Random LFO pitch issue

wetfood

Random LFO pitch issue
« on: October 26, 2017, 01:29:31 AM »
when creating a patch with the random LFO modulating the pitch at the highest frequency, the overall pitch rises by about a quarter step. I wonder what that's about... I'd love to use that noisy, breathy effect, but it becomes unplayable with the pitch change. Any workaround here? (aside from using the pitch wheel  ;))

thanks
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:31:11 AM by wetfood »

wetfood

Re: Random LFO pitch issue
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 01:12:55 AM »
Ok, I realized that it behaves this way only when modulating the freqs. Can anyone else confirm this behavior? (freq 1 and 2 with maximum random LFO)

I like the sputtery, pitched noise effect, but sadly it centers the pitch sharp of where it seems it should. I wonder what's going on here... Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:18:28 AM by wetfood »

MMYYKK

• Science
    • MMYYKK
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 10:34:51 PM »
Ok, I realized that it behaves this way only when modulating the freqs. Can anyone else confirm this behavior? (freq 1 and 2 with maximum random LFO)

I like the sputtery, pitched noise effect, but sadly it centers the pitch sharp of where it seems it should. I wonder what's going on here... Any ideas?

I replicated the patch and can confirm that my unit does the same. It's definitely interesting. It seems like some pretty crazy science/math, like by cranking the LFO intensity with the random voltage it's like creating an oscilator in a way. and it's just unstable and the scaling is off because of the random voltage from the LFO. I would love to hear a break down of this myself. Somebody page Bill Nye.

But in terms of work arounds try transposing your osc's down by a 1/2 step. it's exactly a 1/2 step off, so if you're playing in C tune your Osc's down to B and you can play in C and it will be in tune. 

wetfood

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 02:57:38 AM »
aha! why didn't I think of that?

thanks MMYYKK!