Prophet12 V Rev2 video

Prophet12 V Rev2 video
« on: October 15, 2017, 05:05:38 PM »
I'm lucky enough to own both of these synths and thought it might prove helpful to do a short 10 minute video showing how they compare and what are the pros and cons of one against the other.

It's not done yet, but should be ready in a couple of days - watch this space! :)

Re: Prophet12 V Rev2 video
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 08:20:27 AM »
I'm lucky enough to own both of these synths and thought it might prove helpful to do a short 10 minute video showing how they compare and what are the pros and cons of one against the other.

It's not done yet, but should be ready in a couple of days - watch this space! :)

As a P12 owner and potential REV2 owner (studio use) would be very interested what you think of the functionality/sound considering the price of the module. The P12 keyboard cost $1200 more than the REV2/16 keyboard but the difference in price between the P12M and REV2M (desktop) is zero and the cost difference seems not to be the key-bed which is a few hundred dollars. (ref: Sweetwater)  Which one of the four is in your view under or overpriced cost/functionality/sound wise?  Worthwhile to get a REV2 or instead get P6 or OB6 beside a P12 ? (Not looking for the "get them all" answer)

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 09:22:19 AM »
Hi,

The video is coming, but I've had a throat infection for the last week and can hardly speak, so have not yet been able to do it.

Feel a lot better today though, so will record some footage tonight and hopefully have something to put up in the next few days.

The more in depth you go the more the differences shine and it's hard balance to strike between being informative and being mind numbingly boring! lol

My original plan was for it to be a 10 minute video, but the more I compare them, the more I find differences to highlight so it might end up being longer.

Anyway - it's one the way. :)

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »
I can’t talk about the OB6 or Prophet 6 as I’ve never used them, but if you’re looking at modules I think the Rev2 would probably get my vote because it’s not been ‘streamlined’ like the Prophet12 module has and offers exactly the same YI as the synth which the Prophet12 module does not.
They are very different sounding synths so which one is better sonically is subjective and largely down to the kind of sounds you wish to get from it.
If you’re after analogue sounds the Rev2 is the one, if your after greater creation flexibility then the Prophet12 is the one.
Each synth has different strengths and weaknesses.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 12:02:51 AM »
I have the P12 module. And for me it really was a "you have to try it to believe it" deal. I was really on the fence due to the lack of knobs, but I only heard good things about the UI. Now I am one of those folks. The UI is ingenious! Love it! It totally changed my view of the knobs on synths!

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »
Gutted to find that in the middle of recording the video showing the differences between the oscillators, that I have discovered a faulty voice on both my Prophet 12 AND my REV2!!! :(
I'll post a video of the issues later. :(

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 11:35:40 AM »
If you're having a problem with your synths, please contact support directly.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 01:23:57 PM »
DSI support have been contacted. :)

For anyone interested here's a short video detailing the issues I'm having...

https://youtu.be/1Dqvh7OQS4g

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 02:04:35 PM »
UPDATE

It appears to be an issue with Logic X on the Mac.

I have no issues with any of my other external MIDI synths, so I'm perplexed as to why the REV2 & Prophet 12 should have any problems, but as soon as I closed Logic both synths sound and behave as expected - Bizarre!

lt773

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »
UPDATE

I have no issues with any of my other external MIDI synths, so I'm perplexed as to why the REV2 & Prophet 12 should have any problems, but as soon as I closed Logic both synths sound and behave as expected - Bizarre!

Are you using USB or MIDI cables?

I've always had trouble using usb connected to Logic X with DSI synths, but when I switched my set up to midi cables only I have had no problems since. Hope you get it sorted out!

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 02:39:39 PM »
UPDATE

Hi,

I'm using MIDI cables, but I spoke too soon.

Even with the synth played purely by themselves with no MIDI or USB cables attached the problem still occurs, so unfortunately it's nothing to do with Logic X in my instance! :(

Thanks anyway for your help. :)

Are you using USB or MIDI cables?

I've always had trouble using usb connected to Logic X with DSI synths, but when I switched my set up to midi cables only I have had no problems since. Hope you get it sorted out!

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 06:35:08 PM »
Sorted! :)

I'm pleased to say the issue was totally of my own making and being caused by a phase loop in my audio interface, so both my REV2 and Prophet 12 are absolutely fine (phew).

Apologies for the false alarm and I'll now crack on with finishing the video! :)

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 06:41:27 PM »
Sorted! :)

I'm pleased to say the issue was totally of my own making and being caused by a phase loop in my audio interface, so both my REV2 and Prophet 12 are absolutely fine (phew).

Apologies for the false alarm and I'll now crack on with finishing the video! :)

Glad it's not a fault--that's always a relief! Would you mind amending your youtube video depicting the behavior in some way, in order to reflect your solution? This would likely prevent future confusion/offer help for others in the future.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 05:26:00 AM »
Are you still planning on making your video?

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 11:17:36 AM »
Are you still planning on making your video?

Yes,

This was meant to be out long ago, but I'm struggling to condense it.

I've filmed a lot of footage for it comparing the oscillators, effects, and the UI but it's too long at the moment and if I'm honest - a bit boring!

I just need to edit it all down a bit more, but I'm busy with work at the moment so time is scarce.

It is coming though (honest), but if you're waiting to see it to help make a decision between the two then feel free to ask any questions and I'd be happy to answer as best I can.

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 10:57:58 AM »
Two months in the making, it'd better be good...   ;)
I'm only kidding, I know how difficult it can be doing that in our scarce spare time. Looking forward to it (even though I've already bought the REV2-16 since)...  :)
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

dsetto

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 11:27:11 PM »
Brevity can be good. But, unedited & informative could be useful, too. Appeals to a certain audience. ... But, do what you think best.