usb midi bridge to din w/daw

usb midi bridge to din w/daw
« on: November 01, 2017, 07:48:37 PM »
Hello all,

I'm looking to control my Evolver desktop with my daw and midi controller. My setup is as follows: windows 7 laptop with Ableton live 9, Novation launchkey 25, Focusrite 2i2 audio interface, Midiplus Tbox 2x2 midi interface and of course the "Evolver". I'm able to trigger the Evolver directly from the front panel and monitor the output through the audio interface. Now I'm looking to trigger the Evolver within Ableton using the launchkey 25. In Ableton/options/prferences/midi both the lauchkey and midi interface appear. What settings should be enabled/disabled? Thanks!

vtw2k

chysn

Re: usb midi bridge to din w/daw
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 08:15:21 PM »
Hey!

If I understand your question and intentions correctly, you want to set your Launchkey as a control surface in the MIDI settings. Then, under MIDI ports, you probably have two Launchkey ins (one for the keyboard, and one for the control surface) and two Launchkey outs (ditto), and then a couple ins and outs for your MIDI interface (with one of those outs going to the Evolver).

Set the "Track" and "Remote" boxes to On for the control surface. Now you can assign clips to the pads, use the faders to control the mixer, etc.

Leave "Track", "Remote", and "Sync" Off for the other MIDI devices. This will allow you to use the keyboard to trigger Evolver notes.

Once those settings are made, close the Preferences panel and switch over to the Session view. Set the "MIDI From" dropdown on one of the tracks to the Launchkey's MIDI (the one that's not the control surface), and the "MIDI To" dropdown to the interface going to the Evolver. Make sure that the Launchkey's output channel matches the Evolver's input channel.

And that should do it!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:29:56 PM »
Thanks for the quick response! Just a few bugs to correct, will post results tomorrow.

vtw2k

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 10:33:36 PM »
OK,

I've got the parameters in Ableton set up as you mentioned. Evolver's midi parameters are set as follows: midi rec-all, midi xmit- all, midi chan-1, midi clock-out. then I have trigger select-all and key off/xpose to -36. There's some reason on my end why I'm still not able to trigger the evolver within Ableton. When I play a key on the launchkey 25 the midi track in indicator blinks and the midi interface's midi in light is on and I have both midi cables attached out to in and in to out. I attached some screen shots of how I have things set up in Ableton. Thanks again!!

vtw2k

chysn

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »
In Preferences, for one of those Launchkey outputs (I'm not sure which one, but I suspect "Launchkey 25"), you'll want to turn "Remote" to "Off." The Remote setting is for mapping MIDI events to controls in Ableton (for example, launching clips or starting and stopping playback). You want to send actual MIDI notes to the Evolver instead, so you'll need to turn Remote off for the Launchkey port that's connected to the keyboard.

Also, in the Session View's "MIDI From" setting, I think you want to select "Launchkey 25" from the dropdown instead of "Launchkey input." You might need to experiment with that to find out which of the Launchkey's ports actually comes from the keyboard instead of the pads.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:18:52 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 08:39:26 PM »
  Hi,

I did it,  I did I tell you! Between the replies here and this article https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209774265-Using-external-hardware-with-Live. This should get anyone get anyone to trigger Evolver within Ableton with the midi controller of their liking.

vtw2k