NEED HELP with sequencer midi notes out

NEED HELP with sequencer midi notes out
« on: October 26, 2017, 09:21:43 PM »
Hi,

need your help here.

I want to control synth in Ableton with tempest sequencer (basically I want the synth to play the same pattern as I have in Tempest - each pad assigned to different MIDI note ).

The problem is: when I press / play pads (or record in real time ) it transmits midi notes to Ableton, but it doesn't happen with recorded sequences / notes.

Just in case - I connect it via USB.

Is there a solution>? Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:23:45 PM by T-Punk »

Re: NEED HELP with sequencer midi notes out
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:58:36 PM »
You can have only one "sound" output its sequencer.

Settings - > MIDI Polyphonic Keyboard Play - > MIDI: Sequencer Sound:
A1…A16, B1...B16—Used to choose the Sound
that plays on the MIDI: Sequencer Out Channel.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 05:29:58 AM »
I thought there are 2 ways of sending MIDI notes from Tempest - the one you described, and another one - assigning MIDI note to each pad and after just "double" the pattern you have in the sequencer to MIDI out (each sound/pad has its own MIDI note ).

So, the second way doesn't exist? Now I can PLAY midi notes from pads, but after I record the pattern it doesn't send anything anymore... Is that right? If so, it's a little bit... hmm... strange... )

RobH

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 11:06:33 AM »
I thought there are 2 ways of sending MIDI notes from Tempest - the one you described, and another one - assigning MIDI note to each pad and after just "double" the pattern you have in the sequencer to MIDI out (each sound/pad has its own MIDI note ).

So, the second way doesn't exist? Now I can PLAY midi notes from pads, but after I record the pattern it doesn't send anything anymore... Is that right? If so, it's a little bit... hmm... strange... )

You can't send more than one pads sequenced midi data at a time, so you can either individually record each drums part one by one, or you can play the best you can and quantise it in the DAW. Sorry mate i had exact same problem not long ago.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 03:23:44 PM »
Yes you can send different midi notes but not from Tempest’s internal sequencer as it can send only 1 channel as described above ^ You can achieve what you’re describing only by recording T’s midi notes inside a DAW..Play T to send midi notes to Ableton and just hit record inside Ableton..

Cheers!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:29:38 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 08:13:09 PM »
Yup, thanks for making this clear... Anyway, it's a bit sad and not so clever. Love Tempest, but it has so many unlogic "sorry this can't be done"...

Yes you can send different midi notes but not from Tempest’s internal sequencer as it can send only 1 channel as described above ^ You can achieve what you’re describing only by recording T’s midi notes inside a DAW..Play T to send midi notes to Ableton and just hit record inside Ableton..

Cheers!

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 07:02:07 AM »
Ye i get what you’re saying..It’s those little details that makes you go huh ??? It’s all about the code they had to squeeze in order to fit the existing features inside T..They had to make hard choices which ones to leave outside and the biggest part of Midi implementation thing was one of them..I know..i know bummer...But T wasn’t envisioned to be the machine that’s now in the first place..It was a work in progress and the team behind it alongside this great community with all these great cats inside (ye i mean all you people out there;)) helping and popping all these great ideas made T what’s now.Bet many times DSI team thought “ahh man...wish it had more memory so we can do more things with it...”
That’s the whole story behind it!

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 05:42:39 AM »
I see... There's an old trick which could be done with many if not every classic drum machines - you program your beat, and after send midi out to a poly synth. After you program midi note for each drum pad, the results are always inspiring, musical, and sometimes it's impossible to reproduce it in another way. You can also mute some of the drum sounds, but still have midi note on the output, and so on... Very simple but effective technic.

LoboLives

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 10:51:03 AM »
I was a bit bummed by this too as I was planning on using the Tempest to control two ARP Odyssey Modules for sequencing parts. Alas I now simply just use its midi out to control bass lines from the Moog. Helps with composing full songs, especially if you have the Moog running a sequence itself and you use the midi out from the Tempest to transpose the sequence. Sequence the sequencer as it were.

Another trick I did was set two or more synths on the same midi channel as the Tempest midi out and create a massive mono monster. Right now I just programmed Carpenter’s Coming To LA from They Live and for the main blues riff I layered the Tempest synth with the Moog and a electric bass sound from the Kurzweil...sounds like a monster.

But Roger is said to be doing the Linn Drum II so who knows what that will be like. 

Cole

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 06:51:17 AM »
I guess the tempest doesn't play well with others because it supposed to be all you need in one box. Isn't that the logic they're going for?

LoboLives

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 12:12:49 PM »
I guess the tempest doesn't play well with others because it supposed to be all you need in one box. Isn't that the logic they're going for?

Nope, they were simply going for an high end analog drum machine that also included a 6 voice analog synthesizer. It was never meant to be a workstation or multitrack sequencer. It's confusing how the father of midi didn't include this but I don't mind at all. You use an instruments limitations as fuel for creativity. This is why I liked that the Tempest didn't have sampling ability but on board sounds. The LM 1, Linn Drum, DMX, hell even the CR-78 didn't have that either but so much music was written with them. I love using the on board samples but those sounds either are classic or they will become classic in the future when they are used in a hit.

So you can only sequence one external mono synth...be creative with that.

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 03:35:47 AM »

Cheers!

Hi guys...

All I want to do is record my sequenced pads in Tempest to ableton. But when I press record in ableton it is not picking up the midi. It is only picking up the midi why I actually play it by hand. Am I doing something wrong or is there a particular setting I have not set up properly?

Regards.

Steve

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 01:27:17 AM »
No you’re not doing something wrong that’s how Tempest transmits Midi by playing it with your hands..Midi implementation is one of T’s weakest points..
Hi guys...

All I want to do is record my sequenced pads in Tempest to ableton. But when I press record in ableton it is not picking up the midi. It is only picking up the midi why I actually play it by hand. Am I doing something wrong or is there a particular setting I have not set up properly?

Regards.

Steve