Expression pedal control: How does it work?

idm

Expression pedal control: How does it work?
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:37:13 AM »
Hi,

Can't find an answer to this:

How does using a expression pedal (or 2) with the T work exactly? Do I have to select the sound during a live set to control its expression pedal routings/settings, or does the pedal control all sounds at the same time that have some expression pedal routings (or if the pedal is controlling note FX)?

My guess is the former, but I'm really hoping for the latter :P. It would be incredibly awesome if I can control two different sounds with two pedals at the same time for instance. Cheers,

idm

Re: Expression pedal control: How does it work?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 03:35:27 PM »
Anybody? :)

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 05:30:11 PM »
Hi,

Can't find an answer to this:

How does using a expression pedal (or 2) with the T work exactly? Do I have to select the sound during a live set to control its expression pedal routings/settings, or does the pedal control all sounds at the same time that have some expression pedal routings (or if the pedal is controlling note FX)?

My guess is the former, but I'm really hoping for the latter :P. It would be incredibly awesome if I can control two different sounds with two pedals at the same time for instance. Cheers,

You first need to decide whether you want to use each input with a footswitch or an expression pedal, and specify that in the System Menu, page 2: Foot Pedals.  If you want to use and expression pedal, choose the "Controller" option for the Pedal Mode.  From there you can choose what aspect of the Tempest you would like to control from the "Pedal Assignment" options.  You'll see options for Beat FX, Mod Source, etc.

Cheers!

bozo

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 09:29:37 AM »
Just some info
I've used a Roland EV-5 and an Ensoniq CVP-1 pedals, each has different ohm rating and so changes how the T will react parameter range wise. So what you have or buy will matter
Also various footswitches, (polarity doesnt matter as can be switched in the T)

I also use CV and gates from an A4 and SQ-1 into the T, which doesnt always work as expected, its a suck it an see as far as settings and results....
All good fun when it works and gets crazy!

idm

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 07:32:17 AM »
Settings were clear to me, I just wondered if an expression pedal modulates across multiple sounds if those sounds have pedal routed in the modulation matrix. I could've tried with an LFO from another synth right away though to find out, which I now did, and yes it modulates multiple sounds. Which is awesome.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 05:57:04 AM »
I've just tried a BOSS expression pedal.  To use it across a beat I went into System and selected Pedal 1 as "Controller" and assigned it to the FX2.  It affects all sounds when in BEAT mode which is what I wanted.  You can, of course, isolate one single sound.
Disappointment: I really wanted to be able to sweep from the deep lows of the low pass filter to the high highs of the high pass filter as you can do with the ribbon.  However, when I'm using my pedal I can only affect either the high pass or the low pass but not both. 
I'm still trying to work this out by finding the FX2 settings (SHIFT+PLAYBACK) maybe I've got to assign Resonance to FX2 instead of High or Low Pass filter?  Not sure. See how I go.

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 10:34:27 AM »
Hi
I am using a Moog expression pedal to control various things on my Tempest (with great succes).
The answer to you question is: The latter! ;)
It always work on the sound you have mapped it to, no matter what menu, pad or whatever, you have chosen on the Tempest. For me - it is super great. I often map the decay of the clap/snare/hats to the pedal, so I always can control that, no matter what else I control or where I am in the menus.
The way I use it, is to map the controls in the Mod Matrix for each sound. Then you can map Foot Pedal 1/2 to a parameter. And you can do this for multiple sounds - it won't affect each other. So basically you can map what ever parameter on whatever sound, and control all of them with the pedal - super useful!!