P08 versus Rev2 sound wise

Quai34

• FORMER PROFESSOR AT THE UNIVERSITY OF SAINT-BONIFA
P08 versus Rev2 sound wise
« on: October 27, 2017, 01:39:45 AM »
Hi,
Maybe a stupid question but, besides the extra features, what is the interest to get a Rev2 if you already have a P08 in term of sound? The Rev2 won't bring any sonic differences compared to my P08 right? So, if you are not using a lot split or step sequencer with your P08, there is no reason/interest in getting a Rev2?
Sincerely
Stage 2, NL2X+TC Pedals, Nord C2, Matrix 1000 X2, Proteus 2000, Prophet 12 & P08//Tetra+Eventide H9, TX802, Roland D50+PG1000, AX5080, AX keytar, Waldorf Streichfett, 2 Yorkville PS-10P, Bass: Ibanez SR1200+G&L L2000. Guitars: G&L Legacy HSS, Asat Blueboys, Asat Deluxe Savanna, Ibanez Artstar AS153

Re: P08 versus Rev2 sound wise
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 03:40:46 AM »
Hi,
Maybe a stupid question but, besides the extra features, what is the interest to get a Rev2 if you already have a P08 in term of sound? The Rev2 won't bring any sonic differences compared to my P08 right? So, if you are not using a lot split or step sequencer with your P08, there is no reason/interest in getting a Rev2?
Sincerely

Well, there is the sub Osc on the rev 2 plus the effects. The 16 voices would definitely be great for layering. All in all, it's a great update. Just seems riddled with bugs at the moment so once the dust has settled, I will be upgrading from my Pro 08.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 06:25:02 AM »
The Rev2 maintains the classic Prophet '08 sound, while adding quite a bit to it. 

This is a combined list made by Paul Dither and me.  In addition to everything the P’08 has, the REV2 adds:

-   Wave shape modulation of all 4 waveforms
-   Sub octave on oscillator 1
-   Expanded modulation matrix (8 individual slots)
-   Onboard digital effects per layer: reverb, chorus, flanger, phase shifter, standard and BBD delays, ring modulation, and distortion
-   Polyphonic step sequencer per layer (in addition to the old gated step sequencer)
-   512 factory programs and 512 editable user programs (4 banks of 128 each)
-   Sixteen voice polyphony (or eight)
-   New OLED display
-   Improved keyboard
-   Integrated power supply (no "wall wart")
-   USB
-   Added glide and glide rate/time parameters
-   Added HOLD button
-   Redesigned modulation section that allows for immediate selection of sources and destinations (press down the according button and move the parameter that should be the modulator or modulated)
-   Easier to select LFO shapes; also an added button
-   LFO clock sync
-   Added tap tempo button in the clock section
-   Easier to operate sequencer section
-   Easier to select oscillator wave shapes; also an added button
-   Added SHAPE MOD, SUB OCTAVE, and OSC SLOP parameters
-   Oscillator slop based on the Prophet 12, Pro 2, Prophet-6, and OB-6
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 09:42:41 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 07:53:06 AM »
Don't let the list of new features and enhancements in the software distract you. I owned a P '08 and sold it for the REV2. I did not have them in the room at the same time. I did however have the Prophet 6 and the P '08 at the same time and my impression was the Prophet 6 had some magic mojo in it that I could only describe as having a 'premium audiophile-like' quality to the sound. The P 6 made a few other of my analog synths sound not-so-good.

When the REV2 arrived. I had the exact same impression; only more so.

The REV2, in my opinion, is remarkable. The REV2 sound is pristine and beautiful. Not only does the REV2 greatly enhance the physical aspects of the P '08 (which in my opinion is very important), the ease of programmability despite its deep modulation capabilities makes it more accessible when you're in a musical state. The sound however, is the icing on the cake.

I believe it sounds much better than the P'08, even with Sub OSC turned down and effects off.

I'm not a professional musician and my musical skills are marginal. However I have deep appreciation of the work DSI has done with the Prophet REV2.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 01:23:28 PM »

I believe it sounds much better than the P'08, even with Sub OSC turned down and effects off.

Are you sure about that? Why would that be? Are you saying it has a definite improved sound over the original P08? If so, does that mean existing presets will not sound the same when imported into the Rev2?

Quai34

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 12:44:05 AM »
Yes, same question, I'm not a big user of all the modulation capabilities but my question was exactly about the sound.... Is it really sounding much better? If yes, in what way? If yes, presets from 08 won't sound the same? Or is the sound better compared to the "poor/thin/etc" thread I've seen so many time online that has pushed me back for a long time from buying the P08? Because, finally, when I bough the P08, I was extremely pleased with its sound...
Stage 2, NL2X+TC Pedals, Nord C2, Matrix 1000 X2, Proteus 2000, Prophet 12 & P08//Tetra+Eventide H9, TX802, Roland D50+PG1000, AX5080, AX keytar, Waldorf Streichfett, 2 Yorkville PS-10P, Bass: Ibanez SR1200+G&L L2000. Guitars: G&L Legacy HSS, Asat Blueboys, Asat Deluxe Savanna, Ibanez Artstar AS153

Quai34

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 01:01:32 AM »
The second question behind this is:
I have a P08, a P12. Would it be a better idea to NOT sell the P08 and NOT lose money on it with the replacement by the Rev2, knowing that I haven't scratched the surface of my P08, in order to buy an OB6 module....
I had the same kind of question, again, sound palette wise, on Nord User Forum when I had asked if I should buy a Nord Lead 3 because of its supposedly different sound from my Nord Lead 2X and one guy suggested to buy the P08 instead of another Nord (I had at that time, still have, my stage 2 with a synth section...). I think he did a great analysis and gave me a very good suggestion....
My P08 is linked with a Tetra for 12 voices or alone for the Sub Osc....
Ok, sorry, a lot of question but I'm way more looking for different sound palettes than extra features, even if they seem very "juicy"...Not sure if it make sense in English...It makes in French...

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 03:28:32 AM »
Yes, same question, I'm not a big user of all the modulation capabilities but my question was exactly about the sound.... Is it really sounding much better? If yes, in what way? If yes, presets from 08 won't sound the same? Or is the sound better compared to the "poor/thin/etc" thread I've seen so many time online that has pushed me back for a long time from buying the P08? Because, finally, when I bough the P08, I was extremely pleased with its sound...

At the risk of falling back to clichés, it's punchier, with a greater dynamic range and lower noise floor, but the difference is better heard on some patches than others. Note that the patches themselves basically line up, so the timbre and response is the same, but it's as if you can hear the individual voices better–maybe the voice summing VCA was improved in the Rev2 design....

I have a P08, a P12. Would it be a better idea to NOT sell the P08 and NOT lose money on it with the replacement by the Rev2, knowing that I haven't scratched the surface of my P08, in order to buy an OB6 module....
I had the same kind of question, again, sound palette wise, on Nord User Forum when I had asked if I should buy a Nord Lead 3 because of its supposedly different sound from my Nord Lead 2X and one guy suggested to buy the P08 instead of another Nord (I had at that time, still have, my stage 2 with a synth section...). I think he did a great analysis and gave me a very good suggestion....
My P08 is linked with a Tetra for 12 voices or alone for the Sub Osc....

If you sold your Prophet '08 (keyboard) and Tetra, you'd be close to an 8-voice Rev2 keyboard; the price difference to get to 16 voices is basically equivalent to the price of another Tetra.

You'd get a better keybed, built-in effects per layer, etc., and you'd gain back some mixer channels in the process.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:49:00 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Quai34

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 10:46:14 PM »
Yes, but I Will still be with out an OB6....

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 12:08:48 AM »

OB6 or P6 seem like a step in a separate direction to me.

The Rev2 is a greatly expanded P8 but if you say you haven't "scratched the surface" of your p8, maybe you would be happier with a synth that is more instantly rewarding like the OB-6 or P6. They seem better suited for getting great sounds right away albeit at the expense of the deeper modulations of the P8 and Rev2.

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 06:01:55 AM »

There was a time I couldn't hear much difference between synthesizers other than the obvious. The subtleties were not somthing I was event listening to or even aware of.

Until I took a PLG-AN150 card out of a Yamaha AN200 groovebox/drumm machine and placed it into a Yamaha Motif. The card depends on the host's DA converter. The difference was obvious. The DA converters in the Motif were higher quality and that contributed to a direct enhancement to its sound. The overall fidelity of the PLG-AN150 card in the AN200 Groovebox sounded muted, like a thin wet cloth was placed over the sound. Once the card is in the Motif, it sounded much better. The synth engine is the same (amazing synth engine btw) but the other electronics had a lot to do with its sound.

I had a similar experience between a Akai Miniak (Alesis Ion/Micron). Its synth engine and filters were great... lots of character. But the over fidelity was poor. I sold it and replaced it with a Roland JD-990 which blew my mind. Really. The components delivering the JD-990 sound where premium quality. The Burr-Brown PCM61P DAC has a huge impact on its sound. Replace it with anything else will technically work, however its sound will not be the same.

I have the same opinion of the Kork Minilogue and Novation BassStation II. Greats synths with character, especially for their price. But the overall fidelity is nothing matched to others I have, specifically; Oberheim Matrix 1000, DSI Prophet 6, DSI Prophet REV 2 especially.

The REV2 is likely the result of iterative improvements in the analog summing of voices, possibly higher quality op amps since the P'08 was designed at a time when DSI had to keep the cost down as much as possible with what was available to him at the time.

Again, not an expert, but the REV2, while patch compatible to the P'08, is essentially a new synth with higher speed processors to handle 64 LFOs, 48 envelopes, and realtime modulations to a DSP for the effects. The only similarity between the two is the filter, it's the most significant piece that attributes the character of its sound.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 06:07:05 AM »

I'm way more looking for different sound palettes than extra features,

It sounds like your goal is to expand your sound palette. I therefore think an OB6 would be a better move.

I have the Rev2 and also an '08. When I transfer a sound from the '08 into the Rev2, they sound exactly the same; one does not sound better than the other. When I then start to change the sound using the features only found on the Rev2, the patch can start to sound better. The easiest improvement is being able to easily add effects and then program them right into the patch. The sub osc also helps with certain sounds. I also have found the increased slop range to be an advantage for certain patches. It allows me to get something like the effect of detuning the oscillators with only one oscillator... and that sometimes allows you to do something else with that second oscillator. I think layering the same sound and then using different slop settings (e.g., 15 and 18) for each layer can have a nice warming effect.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:09:47 AM by Jason »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 07:18:23 AM »
I have the Rev2 and also an '08. When I transfer a sound from the '08 into the Rev2, they sound exactly the same; one does not sound better than the other. When I then start to change the sound using the features only found on the Rev2, the patch can start to sound better.

This is an interesting but a predictable debate.

Quai34

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 01:32:45 AM »
Hi all,
Ok, thanks for the very good info, I think I will keep my P08 and continue to save for the OB6...unless Dave releases a P6/OB6 bundle at the Namm with 61 Keys....

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 05:42:27 AM »

But that has absolutely nothing to do with the original question, though :)

Yes, an OB-6 would be different, and the filter really is something special.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000