Vocoders. What do we use?

Vocoders. What do we use?
« on: November 08, 2017, 04:19:19 AM »
Hi all,

Using my Korg DVP1 Voice processor and Boss SE50 as my Vocoding effects I thought it interesting to ask others what they use for Vocoding/Harmonising effects?

After using my DVP1 since 1991 I wanted the ability to have a separate carrier and modulator  as opposed to the fixed carrier on the DVP1.

The Boss SE50 offers that but at 7 bands for the vocoder.

Sounds great and very Battlestar Galactica to my ears but is there an unearthed "Hardware"gem so to speak for vocoder and harmoniser duties currently without VSTs?

Maybe even progressively moving past the 70s/80s Mr Blue Sky run ?? (I do love it thought!!)

Cheers

Tim
Tim

Re: Vocoders. What do we use?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 04:30:31 AM »
I have seen talk on Behringer forums about a "Possible" reissue of the Roland SV350 but I guess talk is cheap until it happens.

Actually is that market big anymore?

Tim

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 04:42:16 AM »
Currently I just run my vocals through effects pedals like harmonizers, delays etc but I'm looking at getting the TC Helicon VoiceLive Rack.

Speaking of Vocoders. Will we ever see an analog vocoder again? Not so much for voice but a lot of times they would be used for string type sounds....in fact the strings that Vangelis played during the End Titles of Blade Runner were from a vocoder.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 04:54:12 AM »
Well if the supposed Behringer SVC 350 imitation is to be invisioned then maybe an analogue vocoder may live again, but is it just "Vapourware"?

The strings on the end credits of Blade runner are just brilliant!

Tim

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 05:17:02 AM »
Sorry Roland VP330 is what I meant not the SVC 350..Excuse the error!
Tim

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 03:31:27 PM »
Actually a paraphonic analog string machine that also has mic and guitar inputs would be pretty unique in today’s market.