chord memory limited to just 4 notes?

chord memory limited to just 4 notes?
« on: November 06, 2017, 06:25:03 AM »
Am I correct that chord memory is limited to just 4 notes?

I don't get more out if it, although I have a 16voice REV2...
I don't see anywhere in the manual that chord memory has specific limitations in amount of notes.

Thanks!

Re: chord memory limited to just 4 notes?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 11:23:03 AM »
Chord mode for Unison is capped at 6 notes.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 11:43:24 AM »
Strange, I really only get 4 voices max.

6 is what I would expect, more than that is not really necessary.

But when I play a bass note and 4 other chord notes on top of that (makes 5 notes in total) I only get the bass note + the lowest 3 notes of the chord when I hit 'UNISON'.

Wonder if other people have the same problem?

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 11:50:31 AM »
Actually, I spoke too soon. It does appear to be 4 voices presently. Sorry for the confusion.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 12:03:53 PM »
And is that what it should be from the specs? I don't find any numbers about that.
It's really not enough for a polysynth, especially a 16V one...

The polysix has 6 voices, and in chord mode you can use 6 voices and  play chords with max 6 notes. Simple as that.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 01:27:36 PM »
And is that what it should be from the specs? I don't find any numbers about that.
It's really not enough for a polysynth, especially a 16V one...

The polysix has 6 voices, and in chord mode you can use 6 voices and  play chords with max 6 notes. Simple as that.

The PolySix does not split 4+4, though.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 02:47:41 PM »
No, the Poly6 doesn't, and I guess I need 4+4 a lot less than making nice and beautiful 5- or 6 voicing chords in chord memory mode... :-)

And by the way, even with the 16V 6+6 should be possible, just sayin'...

it would be nice to have some more flexibility with options like these...

4+4 for those who want, 6v for those who want to memorize more advanced chords and/or go a little bit old-school yeah...

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:01:50 PM by luk.vermeir@gmail.com »

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 02:51:28 PM »
No, the Poly6 doesn't, and I guess I need 4+4 a lot less than making nice and beautiful 5- or 6 voicing chords in chord memory mode... :-)

And by the way, even with the 16V 6+6 should be possible, just sayin'...

it would be nice to have some more flexibility in options like these...

4+4 for those who want, 6v for those who want to memorize more advanced chords and/or go a little bit old-school yeah...

Wasn't trying to be sarcastic–for 8-voice Rev2 units, it would make sense that the chord memory maxes out at four notes, when using split or layered patches.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 02:56:50 PM »
Yeah, but why did I buy a 16v then, if I can't even stack 5 notes into one chord memory patch...

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 03:09:25 PM »
It's tough to recall specifically from development exactly why we limited it to 4 voices. I've made a note internally to look at this when we circle around to the Prophet Rev2 OS next.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 03:18:17 PM »
Can't speak for DSI, but p52 from the manual says:

If you save a program that uses chord memory, the chord is saved with the program.

If you copy a non-split or layered program into a layer / split, and the chord has more than four notes saved, how would the unit consistently allocate the voices on an eight-voice unit (4 voices available per split / layer)?

The four-note chord thing seems pretty sensible: regardless of voice count (4- / 8- / 16-voice), the same notes will be played with no voice robbing, no configuration to poll ("Am I an 8- or 16-voice unit? Split or layered mode?") during voice assignment, and with portability of the chord with the program itself.

I see your point: it'd be nice to have larger mega-chords that would make use of the unit's polyphony (e.g., the PPG Wave's interval assignment in unison mode), but at the cost of increased complexity for each of four modes (4+4, 8, 8+8, 16), would it be worth it?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:27:29 PM by DavidDever »

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 04:27:48 PM »
Could it be that multimode is on so it only allows 4 voices per layer?

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 12:59:41 AM »
I've made a note internally to look at this when we circle around to the Prophet Rev2 OS next.

That would be great, thanks!

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 01:00:33 AM »
Could it be that multimode is on so it only allows 4 voices per layer?

negative, multimode = off

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 01:08:05 AM »
Can't speak for DSI, but p52 from the manual says:

If you save a program that uses chord memory, the chord is saved with the program.

If you copy a non-split or layered program into a layer / split, and the chord has more than four notes saved, how would the unit consistently allocate the voices on an eight-voice unit (4 voices available per split / layer)?

The four-note chord thing seems pretty sensible: regardless of voice count (4- / 8- / 16-voice), the same notes will be played with no voice robbing, no configuration to poll ("Am I an 8- or 16-voice unit? Split or layered mode?") during voice assignment, and with portability of the chord with the program itself.

I see your point: it'd be nice to have larger mega-chords that would make use of the unit's polyphony (e.g., the PPG Wave's interval assignment in unison mode), but at the cost of increased complexity for each of four modes (4+4, 8, 8+8, 16), would it be worth it?

As a 16V owner, I don't want any limitations because of the other instrument I didn't buy, and I don't have any plans to swap presets with a prophet 8 / rev 2 8 voice or whatever. And if I would, in that case I could live with the fact I lost one or two voices, as I choose to buy an instrument with less voices.

But actually, 16V or 8V doesn't matter, I really do believe there are quite some 8v owners out there who want to be able to memorize a fine 5 or 6- note chord voicing.

I'm really not looking into MEGA-chords, it's really not that complex or uncommon what I ask: just a root with a nice 4 - or 5 note chord on top. That's something very common in so many genres, from jazz to pop and even house music... 

I also believe to remember that it was possible on a Prophet 6 (not even counting 8 or 16 voices).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:15:27 AM by luk.vermeir@gmail.com »

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 04:39:30 AM »
I also believe to remember that it was possible on a Prophet 6 (not even counting 8 or 16 voices).

Right - because the Prophet-6 / OB-6 only has one mode, with six voices, no splits or layers.

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 06:26:00 AM »
Right - because the Prophet-6 / OB-6 only has one mode, with six voices, no splits or layers.

yes indeed, and the REV2 16V has more voices than 2x6 = 12V :)

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 07:27:29 AM »
Not sure if this actually is possibly, just a thought. Could you simulate 4+ note chords with identical patches on both layers? But oscillators of higher end patch tuned 2 or 3 octaves higher. Split the keyboard at exactly the octaves difference. Obviously you will be loosing layering, but could it now hold up to two 4 note chords?
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 07:37:25 AM »
Don't even need to have this possible in layers or splits...

Sometimes things can be just easy or simple too:

I just want to be able to program a patch with 5 or 6 voices in chord memory, like you can do without any problems on a Prophet 6 and even on a Polysix of more than 30 years old.

Nothing more than that...

Really can't dig why that shouldn't be possible on a synth that has more than twice the voices available...

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 07:47:58 AM »
Don't even need to have this possible in layers or splits...

Sometimes things can be just easy or simple too:

I just want to be able to program a patch with 5 or 6 voices in chord memory, like you can do without any problems on a Prophet 6 and even on a Polysix of more than 30 years old.

Nothing more than that...

Really can't dig why that shouldn't be possible on a synth that has more than twice the voices available...
Yes I get what you are saying. Personally I haven't felt restraint yet by the Rev2. But I am a non-musician. Can't really play and use internal + external sequencers. Kind of need to take my time to compose and generate the emotional content I am aiming for. Lot more practicing to do before I go live  :)
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.