Osc freq issues (and other issues)

Rico

Osc freq issues (and other issues)
« on: October 21, 2017, 10:10:12 AM »
I don't know if I'm excpecting too much, but every day there's some kind of bug or random weirdness going on with my rev 2... Had the panel boards replaced during the summer, due to jumpy encoders that wouldn't dial in the correct osc freq - when I dialed in C3 for example, it would drop a semi tone or jump up a semi tone, making it impossible to dial in the desired pitch. Lately this issue has returned, but with a twist: the freq is correct for 2-3 seconds, then jumps up or down a semi tone. Some times the oscillator pitch jumps a full octave!

The rev 2 also acts in unusual ways with my daw (logic). The controls on the synth (cutoff for example) can work fine for a period of time, and all of a sudden become unresponsive.  There constantly seems to be issues with this synth, and judging by the activity on this forum I'm not the only one experiencing it... Going to contact support about this, but I'm not feeling confident there's a fix. Starting to regret this purchase unfortunately. Feels like I'm a involuntary beta tester...

Re: Osc freq issues (and other issues)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 01:52:04 PM »
I'm sorry to hear of your problems.

I know how frustrating these things are and unfortunately you do seem to have had a bad time with your Rev2.

All I can say is in my experience DSI are as good as it gets in rectifying issues and even in adding functionality via firmware updates.

My Prophet 12 which came out in 2013 for example, received a firmware update only a few months ago, so they don't abandon their users or their products.

Unfortunately what you are describing sounds to me like a hardware fault, so it will most likely need to be returned for repair, but do contact DSI support as there may be other solutions available.

They were great with me helping diagnose the problem when I had issues with my first Rev2.
My replacement unit (which differed by only one digit on its serial number to my first one) has been fine and dandy so far, so I don't think there are bad  batches of Rev2's or anything like that.

So if you have a faulty unit (and unfortunately you appear to have one), I'd recommend just getting the problem diagnosed with DSI support and then asking for a replacement.

Good luck.

Propheteer

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 08:35:12 PM »
The rev 2 also acts in unusual ways with my daw (logic). The controls on the synth (cutoff for example) can work fine for a period of time, and all of a sudden become unresponsive.  There constantly seems to be issues with this synth, and judging by the activity on this forum I'm not the only one experiencing it... Going to contact support about this, but I'm not feeling confident there's a fix. Starting to regret this purchase unfortunately. Feels like I'm a involuntary beta tester...

Just to check, you don't have a midi loop problem do you? Are you using USB, try a single midi cable going from synth to logic OR check you are not sending data BACK out to the prophet via usb (turn midi thru off in logic midi menus). If you keep sending data back it can eventually fill the buffer as its stuck in a loop (when it shouldn't ever be) which can cause all kinds of gremlins with modern synths.

If its not that then it does sound like a major fault but  I wouldn't look at this forum and say it speaks badly of the Rev2, even as someone with the mild 'osc issue' (that's hopefully going to be fixed in firmware according to my last msg from DSI) I can't think of a higher quality, purposeful and beautiful synth for this kind of price. To me it exudes quality and is far above my Moog sub 37 for actual faults, gremlins and build (the keybeds, screen and filter knob on the moog were subject to bad issues).

And remember there's a handful of posters here with issues, vs the thousands of Rev2s out in the world in active duty and being loved by their new owners.

Don't give up on it, DSI will sort it or get a replacement unit, but plenty of good ones are out there and to me they have far less issues than lots of modern competitors like the deepmind 12 etc
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:37:33 PM by Propheteer »

Rico

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 01:59:15 AM »
Thanks @Propheteer, gonna investigate a possible midi loop!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:14:03 AM by Rico »

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 04:40:04 AM »

I experience this live when I send program changes with my Nord Stage 2EX to the REV2. I'm constantly saving patches trying to have the VCF Cutoff on the right position, together with my foot controller. But when setlist changes, it can happen that a patch seems to have done some kind of a reset of the VCF Cutoff position! For example, when I have programmed dark sounds with closed filter, suddenly they become bright and loud, with full open filter after a program change, so not corresponding at all to the setting that I've saved.

In a live situation this really can be quite embarrassing at times!!

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:41:51 AM by luk.vermeir@gmail.com »

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 03:11:43 PM »
This does not sound like a hardware fault in the least, it sounds like an undesirable interaction between Logic and the Rev2. If you disconnect all MIDI/USB and the issue still occurs, then we can say it's likely a hardware issue.

In either case, if you don't get it sorted out please contact our dedicated support channel and we'll help you out: support (at) davesmithinstruments.com
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM