08:00:48 AM »
Hi, guys. Have a problem with Rev2Editor.
When i load a preset for the first time, it shows Poly SEQ info correctly. But it initializing this page, every time I close the plugin window. Gated SEQ tab works properly. Does anyone has the same problem?

« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2020, 10:50:23 AM »
Hi

I compared CodeKnobs with SoundTower and CodeKnob is capable of restoring saved settings in Ableton instrument rack while SoundTower does not.

However! also in CodeKnobs, settings are saved only when i save Ableton project PLUS saving the instrument rack containing CodeKnobs VST

In SoundTower you can only save the setting by clicking 'receive' and then go to the preset manager and save the preset, which is ridiculous workflow. BTW the author told me that this is the way to do that...

Do you have other experience?

Aleos

« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2020, 01:46:41 PM »
Hi, love this software, or at least the potential of what it can do in my music making, but Im having some strange issues in Logic.

If I have a patch on my REV2 module, user or factory, doesn't matter, and then load up the rev2 editor in and instrument slot in Logic, the patch changes. Not to an entirely direct patch, put something strange happens. An dit seems to be different for different patches. ex. I have keyboard sound with organ-like sustain. I load the editor and it be3comes a pluck-ed instrument with zero sustain if I old the keys down.
another example; the factory preset 'dreamlines', is fine, then when I load the editor, there is a bunch of distortion on it.
And then sometimes certain patches are silent.

I can recreate this situation all the time. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I don't have so much experience with outboard midi gear, so I apologize for anything that is obvious to you outboard pros, however I am a long-time Logic user, and I can't seem to figure this out.

Thanks for the help.

« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2020, 11:22:12 PM »
Hi, figured I'd post a situation I dealt with just in case it's bothering anybody else.  I know some people mentioned some kind of MIDI issues.

The instructions on CodeKnobs website for setting up the Rev 2 include these two steps

•MIDI Param Send to NPRN
•MIDI Param Receive to NPRN

This however also enables some MIDI CC mappings built into the rev 2, such as CC 20 = osc 1 pitch.  This was pissing me off because certain faders/knobs on my MIDI controller were effecting my rev 2 patches.  Given the understanding that these settings MUST be set to NPRN per CodeKnobs guide, it seems I'd have to find enough CC values that were undefined by MIDI standard + the rev2, to set my knobs/faders to on my keyboard... this leaves very few values since the rev2 takes advantage of undefined CC values.

I have found that setting "MIDI Param Receive" on the rev 2 to OFF, and setting "Param Receive All" unchecked in the CodeKnobs VST settings menu, that you can still successfully send/receive programs and have the VST and Rev2 knobs be in sync, without arbitrary CC values effecting your patches.  I'm not sure what setting Param Receive to NPRN/checked is supposed to accomplish, but since it is defined in the guide I'm assuming there is some functionality I'm missing here that I haven't noticed.  Please let me know the purpose of Param Receive within this context if you know.

Anyway, this software is really changing the game on connecting my rev 2 into ableton.  I also have the SoundTower software and the CodeKnobs one is much much much cleaner/easier/intuitive, not to mention it's half the price.  The fact that I can create 5 tracks in ableton with this VST, and each be a separate instance that I can go back/forth between without even touching any kind of patch saving on the rev 2 or editor is amazing, and now I can now save patches as an ableton instrument.  As far as I can tell the only feature SoundTower has over it is the patch morphing thing, but that's not something I care about.  I really hope that this software continues to work through whatever wrenches MacOS or Ableton updates might throw at it.  Thanks a lot for your work developing this.

« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2020, 12:28:25 PM »
Hi All,

I just wanted to share my experience with this very interesting plugin and hope to find some help/suggestion since my first try was close to a disaster (-;
I am using my Prophet Rev 2 in conjunction with Reason 9.5 on a PC running Windows 7 64 and an old Tascam US 322 with no MIDI connections. (changed later with a Scarlet Focusrite 18i8)

1st attempt with the Tascam US 322 and usb connection (+Midiloop for the virtual port):
All when quite good, following the instruction on setting up both the Rev 2 and the vst.
The problem I have is related to hanging notes, as soon as I use after touch or wheels (pitch and mod)...plus some missing notes here and there.
In few cases, when scrolling the programs knob on the synth, I loose the connection with the vst and need to drag again the vst into the Reason Rack and re-activate.
I started to think that maybe the problem could be related to the usb connection and the lack of a proper MIDI interface.

I then connected my new Scarlet 18i8 with MIDI cables and tried again...seems like worst.
Here are the setting on my Prophet:

3. MIDI channel 1
4. MIDI clock mode OFF
5. MIDI clock cable MIDI
6. MIDI param send NRPN
7. MIDI param rcv NRPN
8. MIDI control ON
9. MIDI program ENABLE
10.MIDI program send ON
11. MIDI sysex cable MIDI
12. MIDI out select MIDI
15. Multimode OFF
16. Local control OFF

I also attach the following:

- Codeknobs preferences
- Midiloop port setting
- Reason control surface

I could not even play any notes on the Rev 2, scrolling programs would cause the Rev 2 to freeze and then play random notes all together...and most of the time a pop up message on screen telling the computer is not fast enough to process all MIDI data (i7 3770k cpu)
If I use the MIDI device inside Reason and forget about the vst editor, everything working great...but of course no editor, no librarian and no full interaction between the Rev 2 and Reason...which was the main idea to implement the vst editor.

Any suggestion?