Running a Tetra on a pedalboard

Running a Tetra on a pedalboard
« on: November 09, 2017, 08:53:34 AM »
I know I'm maybe a bit weird, but I like to put my Tetra on my pedalboard along with my stompboxes. I would, however, love to get rid of the wall wart power supply since everything else is running off my Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus power supply.

Is it possible to use this power supply to power a Tetra? It's rated at 13.5 volt. Not sure how many mA it will draw, but the PP2+ has 2 250mA outputs able to run at 12V (unregulated). When I measured the output, however, I found that they were actually running at 16.8V. That's a bit disconcerting and for that reason I've not tried hooking up the Tetra, but I have several stompboxes rated at 12V that has been running fine on those outputs. But maybe stompboxes are designed to handle those kinds of conditions better?

Re: Running a Tetra on a pedalboard
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 12:51:30 PM »
The Tetra requires 450mA, you can read the current and voltage requirements on the Tetra's overlay right above the power jack. We accept any DC voltage between 13-15v, center pin positive.

So, the Voodoo PSU will not provide enough current if it only supplies 250mA available. Further, while no damage will occur by running a lower voltage than we've specified (assuming you have enough current), the analog waveshapes tend to fall apart pretty quickly when underpowered. This can result in anything from incorrect oscillator pitch to crackling to other undesired effects.

Running voltage above the maximum specified 15v DC *will* damage the Tetra.

In other words, no, the Voodoo PSU will not work for the Tetra. You'll need to find another suitable replacement that supplies the proper minimum current and is within the specified voltage range.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 05:02:21 AM »
I had the same question but was looking at the Cioks DC7 for this purpose.
It quotes 400mA at 15V so slighly under spec for current draw.
But I think linking two outputs can double the current capacity.
I wondered whether you had experience of it and whether the voltage will definintely not exceed the rated for the Tetra.
Any info appreciated.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 07:05:48 AM »
I run my Tetra on a pedaltrain, and stick the wall wart under the board. I couldn't fund a suitable power supply