Mopho Keyboard keybed replacement

Mopho Keyboard keybed replacement
« on: October 28, 2017, 10:33:55 AM »
While I was in SF yesterday, I picked up a replacement keybed for my Mopho Keyboard from DSI.  I was in a bit of a hurry, so I didn't get to chat, but Carson had said step-by-step instructions were available to swap out the keybed.  I scoured the web and this forum, and came up empty.

I sent them an email, but it's Saturday and they probably won't answer until Monday.  Does anyone have these instructions?  I'm not a complete dufus, but I've never swapped a keybed out and would prefer a guide to exploratory surgery on my part.

Thanks,

Josh

Re: Mopho Keyboard keybed replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 10:55:50 AM »
Nevermind - this is for key by key replacement - it's a whole keybed.  I think I'm just gonna open it up and see what happens.  It's not under warranty anyways.

I may have answered my own question.  This is for a P-08 but should be applicable.

https://davesmithinstruments.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201389640-Prophet-08-Keyboard-Key-Replacement-Guide
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:57:48 AM by northerntao »

chysn

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 02:59:37 PM »
Keybed should be pretty easy if you're comfortable taking anything apart. The Mopho case is pretty roomy for what it has to house, and it's probably just a few screws and one or two connectors.

My usual practice, when taking something apart, is to take a picture of the connections so that I can orient them properly on re-assembly.

My keybed story: Back in the early 90s, somebody (maybe me, but who remembers?) spilled Pepsi in my Akai AX73, and the keybed got all sticky. I removed it completely and soaked it in a warm bathtub, and it turned out all right.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 10:33:30 AM »
Here are the official instructions from DSI.

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/mopho-keyboard-keybed-removal/

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 03:09:34 PM »
Couple of questions related to this:

1. Northerntao, how much was the keybed? I've been wondering about a replacement for mine as well.

2. Keys on mine have been extremely loose and "clacky" sounding. However, I'm curious if just new springs for the keys would help out? Doesn't seem like there's much else to the keybed that would cause that.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 08:12:46 PM »
Couple of questions related to this:

1. Northerntao, how much was the keybed? I've been wondering about a replacement for mine as well.

2. Keys on mine have been extremely loose and "clacky" sounding. However, I'm curious if just new springs for the keys would help out? Doesn't seem like there's much else to the keybed that would cause that.

I don't think it'd be the springs, to be honest, but the bushings under the keys.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000