Tempest Multi-Timbrality

Tempest Multi-Timbrality
« on: November 01, 2017, 12:27:15 PM »
Just curious to know if the Tempest has MIDI Multi-Timbrality.
One MIDI channel per voice or per sound within a kit.

Since there was an OS update I'm a little confused as to what info to trust online or not.

Re: Tempest Multi-Timbrality
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 11:12:54 PM »
So first let me try to clear the confusion.

A synthesizer or sampler is multitimbral if it is capable of producing more than one type of sound or timbre (pronounced tam bur) at a time. Usually this is described as the number of “parts” a unit can play at once. For example, a Kurzweil K2500 is 16-part multitimbral, meaning it can produce 16 different sounds at once (a sound being defined as a single patch or preset; part one might be piano, part two strings, part three trombone, part four flute, and so on. Generally these parts are assigned to different MIDI channels for independent control).

Emphasis on the "generally", but this does not itself mean multi-timbral.
Tempest is a 32-part multitimbral 6-voice synth. In one "beat" it can have have 32 different "sounds" (patches) loaded up (16 beats loaded at the same time). So if you are controllings "sounds" via MIDI then you have access to 32 different patches, all on one channel. So everything is on ONE channel, EXCEPT! one sound. You can set up one sound on a different channel, allowing it to be played as a polyphonic synth over MIDI.
This is just the MIDI setup of the Tempest. The builtin sequencer however can play every sound at any key.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 07:08:20 AM »
Can you describe what exactly you want to achieve?
For example T’s internal sequencer can output only 1 channel to control externally a sound module..
(From the manual)
MIDI: Sequencer Out Channel: Off, 1...16—Selects the channel used to output MIDI note number messages from a Sound’s sequencer track.

There’s also a remote pad play...
(From the manual)
Remote Pad OUT Channel: Off, 1...16—Sets the channel on which Tempest’s pads transmit MIDI note and velocity data. The pads transmit MIDI data in 16 Sounds, 16 Tunings, and 16 Levels modes. When 16 Sounds is selected, pressing a sound pad sends the MIDI note number assigned to the Pad in “4-35 MIDI Note: Pad A1-B16” described on the following page. When set to Off, note and velocity messages are not transmitted (but clock and start/stop/ continue messages are).

As you can see only one channel at a time in each scenario...I bet you wanted each pad to output data on different channel like pad1->ch.1,pad2->ch.2 right?Yeap we all wanted that... :P

Since there was an OS update I'm a little confused as to what info to trust online or not.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 07:13:46 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 07:39:20 AM »

It's a difficult question to answer with a 'yes' or 'no'!

You can control all 32 sounds via external MIDI but these are just gate triggers so only good for triggering drum sounds, NOT melodic synth lines.

In addition to this you can sequence ONE of the Tempest's sounds melodically (and polyphonically).
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 05:41:56 AM »

You can control all 32 sounds via external MIDI but these are just gate triggers so only good for triggering drum sounds, NOT melodic synth lines.

Thanks thats what I wanted to know.

I don't own a tempest but I was curious to know if i could program a few percussion channels (triggered form an external sequencer) and keep one synth voice for a bassline (also triggered+pitched with an external sequencer but on a different MIDI channel).
Could i use MIDI CC to control that voice's pitch?

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 10:09:06 PM »

Thanks thats what I wanted to know.

I don't own a tempest but I was curious to know if i could program a few percussion channels (triggered form an external sequencer) and keep one synth voice for a bassline (also triggered+pitched with an external sequencer but on a different MIDI channel).
Could i use MIDI CC to control that voice's pitch?

All 32 "patches" are on ONE channel + 1 "patch" is on a separate channel (allowing polyphonic play).
So put your bassline on the polyphonic channel and you will be able to play it as a normal synth.
Rest of the 31 "patches" will be on one channel. Each will correspond to one note. There are a lot of tricks one could do to make to make these sounds alter pitch. Route velocity to pitch etc....