Prophet REV2 editor VST

Re: Prophet REV2 editor VST
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2018, 12:38:45 AM »
I really like the Codeknobs editor but there is one thing that could be improved. And that is using the available space a bit better; especially with the gated sequencer. The font and the slider are so tiny (on my screen) that it is very hard to slide and read). So if all the labels of the values would get a font that is a bit bigger that would be great.

First I was going to make an editor myself but I just have no time (making music is already hard), but when I see issues in an existing one it start itching :-)
Thank you for the feedback! BTW you can scale UI in the editor preferences. :)

I can only go up to 125%, if I go higher I only see blocks, no text.

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2018, 09:24:01 AM »
Hi there,
I released Prophet REV2 editor - VST editor for the Prophet REV2. Now you can store your patches within DAW project, automate synthesizer parameters and much more!

Product page: http://codeknobs.com/products.php?id=7

I bought the SoundTower one and I'm not too sure it works that well : /   I have a MAC.

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »

This is bug. I'm working on fix that reduce video memory usage for fonts. Maybe this helps.
If you on PC please update video drivers to latest. Usually this helps. Often this issue occurs on CPU integrated video adapters.

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2018, 12:14:15 AM »

This is bug. I'm working on fix that reduce video memory usage for fonts. Maybe this helps.
If you on PC please update video drivers to latest. Usually this helps. Often this issue occurs on CPU integrated video adapters.

I'm on MacOS. For some reason I can scale up to 200% in my MacBook Pro (15inch retina) but I get blocks on my MacMini with more than 125%.

« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2018, 03:02:26 AM »
Out of curiosity, codeKnobs, does this allow to automate Gated sequencer contents ?

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2018, 02:41:49 AM »
hi codeknobs, does did editor have an edge over Soundtower's? e.g. design layout, extra features
DSI Prophet Rev2, Access Virus TI, Moog Sirin, Ableton Live

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2018, 08:49:16 AM »
sorry for the typo, wanted to ask what are the pros & cons of CodeKnobs vs SoundTower?

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2018, 03:55:16 PM »
Hi, I'm really enjoying the editor, can't recommend it highly enough - It's super stable, it hasn't lost connection with my REV2 once, I haven't noticed any bugs and the UI is nice and clean.

Question: The REV2 is the first synth I've owned where I actually like and use a lot of the presets, not all of them but probably about 20%. I don't love the way DSI has laid out the user and factory presets though.
Ideally I would like to organise things as follows: U1 P1-P30: The presets I have made so far, U1 P30-P128: INIT (with the view of overwriting these to new patches I make in the future). U2 P1-P128: All the factory presets I do like in one place.  U3 P1-P128: INIT. U4 P1-P128: INIT.

Is there a quick and easy way to do this through the editor?

Also, not related to the editor but is there a way to change the default INIT patch on the REV2? One thing that always annoys me is the OSC MIX knob being set 100% to OSC1, I'd prefer it to be in the middle at 50% as it frustrates me how it drops in volume as I turn the knob towards 50% (too picky? lol)

Open to opinions/different ways of looking at both of these things  :)

« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2018, 08:39:54 PM »
Question: The REV2 is the first synth I've owned where I actually like and use a lot of the presets, not all of them but probably about 20%. I don't love the way DSI has laid out the user and factory presets though.
Ideally I would like to organise things as follows: U1 P1-P30: The presets I have made so far, U1 P30-P128: INIT (with the view of overwriting these to new patches I make in the future). U2 P1-P128: All the factory presets I do like in one place.  U3 P1-P128: INIT. U4 P1-P128: INIT.

+1 for this. Is it possible to drag and drop presets into the bank rather than import & export entire banks?

« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2018, 08:11:58 AM »
Hi, I'm really enjoying the editor, can't recommend it highly enough - It's super stable, it hasn't lost connection with my REV2 once, I haven't noticed any bugs and the UI is nice and clean.

Also, not related to the editor but is there a way to change the default INIT patch on the REV2? One thing that always annoys me is the OSC MIX knob being set 100% to OSC1, I'd prefer it to be in the middle at 50% as it frustrates me how it drops in volume as I turn the knob towards 50% (too picky? lol)

Open to opinions/different ways of looking at both of these things  :)
1. At first I want to say that main idea of vst/au editor is work with hardware synthesizer as with software synthesizer and keep usable features of work with hardware synthesizer. Therefore the main tool for work with patches is Preset Manager (PM), it much usable then banks of patches on your device. For example I newer save and switch paches on synthesizer banks and use only PM. I tag my patches and then can easy filter and switch them by one click. I'm not worried about where to save it on the device etc. Also there is a 5 "Fast Presets" buttons where you can assing different "init patches" and recall them by one click.

2. Answering your qustion. Yes, you compile your patches to banks as you want. You should import all patches to PM and then copy patches from PM to Export panel in order as you want and then save compiled bank to device. You can check synthet tutorial to learn more about PM and preset management.

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2018, 08:14:02 AM »
Out of curiosity, codeKnobs, does this allow to automate Gated sequencer contents ?
Unfortunately no.

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2018, 05:05:57 AM »
Hi CodeKnobs and thank you for this wonderful software!

It is possible to delete tags?? I couldn't do that; it would be extremely helpful

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2018, 11:06:22 AM »
Hi CodeKnobs and thank you for this wonderful software!

It is possible to delete tags?? I couldn't do that; it would be extremely helpful

There is no special option for deleting user tags. For delete user tags you should remove this tags from all patches that this tags  was assigned. It's vey easy:
1. Filter patches by pressing tag that  you want to delete in Program Manager.
2. Select all filtered patches by using Ctrl/Cmd + a and then press pencil button in Program Manager panel
3. Deselect tag you want to delete. And close window.
4. Close and reopen editor window, the tag should be deleted and not present in tag list.

« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2018, 07:25:20 AM »
New version 1.16 released!
Changes:
- Reduced video memory usage
- Minor fixes and changes

« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2018, 12:48:44 AM »
Just got a Rev2 and I am looking for an editor. I downloaded the Codeknobs demo version and I have two question:
1. If I disable midi in Ableton live so that the editor can get a connection, how would I record midi notes? Would I have to switch on and off the setting each time?
2. Is there a Poly Sequencer in the making? I always found this very useful and used it a lot on the Sub37 VST editor.
Thanks for any advice!

« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2018, 11:34:47 AM »
Just got a Rev2 and I am looking for an editor. I downloaded the Codeknobs demo version and I have two question:
1. If I disable midi in Ableton live so that the editor can get a connection, how would I record midi notes? Would I have to switch on and off the setting each time?
2. Is there a Poly Sequencer in the making? I always found this very useful and used it a lot on the Sub37 VST editor.
Thanks for any advice!

I have the Rev2's "USB" midi ports disabled in Nuendo's midi preferences. Instead, I use the 5 pin midi cable connections for Nuendo via a midi interface. This frees up the Rev2's USB midi ports for the editor. Works great.

Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2018, 05:00:54 AM »
Thanks for any advice!

I have the Rev2's "USB" midi ports disabled in Nuendo's midi preferences. Instead, I use the 5 pin midi cable connections for Nuendo via a midi interface. This frees up the Rev2's USB midi ports for the editor. Works great.

Thank you for your reply. As far as I understand you, you are using both the old 5 pin cables and the USB cable at the same time assigning them accordingly. I will try this. However, I'm still looking for a proper editor for the sequencer (not the gated) - is there such a thing available somewhere? I recall that there is an editor for the P08 which includes all functions.

« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2018, 06:03:26 AM »
Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for your reply. As far as I understand you, you are using both the old 5 pin cables and the USB cable at the same time assigning them accordingly. I will try this. However, I'm still looking for a proper editor for the sequencer (not the gated) - is there such a thing available somewhere? I recall that there is an editor for the P08 which includes all functions.

There is a poly sequencer in the editor

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2018, 10:36:07 AM »
Other than a program banks manager, I've never understood the point of such software for editing sounds on a computer screen, when the hardware synth offers 55 physical knobs and 35 real buttons that are just waiting for you to tweak with your bare hands !?
And since almost anything can modulate anything else on that same hardware synth, the automation feature seems rather pointless too...
Am I missing something ? But maybe I'm too "old school". After all, I'm 10 years older than my 1975 Minimoog D... ;-)

I can tell you why some would want an editor, sine I'm a heavy user of editors... I'm actually so used to them, that working the REV2 from the front panel is frustrating to me, and this is why:

I get a much better overview of a program I'm working on, when I can see all and every parameter on the screen at one time... my own editor has ALL parameters on ONE single screen, even both layers.... I can't state enough how much faster it is to program sounds this way.

Yes... you get A LOT of tweakability on the REV2... but it's nowhere near the same as using an editor still... the REV2 is basically a "one layer front panel"... that means, that if you only edit a single layer, it might be fine using the front panel, but as soon as you enter layer B, then all controls no longer fit the parameter values... and if you tweak any, then layer A will not be the same anymore either... that fact is more than enough to warrant the use of an editor.

But also the LFO section has this problem in even a single layer since you control four of them using the same controls... also a lot of the essential parameters are hidden away in the MISC PARAMETERS section... also try programming the four gated sequencers effectively from that small stepped display... using a screen with all four lined up perfectly under each other is a lot easier... not to mention the mod matrix as well.

In short: REV2 is in no way a one-knob-per-function synth... it cannot be with all those parameters... thus having a good editor is crucial to me at least... especially when you start to mess with creating stacked programs... then it's really handy to be able to quickly see and edit both layers at the same time because the two sounds very often play together a lot. Programming from an editor saves a h*** of a lot of time too.

That's my explanation of why editors are popular :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:42:35 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2018, 12:09:34 PM »
Hi codeKnobs and fellow board members,

I've been trying out the trial version in Ableton Live 10, i see your specs specify that you can have multiple instances of the VST.

I've tried 2 tracks with 2 differents presets set.

When i add some midi in one track then some midi in another track in "song mode" for instance, well it plays the active one but doesn't play anything in the second track. (I made sure both tracks aren't playing at the same time as i guess this doesn't make sense)

Is is possible to switch automatically to the active instance ?

Thanks,
James