How to solo an oscillator

hbz

How to solo an oscillator
« on: October 20, 2017, 10:08:10 PM »
Hi!  I'm very new to the Prophet 12 (and to synthesis in general), so forgive me if I'm asking an obvious question: 

How do I "solo" an oscillator?  I'm trying to add a subtle layer to a patch, and I'd like to hear that oscillator in isolation. 

As far as I can tell, it's not in the manual.  Is there some sort of trick or workaround?

Re: How to solo an oscillator
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 12:27:30 AM »
I dont think you can solo an oscillator on the P12 like you can on the PE.  You'll have to just turn the volume down on the other OSC or a quicker way would be to go into all osc mode, turn all osc down, go out of that mode and turn up the osc you want to solo. If you are trying to discern which osc is which while you are listening to all, try changing the pitch on the the osc in question.  This way , you will hear which part of the sound is changing pitch which allows your ears to focus on that particular osc.  hope this helps

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 01:11:52 AM »
A quick reminder - if the the oscillator is synched or connected by Fm or Am modulation to others, then  listening to it solo will not reveal it's full audio effects

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 09:31:21 AM »
Regretably there is no way to solo an oscillator on the P12 at the moment. :(

The workaround I use is to turn off the other oscillators using the Shape/Noise selection knob.

This is a better solution than turning all the levels down, particularly if you had the other oscillators set at different volumes as it's much easier simply to switch an oscillator back on than it is to dial volume levels back in.

Really wish DSI would give us an option for soling oscillators though - it's probably the only thing I'd change on the P12 which is in every other way a spectacular synth.