Push turn move book by Kim Bjorn

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Push turn move book by Kim Bjorn
« on: October 13, 2017, 01:47:32 AM »
I wasn't aware of the Kickstarter campaign, but this amazing book is now available for order. I did order it today, when it has arrived, I will write some more about it:
https://www.pushturnmove.com/

There is a review by Synth Anatomy and apparently there is an interview with Dave included in the book

His review convinced me to buy it straight away.

I do love beautifully crafted and high quality good looking books. For me a good book is so much more enjoyable than a Youtube video/review, I am definitely getting older…....  ;)
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Re: Push turn move book by Kim Bjorn
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 01:52:08 AM »
I wasn't aware of the Kickstarter campaign, but this amazing book is now available for order. I did order it today, when it has arrived, I will write some more about it:
https://www.pushturnmove.com/

There is a review by Synth Anatomy and apparently there is an interview with Dave included in the book

His review convinced me to buy it straight away.

I do love beautifully crafted and high quality good looking books. For me a good book is so much more enjoyable than a Youtube video/review, I am definitely getting older…....  ;)
Thank you for sharing Gerry. This looks very interesting.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 03:24:32 AM »
I backed the project. The book should arrive in 1 or 2 weeks. Haven't watched the review yet as I was planning to do a review myself and also don't wanna get spoiled in advance.

All I can say is that they put a lot of effort into it and this has been among those Kickstarter campaigns that have been incredibly well communicated and stayed on time.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 06:48:10 AM »
I backed the project. The book should arrive in 1 or 2 weeks. Haven't watched the review yet as I was planning to do a review myself and also don't wanna get spoiled in advance.

All I can say is that they put a lot of effort into it and this has been among those Kickstarter campaigns that have been incredibly well communicated and stayed on time.
The book arrived yesterday and I haven't been able to put it down, absolutely marvelous. It oozes quality, it is very up to date (till first quarter of 2017 I believe), it covers a lot of design principles, with clear examples and beautiful photographs, I love it. It is so great the book puts the "user" in the center. The interviews, at least the once I read so far, are very special. They are very detailed and some of them are deeply personal (Suzanne Ciani's for example).

I don't want to get into your way Paul. As I am lazy anyway, I won't say much more about the book  ;). One thing is sure, I will use the design principles the book covers to help me in selecting my next piece of hardware. All I can say, just buy it!

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 06:57:50 AM »
I completely agree. It's a really well done book for those who are interested in interface design and don't think of it as something like a superficial add-on, but instead as the essential ingredient of what turns an instrument into an instrument.

Those who expect just another synth book about sound, voice architecture, analog or digital, and different types of synthesis should hold off, though. But that's also why I think this book was overdue as a worthy addition to classics like Mark Vail's The Synthesizer or Trevor Pinch's Analog Days.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 07:10:58 AM »
I completely agree. It's a really well done book for those who are interested in interface design and don't think of it as something like a superficial add-on, but instead as the essential ingredient of what turns an instrument into an instrument.

Those who expect just another synth book about sound, voice architecture, analog or digital, and different types of synthesis should hold off, though. But that's also why I think this book was overdue as a worthy addition to classics like Mark Vail's The Synthesizer or Trevor Pinch's Analog Days.
Very good point and well said Paul, thanks.