3 questions regarding the effects

panic

3 questions regarding the effects
« on: November 09, 2017, 09:35:20 AM »
Hello,

I currently own the mopho-tetra combination, and have been reading up on the rev 2. I was very sad to see that the control interface for the gated sequencer has not been carried over from the prophet 8, since it was my primary reason for wanting to upgrade. Still, the new package looks very impressive, but leaves me with some quite specific questions.
First question: what is the range of the ringmod? Can the carrier go below audio range, allowing tremolo effects?
Second question: when controlling effect parameters with LFO 1, since the LFOs are per voice, which LFO1 is actually used. That of voice 1? (question goes for all the mod sources, just using the LFO as example)
Third question: using audio through the sequencer input, does this allow beat sync or only tempo sync of the sequencers (poly and gated)? I suppose not for the gated (seems difficult to apply to me), but one can hope...

(edit: ok, 2 effect questions and one other)

Re: 3 questions regarding the effects
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 10:29:53 AM »
Hello,

I currently own the mopho-tetra combination, and have been reading up on the rev 2. I was very sad to see that the control interface for the gated sequencer has not been carried over from the prophet 8, since it was my primary reason for wanting to upgrade. Still, the new package looks very impressive, but leaves me with some quite specific questions.
First question: what is the range of the ringmod? Can the carrier go below audio range, allowing tremolo effects?
Second question: when controlling effect parameters with LFO 1, since the LFOs are per voice, which LFO1 is actually used. That of voice 1? (question goes for all the mod sources, just using the LFO as example)
Third question: using audio through the sequencer input, does this allow beat sync or only tempo sync of the sequencers (poly and gated)? I suppose not for the gated (seems difficult to apply to me), but one can hope...

(edit: ok, 2 effect questions and one other)

Hey bud I don't quite understand what your asking enough to give proper answers but I'll try.

Ringmod does do a sort of tremolo but really only at its very lowest setting. Its usable but far from tweakable. I wouldn't rely on it for any actual trem style sounds or expect it to be anything like the slower settings of an analog ring mod.

As far as the LFO voice thing when modulating FX, I really just don't know. I've never thought about it even though I use LFO on fx params all of the time. It just kind of works. It doesn't even really re trigger strangely or anything like that. I think you might be thinking of the LFO per voice thing too much.

The LFOs exist on their own. You have 4 of them. When you use one to control something like the filter or OSC, they act per voice because the things being modulated are per voice. Its the same LFO multiplied by you voice count. When you modulate the FX params, its just an LFO modulating the param and it doesn't really use or interact with any kind of voice count.

No idea about the seq thing.

panic

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 01:04:04 PM »
I somehow doubt that they would throw in an additional 4 lfos, 4 sequencers and 3 env just to control 2 effect parameters... but even if they did, I would like to know how the triggering works. An effect I really like and use a lot on guitar is having an envelope control phaser speed. Perhaps someone can do a simple test for me with a simple patch, route env 3 with fast attack and moderate decay (no sustain) to phaser speed. Play the voices one by one and describe What happens?

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 06:22:32 PM »
I somehow doubt that they would throw in an additional 4 lfos, 4 sequencers and 3 env just to control 2 effect parameters... but even if they did, I would like to know how the triggering works. An effect I really like and use a lot on guitar is having an envelope control phaser speed. Perhaps someone can do a simple test for me with a simple patch, route env 3 with fast attack and moderate decay (no sustain) to phaser speed. Play the voices one by one and describe What happens?

It works as expected if hitting the notes one by one. No matter how many times you press.

If you play multiple notes, however, it stays at the sustain level until you let go of all of the notes and start over.

panic

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 02:04:18 AM »
That is excellent, thank you very much for trying! (And does sound like eg specifically for effects)