Prophet 6 bug with missing and ghosts notes

Prophet 6 bug with missing and ghosts notes
« on: October 31, 2017, 09:32:16 AM »
Hi!

I’m creating this post because I have big problems with my prophet 6 module which makes it almost unusable.
More precisely, the sounds of the synth is OK but its behavior when receiving MIDI (via MIDI or USB) is completely erratic. When I launch a sequence from Ableton, some notes are played, others not and the notes that are “missed” are not the same from one loop of the sequence to the other: the way it bugs is completely unpredictable. When I use the arpeggiator, the problem is not “missed” notes anymore but “ghost notes” that are launched – again in a completely unpredictable way – during the arpeggiator sequence. I tried to reset the global parameters, it didn’t work. I also re-installed the latests OS, it didn’t change a thing. I noticed that the synth is particularly unusable in polyphonic mode but in unison it seems less bugged (even though I still don’t have regular sequences). I thought it was a software problem but since I did the update I’m afraid it is hardware. It started 3 or 4 months ago with just the arpeggiator bug (which was not too important to me) but now it spread to the entire system.

Did you ever saw this kind of general malfunction of the prophet 6 module happen?

Thanks

Re: Prophet 6 bug with missing and ghosts notes
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 09:42:48 AM »
That does not sound like a bug, but a MIDI loop issue. Make sure that you turn off "local control" in the global parameters.

Also make sure that any MIDI Thru functionality is deactivated on the MIDI interface you use. To check, whether your Prophet-6 is actually doing alright, disconnect all MIDI connections and see if the problem persists. Also make sure to never use MIDI In and the USB connection at the same time.

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 03:02:42 PM »
I encountered something like this (rapid arp notes I had drawn in Cubase were being occasionally skipped) and was puzzled at first because I eliminated a MIDI loop as a culprit.  Same MIDI data exhibited same behavior with all external synths, but not VSTs.

Turns out I had set my buffer size to 256 with 48k sample rate, and my audio interface didn't like this combination.. maybe that's a USB thing.  Dropping the buffer size fixed it.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

llest

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 08:26:28 AM »
I'm having the same problem. Prophet 6 simply skips some notes sent from Ableton. It shouldn't be a midi-loop thing as I haven't connected the Prophet with Ableton via the midi through port. Midi out port shouldn't simply pass the incoming notes on.