Tried the Oberheim Two Voice Pro today.

LoboLives

Re: Tried the Oberheim Two Voice Pro today.
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 06:32:35 PM »
I was actually going to suggest Moog take over Oberheim.

The company cultures at DSI and Moog are as far as I understand it quite different at least when observed from the outside. It would be a tough choice to pick one of them.

All I hope for is that Tom Oberheim will be well again soon!

I just think Moog has a much larger operation than DSI and would be more capable of having their own SEM section. I think DSI is only capable of devoting their attention to one thing at a time and thus every year they would have to decide between focusing on an SEM instrument or DSI project.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 07:44:12 PM »
DSI could just maintain the SEM and Two-Voice Pro and leave it at that.  No R+D spent in the Oberheim department.

LoboLives

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 02:50:42 PM »
DSI could just maintain the SEM and Two-Voice Pro and leave it at that.  No R+D spent in the Oberheim department.

I just don’t think DSI have the man power to do that.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 03:05:26 PM »
You're probably right.  But no one could be as fitting for this as Dave.

LoboLives

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 04:38:17 PM »
You're probably right.  But no one could be as fitting for this as Dave.

True.

It almost makes me just want to deal with the Two Voice Pro's flaws and clunky build and get one just because of the legacy it has.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 06:51:40 PM »
I know it isn't the same, but if you want a reliable Oberheim synthesizer, try an OB-6.

Shaw

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 07:15:14 PM »
I know it isn't the same, but if you want a reliable Oberheim synthesizer, try an OB-6.
Marc Doty (in one of his videos) makes a good case for the OB6 in the role of a mono synth.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 07:25:13 PM »
It certainly is an ideal size for a mono synth.  But for that price, you'd want a lot more from it than only melodies.  Sure, a Minimoog is about $3,500, but then you get the Minimoog sound.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:32:05 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 07:41:05 PM »
The main attraction to the Two Voice Pro to me is it is pretty much Tangerine Dream in a box with two separate voices and an incredible on board sequencer.

The OB6 is nice but it’s way too similar to my Prophet 6 and certainly not as versitile as the Two Voice.

I think my only option really is to suck it up and get the Two Voice or get some SEM Pro modules (perhaps four?) and control it via midi with a separate keyboard or Sequentex Cirklon sequencer but the second option is even more of an investment (At least $8000) however at least I can sort of control the overal build quality.

I’m bindge buying in the next few months in picking up the ARPs, a Soundcraft Mixer, a Doepfer Darktime Sequencer And probably a few other things as I’m currently renovating my studio and getting rid of some stuff I don’t use like the Kronos. I have to determine if a $1500 down payment on the TVS Pro is Part of that equation when I won’t be able to use it for at almost a year and when it does arrive I may have to immediately take it to the shop. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2017, 07:48:17 PM »
I have to determine if a $1500 down payment on the TVS Pro is Part of that equation when I won’t be able to use it for at almost a year and when it does arrive I may have to immediately take it to the shop.

Boy, if only all of life's decisions were as easy and obvious as that one!

LoboLives

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 08:06:22 PM »
I have to determine if a $1500 down payment on the TVS Pro is Part of that equation when I won’t be able to use it for at almost a year and when it does arrive I may have to immediately take it to the shop.

I know, it seems like there’s a lot of negatives and it seems like a no brainer but I still keep coming back to it.

chysn

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2017, 08:17:41 PM »

I know, it seems like there’s a lot of negatives and it seems like a no brainer but I still keep coming back to it.

Follow your bliss. Instruments are for the heart. I say, if you want it, go for it. A year isn't that long. If Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer can do a year, then you can do a year. That door won't be open for long.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 06:27:39 PM »

Follow your bliss. Instruments are for the heart. I say, if you want it, go for it. A year isn't that long. If Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer can do a year, then you can do a year. That door won't be open for long.

Yeah that’s my feeling. Just sort of curious now that if I have to wait almost a year for it would it be better to just go big or go home and get four SEMs. When I was telling the store about it they were really excited and said they would help me figure out how to hook them all up. They even said they would cut me a deal price wise.

Ironic that the choice before was ARP vs Oberheim but now it’s  like ARPs for sure and maybe the Oberheim.

LoboLives

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 04:28:01 AM »
Aww screw it. Life is short. What the hell. :)