Pro2 sequencer - play along with sequence

sofine

Pro2 sequencer - play along with sequence
« on: January 09, 2016, 04:57:11 AM »
Hi folks,

So I've been trying to decide between a Pro2, P6 and P12 and I'm 99% convinced to go with the Pro2 having now demo'd all 3. The Pro2 was a real sleeper for me, can't believe how good it sounds and how powerful it is.

I was convinced until today to go for the P6, but I have a Juno 106 (with Kiwi mod) to keep my poly needs at bay for the moment.

Of course, I'm going to wait until NAMM to see what DSI are releasing before I buy, but unless its something amazing, I'll get the PRo2.

Anyway, to my question (sorry!) - while I Was demoing the Pro2, I couldn't find a way to sequence 1 ,2 or 3 of the oscs and leave 1 available for me to play over the sequencer line. I know I can send a midi seq to an exrternak synth and play along that way, but it would be nice to be able to do this all in the 1 box. Am I missing something or is this a current limitation - and if so, has there been any indication that this is on the roadmap?

Thanks guys

Simon

Re: Pro2 sequencer - play along with sequence
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 05:07:16 AM »
Hi Simon,

DSI have hinted that they are re-visiting the PRO2 sequencer to make improvements so they may add something like this.

It might be worth you emailing them with a feature request.

sofine

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 05:18:56 AM »
Thanks Bob.

I'll get the Pro2 regardless - tis amazing so it is.

I'll send through an email to DSI too.

I'll hold off to see how exciting the Pro 3, Pro 1mk 2, Prophet 3 or whatever derivation / new concoction DSi have conjured up for NAMM is  :)

Cheers,

Simon

dslsynth

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 05:20:29 AM »
Of course, I'm going to wait until NAMM to see what DSI are releasing before I buy

Good style! Always expect the unexpected at NAMM. Some years have plenty of goodies while others have not.

:-X . o O ( gear inquisition )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

sofine

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 05:26:42 AM »
Of course, I'm going to wait until NAMM to see what DSI are releasing before I buy

Good style! Always expect the unexpected at NAMM. Some years have plenty of goodies while others have not.

:-X . o O ( gear inquisition )

Indeed :) There's rumours of Korg doing an Arp 2600 - this may throw a spanner in the works!

dslsynth

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 06:12:07 AM »
Indeed :) There's rumours of Korg doing an Arp 2600 - this may throw a spanner in the works!

Once Korg have the analog electronics skills ready the digitally controlled analog machines they can make could end up being very interesting in the future. Also given the software development muscle Korg have available and the techniques they have developed for their boxed softsynths there is a real chance Korg may be able to transfer some of that insight into their digital control whereby having the potential to make some very interesting analog and hybrid analog/digital machines. Wish DSI have that kind of expertise and resources available!

The Arp 2600 is such an iconic machine that it would be great to see a reissue with modern parts.

I understand why you like the Pro 2. Its the most advanced voice DSI have made so far featuring a great sequencer and great sounding filters including a unique interpolation between series and parallel filter configurations. Would love to see that in a new voice hopefully polyphonic, multi-timbral and with layers.
#!/bin/sh

sofine

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 06:18:56 AM »
DSI have segmented the market quite well (for them, frustrating for us!), similar to how Elektron have done it. You might have a clear favourite unit, but there's always a feature or two from others in the range that you wish they had incorporated - technical limitations aside.

dslsynth

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 06:42:53 AM »
Good point! One can only hope DSI will one day come to their senses and make interesting desktop modules which targets a less segmented more affordable market than their current flagship jewellery.

Do you plan to get eurorack modules such as analog oscillators for your Pro 2? Already have some eurorack modules in your setup?
#!/bin/sh

sofine

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »
I'm proud of my resolve over the years in avoiding the modular rabbit hole.

I do have a voyager, CP251, MP201 and moogerfoogers though.

I'd still be interested in the pro2 even without the CVIO, but I look forward to syncing the moogerfoogers.

dslsynth

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 07:48:30 AM »

Wise move! Actually its quite easy to stay out of once one realizes the kind of setup people strive for:
https://vimeo.com/139872178

:o . o O ( Heinzoholics Anonymous )

I have to admit that I have in recent months been dreaming about what a preset manager module similar to the digital control side of Pro 2 could do with a few select eurorack modules.
#!/bin/sh

PaleSkinnySwede

• Synth nerd, composer, remixer
    • PaleSkinnySwede
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 10:28:08 PM »

Wise move! Actually its quite easy to stay out of once one realizes the kind of setup people strive for

But you don't strive for this when you start. It's just an accident waiting to happen. I'm really happy with my 15U 84hp rack filled to the last hp. I can't fit another case at the moment :) Which is good for the economy.
--
David
soundcloud.com/pretorium [ambient/chillout/electronica]
soundcloud.com/mindxpander [space-synth/italo-disco]
soundcloud.com/ypsilon5 [goa-trance]