Efx-Bug since V1.1 ?

Efx-Bug since V1.1 ?
« on: October 20, 2017, 01:18:20 PM »
Hi,

i'm a new owner of the REV2/16V since yesterday and i'm really happy with the new synth. My REV2 was delivered having an older Firmware-Version. In this state i've been going thru the presets to get an first impression of the possibilities and had no sound problems for many hours.

Now i've updated the REV2 to the actual version 1.1 and after doing this, today it happened for 2-3 times, that after (probably fast) changing to other programs , the Efx-Section only creates a fuzzy sound - sounding similar to a Bit/Samplerate-Reduction.
A program change does not remove this fuzz. If i disable the Efx-Section the fuzz will be stopped but will come back if i enable the section again. Only if i poer-down/up the synth the problem is gone.

Can anybody confirm such a behaviour? I don't believe having a defective Efx-Section, course the problem did not appear on the older firmware version.

Cheers,
Michael

Re: Efx-Bug since V1.1 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 07:24:31 PM »
New owner of the 8 voice here and I have experienced this as well. Exactly like you describe only I would say it sounded more like a ring mod fx on every preset until I switched the power off and on again. It happened several times in one day and it is definitely something with the FX because as you say, turning them off makes it go away. I've been waiting for it to happen again so I could try and investigate more. Since that first day I have updated the OS to the latest (Version 1.0.9.4) and calibrated the OSCs/Filter and Wheels. It hasn't happened again since the update and calibrations.

I had to do the calibrations three times though. The first time I had midi cables connected to the in and out and it stopped proceeding during the Osc calibration. I found a post on here about removing all cables except the power and audio cables while doing the calibrations and this enabled the calibration to finish. After the first complete calibration voices 5 through 8 didn't sound right at all. I got worried and ran the cal again, this time it seems to have worked and all is good. I do hear a very slight difference in voices 5-8 when set to Pulse or Triangle. (This was also there before the update and calibrations) It is only there in the lowest octave on the keyboard on keys F through B I think. We'll see if it starts to bother me over the next few days. Hope not because I'm loving this synth otherwise.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:33:23 PM by Chimponaut »
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 02:55:36 AM »
New owner of the 8 voice here and I have experienced this as well. Exactly like you describe only I would say it sounded more like a ring mod fx on every preset until I switched the power off and on again. It happened several times in one day and it is definitely something with the FX because as you say, turning them off makes it go away. I've been waiting for it to happen again so I could try and investigate more. Since that first day I have updated the OS to the latest (Version 1.0.9.4) and calibrated the OSCs/Filter and Wheels. It hasn't happened again since the update and calibrations.

Good to know so i'm not alone with this problem. But IMHO the calibration is only on the analog side - probably coincidentally that the problem does not appear after calibrating - probably the REV2 does a system reset after the calibration ist done. The problem does not happen all the time so it is not easy to understand when it happens (my first guess was a very fast change of the programs - using MIDI Prg-Change etc.)
Today i will use the REV2 many hours and will keep an eye on it.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 08:01:14 AM »
Well, what happened to me yesterday sounds similar. So I think I got the same effect. I was also changing the programs as far as I remember, but using the encoder. Will also keep an eye on it.
DSI Prophet Rev2

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 12:02:23 PM »
Well I spoke too soon. Yesterday after many hours of problem free operation the ring mod/bit crushed fx sound returned. I don't know if changing presets is what causes it but it doesn't suddenly start happening in the middle of playing or tweaking. If a preset loads sounding correct it will stay that way.
Changing presets will be fine for hours and then suddenly the next one will have that sound. Then they all have that sound until performing a power cycle.

Also I swear that one of my presets lost a setting. I know I had the MW controlling OSC 1 pitch in a sync preset I made via the mod bus. Later when returning to that preset the MW does nothing and the mod bus settings are empty.

Damn, so much potential with this synth but I fear it maybe be headed back to the store.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »
How about returning to the previous firmware v1.0.7.2?

It's not ideal I know, but it may tide you over until DSI fix the issues with the fx created by the latest firmware.

It's not still on the DSI website, but for anyone who wants it, it can be downloaded by clicking the link below....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/200nxgexad5240i/Rev2_Main_1.0.7.2.syx?dl=0

Hope it helps. :)

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 04:39:00 PM »
How about returning to the previous firmware v1.0.7.2?

It's not ideal I know, but it may tide you over until DSI fix the issues with the fx created by the latest firmware.

It's not still on the DSI website, but for anyone who wants it, it can be downloaded by clicking the link below....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/200nxgexad5240i/Rev2_Main_1.0.7.2.syx?dl=0

Hope it helps. :)

Thanks but I had it happen with both versions of the firmware OS.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 05:02:36 PM »
Ah okay,

So that means it's not a bug that's been introduced with the latest 1.1 firmware then?

If this was happening to you before the update, it'd suggest either a longstanding bug or worse a hardware fault with your Rev2.

I've yet to experience anything similar (fingers crossed), but I'm still a Firmware behind on 1.0.7.2.

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 02:39:36 AM »
Probably this efx-bug started earlier and i did not run into it on my first explorations of the synth.
Yesterday i used the REV2 for more than 8 hours, mainly programming my own sounds and playing directly on the synth (no DAW etc., no fast prgramm changing using the encoder) and the problem does not occur. Weird...

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 11:59:41 AM »
Just to be clear, it happened with v1.0.7.2 and the newest v1.0.9.4

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 03:12:00 PM »
Confirm same issue since firmware update.

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 11:26:53 AM »
If you folks are experiencing strange behavior with your Prophet Rev2s, please do your best to derive consistent steps for reproducing the behavior, and email support at davesmithintruments dot com. What's being described here is not something we are seeing at the office presently, on the 1.1.0 OS or on prior versions.
SEQUENTIAL

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 05:20:42 PM »
We've identified a reproducible case for the aforementioned FX issue and are working to determine its cause.

In brief, it appears that the issue may only be related to a specific patch.  If the patch is played, then the FX will sound poor thereafter.  To note, please stay away from patch U3 P29 and F3 P29 if you do not want your FX to sound poorly.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 12:47:58 AM »
We've identified a reproducible case for the aforementioned FX issue and are working to determine its cause.

In brief, it appears that the issue may only be related to a specific patch.  If the patch is played, then the FX will sound poor thereafter.  To note, please stay away from patch U3 P29 and F3 P29 if you do not want your FX to sound poorly.

This occurred to me, that it might be a certain patch that fouls things up somehow. Didn't mention it in the support ticket I filled out or in the email correspondence I've been having with support because I couldn't be sure. Think I've decided to stick it out with the Rev2. It has been truly inspiring in the 7.5 days I've owned it. There is a tightness to the low end that I've been missing in the other synths I have. And...I have barely scratched the surface where the sequencers are concerned. Think I'm gonna have to spring for the 8 voice update in the near future.

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 05:29:12 AM »

I came back to version 1.0.7 and all is ok

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »
We have just released the 1.1.0.1 OS which should resolve this issue. 

I will be locking this thread.  If you have additional troubles in this regard, please contact our technical support department.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim