Prophet REV2 editor VST

Re: Prophet REV2 editor VST
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 01:29:23 AM »
"MIDI Clock Mode to OFF. Because VST Host doesn't send or receive MIDI clock messages via VST protocol."

Does this mean that there is no way to automatically sync REV2 to DAW tempo?

Thanks
There is a button in the editor that syncs BPM of DAW and synthesizer. But some latency issues are posible and should be fixed manually in DAW.

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 01:35:22 AM »
Anyone else having graphics corruption and slow graphics refreshing with this editor. When I turn "Always on Top" off and it gets hidden behind another window the editor's graphics disappear or get corrupted. (See the attachments) Minimizing it and restoring it fixes the issue until it gets hidden again. This is becoming a pain. None of my other vst editors have this problem...Sub37, Minitaur. In fact I also use the Integra 7 and OB-6 stand alone editors and they also do not show any of these issues.

Also, when loading a preset saved to my hard drive some settings don't recall properly. For example the other night I loaded a stacked preset and layer B wasn't sounding. When I pressed the "Edit Layer B" button on the synth Layer B suddenly started sounding as it should. This has happened twice so far that I've noticed.

I have it connected using the Midi Din connection.
Please email me at support@codeknobs.com. Don't forget to specify your setup (PC configuration, DAW etc).
BTW Sometimes graphics issues can be solved by updating on latest  video adapter drivers. In my practice this was several times.

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 03:11:28 AM »
Can someone guide me through how to use the plugin (just bought it) on Logic ProX
1. I don't understand what and where to disable the midi as instructed Power on your Prophet REV2, and connect it via USB, Open your DAW, proceed to MIDI preferences and DISABLE or REMOVE "Rev2" MIDI ports (input and output).

2. The plugin only offer me Mono or Multioutput (2xmono) Can't I switch this to stereo?
3. I want to setup a template to record both midi and a audiotrack that I can bounce down to. What is your workflow for the rest. Do you use the I/O plugin on that track? How do you handle delay compensation?

I'm currently using the Midi via USB from Rev2 and Main/A outputs to two inputs on my RME UCX.

Thankful for any guidance. :)

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 10:45:02 AM »
Can someone guide me through how to use the plugin (just bought it) on Logic ProX
1. I don't understand what and where to disable the midi as instructed Power on your Prophet REV2, and connect it via USB, Open your DAW, proceed to MIDI preferences and DISABLE or REMOVE "Rev2" MIDI ports (input and output).

As I know just put editor to track in Logic and set right midi port in editor. There is no special setup in Logic.

2. The plugin only offer me Mono or Multioutput (2xmono) Can't I switch this to stereo?
Unfortunately I'm not Logic user. Could you explain the issue?

3. I want to setup a template to record both midi and a audiotrack that I can bounce down to. What is your workflow for the rest. Do you use the I/O plugin on that track? How do you handle delay compensation?
Can't answer for sure because I'm not Logic user as I said before. In Ableton Live this solves very easy. Some time ago I asked my friend about latency compensation in Logic and what he say:
So to fix synchronization, I see two options:
1) move the non-P6/P12 editor tracks or set the track delay parameter (or put in negative delay on the P6/P12 tracks).  I was able to get the notes sounding together with this technique, though it took some time to get the delay right.
2) have the MIDI notes on another track, so there are two tracks controlling the P6 (one for the editor and another for the midi notes) and another two controlling the P12.  With this approach the notes were in sync without having to move any tracks.

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 05:47:01 AM »

As I know just put editor to track in Logic and set right midi port in editor. There is no special setup in Logic.

Unfortunately I'm not Logic user. Could you explain the issue?

Can't answer for sure because I'm not Logic user as I said before. In Ableton Live this solves very easy. Some time ago I asked my friend about latency compensation in Logic and what he say:
So to fix synchronization, I see two options:
1) move the non-P6/P12 editor tracks or set the track delay parameter (or put in negative delay on the P6/P12 tracks).  I was able to get the notes sounding together with this technique, though it took some time to get the delay right.
2) have the MIDI notes on another track, so there are two tracks controlling the P6 (one for the editor and another for the midi notes) and another two controlling the P12.  With this approach the notes were in sync without having to move any tracks.

1. Ok good. Then I probably did everything right
2. Included a picture... I don't know if it is of importance because it's on a softwareinstrument channel with only MIDI anyway. Pan and Volume doesn't control anything on this channel anyway... A bit confusing since with regular softwareinstrumentchannels you do control pan, vol, and inserts and sends. So for that to work I need to make another External Midi track using the "external instrument plugin". And to bounce I need a third track? I thought that maybe the ProphetPlugin worked the same way as the "external instrument plugin"?

As you can see I'm kind of new on how to integrate outboard synth's to daw. Anyone else that uses logic and have the ultimate setup? :)

Murphy

• Keyboard, French Horn
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 09:57:04 PM »
codeKnobs: have you tested DSI's REV2 VST/AU product with Ableton Live Version 10? Just wondering if anyone has used this with Version 10. I realize it should work fine regardless of the DAW they are using but curious to know other people's DAW environment currently in use with your product.

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 02:02:44 AM »
codeKnobs: have you tested DSI's REV2 VST/AU product with Ableton Live Version 10? Just wondering if anyone has used this with Version 10. I realize it should work fine regardless of the DAW they are using but curious to know other people's DAW environment currently in use with your product.
Yes it should work fine in Live 10 and Live 9. This article show how to setup plugin in Live. It's not about REV2 editor but also valid for it. http://codeknobs.com/tpe_abletion_live_tt.php

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 05:55:36 PM »
Can someone guide me through how to use the plugin (just bought it) on Logic ProX.
1. I don't understand what and where to disable the midi as instructed Power on your Prophet REV2, and connect it via USB, Open your DAW, proceed to MIDI preferences and DISABLE or REMOVE "Rev2" MIDI ports (input and output). Okay so this is more of an Ableton Live Direction, no need to disable the anything in Logic. Just make sure you're selecting the DSI ports in the plugins midi settings, you want to make sure the plugin is dictating the midi control to and from the synth... not the DAW ports.

2. The plugin only offer me Mono or Multioutput (2xmono) Can't I switch this to stereo? I would just use the hardware to dictate the outputs...
3. I want to setup a template to record both midi and a audiotrack that I can bounce down to. What is your workflow for the rest. Do you use the I/O plugin on that track? How do you handle delay compensation? There's no need for the IO plugin, just insert the plugin on a software instrument track... then set up an audio track for monitoring/recording the synth. I monitor direct off my pre amps (also referred to as direct monitoring). In terms of delay compensation, there's what your hearing and what you're printing... direct monitoring should help the lag (not make it sample accurate - that's impossible without midi sync clocking devices), only thing you can do to make sure you're printing accurately is to measure your lag and adjust recording delay compensation in the preferences... this is a moving target in my experience. I usually avoid this all together and reopen the session if stuff is way off grid... when it's as close to on grid and sounding good I print and adjust audio as needed, to my knowledge this is what a lot of people are doing too. It's an imperfect world in the midi realm but if it sounds funky (in a good way) leave it!!! :)

I'm currently using the Midi via USB from Rev2 and Main/A outputs to two inputs on my RME UCX.

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 03:04:33 PM »
Can someone guide me through how to use the plugin (just bought it) on Logic ProX.
1. I don't understand what and where to disable the midi as instructed Power on your Prophet REV2, and connect it via USB, Open your DAW, proceed to MIDI preferences and DISABLE or REMOVE "Rev2" MIDI ports (input and output). Okay so this is more of an Ableton Live Direction, no need to disable the anything in Logic. Just make sure you're selecting the DSI ports in the plugins midi settings, you want to make sure the plugin is dictating the midi control to and from the synth... not the DAW ports.

2. The plugin only offer me Mono or Multioutput (2xmono) Can't I switch this to stereo? I would just use the hardware to dictate the outputs...
3. I want to setup a template to record both midi and a audiotrack that I can bounce down to. What is your workflow for the rest. Do you use the I/O plugin on that track? How do you handle delay compensation? There's no need for the IO plugin, just insert the plugin on a software instrument track... then set up an audio track for monitoring/recording the synth. I monitor direct off my pre amps (also referred to as direct monitoring). In terms of delay compensation, there's what your hearing and what you're printing... direct monitoring should help the lag (not make it sample accurate - that's impossible without midi sync clocking devices), only thing you can do to make sure you're printing accurately is to measure your lag and adjust recording delay compensation in the preferences... this is a moving target in my experience. I usually avoid this all together and reopen the session if stuff is way off grid... when it's as close to on grid and sounding good I print and adjust audio as needed, to my knowledge this is what a lot of people are doing too. It's an imperfect world in the midi realm but if it sounds funky (in a good way) leave it!!! :)

Thanks mate. Yes that is probably the easiest way. I just thought that I somehow should add the "external instrument plugin" into the equation since it seems to have an option to "Auto-compensate Latency" checkbox. But I guess I'll live without it. :)

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2018, 09:33:26 PM »
I'm using Nuendo and I'm out of available usb ports so I'm only using midi. I have disabled the midi ports that the Rev2 is connected to in Nuendo's "midi port setup" page. Then I load the editor as a vst instrument. Choose the midi ports in the setup page of the editor. Then I load an audio track setup to monitor the Rev2. Actually I have saved this setup as a multi track preset so everything loads in one go. This is working pretty good so far except for the midi clock and a few inconsistencies/bugs with the editor. So far I have just been setting the tempo of the editor to match the tempo in Nuendo and that seems to keep everything in sync quite nicely. Haven't done any songs with tempo changes since setting this up though...So that might be a whole new nightmare.

I can't help but think that a language barrier is making this more difficult then it could be. That and the lack of an operation manual pretty much make this a shot in the dark for users.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2018, 11:20:55 PM »
Version 1.9 released!
Changes:
- Polyphonic step sequencer control
- Aux output port. Now you can record MIDI from synthesizer in DAW. On Windows platform it requires virtual midi ports software.
- Fast program recall. You can easy bind 5 programs to buttons on toolbar and load them in editor by one click.
- Dynamic changes parameters names in FX section.
- LFO FREQ and DELAY TIME in synced mode now shows bpm synced values.
- Improved performance
- A lot of minor bugs fixed

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2018, 02:24:08 AM »
Great! Thank you.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2018, 08:31:14 PM »
Version 1.9 released!
Changes:
- Aux output port. Now you can record MIDI from synthesizer in DAW. On Windows platform it requires virtual midi ports software.
- Fast program recall. You can easy bind 5 programs to buttons on toolbar and load them in editor by one click.
- Improved performance

Thanks for this update...It seems to have fixed my graphics corruption problems. At least is hasn't happened yet with the new version. All the new features you've added are great so keep up the good work.

I have one small request for the next version. The tool tips that pop up when you are tweaking a parameter almost always get in the way so I can't see the parameter. Is there a way to turn these parameter value pop ups off? Please add this functionality if not.

Thanks!
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2018, 02:25:35 AM »
I have one small request for the next version. The tool tips that pop up when you are tweaking a parameter almost always get in the way so I can't see the parameter. Is there a way to turn these parameter value pop ups off? Please add this functionality if not.

Thanks!

Already in my todo :)

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2018, 06:13:12 AM »
Version 1.12 released!
Changes:
-Minor fixes

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2018, 01:50:29 PM »
Version 1.12 released!
Changes:
-Minor fixes

Thanks for the update. I was missing the FX1 parameter knob with version 1.11. Now it is back in version 1.12!

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2018, 03:31:48 AM »
What is the best way to configure the AU plugin so that I can record and playback everything without crashes?

After following the instructions I got the editor to work.

Having switched off the REV2 Plugin's MIDI (or USB) channels in the DAW, i need the AUX midi output to be able to record note data played on the REV2 in my DAW.

Unfortunately, the editor crashes when sending MOD or PITCH wheel data. When AUX output is off, the wheels work fine, causing no crash but in that case I can't get the notes from the REV2 be recorded.

When I put LOCAL = off in global settings, the parameter changes on the hardware are visible on the editor, but not audible!

A last question: is it normal the Plugin / Editor works slower via MIDI connection (via a iConnectivity MIDI DIN port) than via USB?

Thanks for the help!

L

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:37:48 AM by luk.vermeir@gmail.com »

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2018, 11:55:09 PM »
What is the best way to configure the AU plugin so that I can record and playback everything without crashes?

After following the instructions I got the editor to work.

Having switched off the REV2 Plugin's MIDI (or USB) channels in the DAW, i need the AUX midi output to be able to record note data played on the REV2 in my DAW.

Unfortunately, the editor crashes when sending MOD or PITCH wheel data. When AUX output is off, the wheels work fine, causing no crash but in that case I can't get the notes from the REV2 be recorded.

When I put LOCAL = off in global settings, the parameter changes on the hardware are visible on the editor, but not audible!

A last question: is it normal the Plugin / Editor works slower via MIDI connection (via a iConnectivity MIDI DIN port) than via USB?

Thanks for the help!
Of course the editor shouldn't crashes. Could you please send me crash report by email?
Please explain what is slower? Something like you track is 120bpm but rev2 plays 100bpm? Or you mean that you have delay/latency? Is it occurs only when record automation from device?

PS. I think it is question for support. Could you please email me on support@codeknobs.com?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:42:47 AM by codeKnobs »

chexg

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2018, 06:26:37 AM »
Version 1.9 released!
Changes:
- Improved performance

Hi, I demo'ed the Prophet REV2 Editor VST/AU 1.12, and I really like it. However, my only problem was figuring out how to be able to record the midi from the rev2 keyboard, into my DAW, while using this vst? I know there is the aux output port, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. I am using Windows 10, Ableton Live Suite 10. You mentioned that on Windows, I'll need "virtual midi ports software". Where can I find this? Thank you!

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2018, 04:22:44 AM »
Version 1.13 released!
Changes:
- Local Control OFF mode support
- Fix bugs with AUX port on OS X
- Different minor fixes for REV2
- Record automation from device now works when the editor window is closed